What is so wrong with Transformers Energon?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ErbFan28, Jul 4, 2011.

1. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Go Dennis Erb Jr. #28!!!

News Credits:
    I had bought the entire series a couple months back. I had just finished it last night and I loved it. I know alot fans say its the worst series yet, but its not that bad. Yeah, there were probably more episodes than the plot allowed, but the plot was decent and fun to watch. I wasn't a big fan of the powerlink concept, but after seeing the end I know how important it was to the show. Kicker was quite annoying, but still tolerable. The only way I think anyone hated the show so much is if they didn't watch all the episodes.

2. DeathAnghell

DeathAnghell Beast Wars!

I never though Energon was that bad to be honest. I liked Armada better, but it still wasn't that bad judging by the few episodes I saw.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I think its biggest problem was that for the most part it didn't really go anywhere. The story went in circles at at one point, they basically did the same story arc twice.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I've always seen the show as outstandingly awful. Character arcs and development are dropped before they even have a chance to get started (remember Demolishor having actual depth in the first few episodes?), the story is made up as it goes along, and yeah, it goes in circles. This is before taking into account all the problems the dub introduces ("Hot Shot's blaster? why's he giving it to me?") into this already messy show. Factor in the terribly clunky, emotionless CG animation, and it's just a disaster. The only high points after the first few episodes are when the TFs are hand drawn, and even then it's just eye candy.

I watched all the episodes as they aired, full of hope and excitement, and hated myself for not giving up sooner.

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    It's been awhile since I watched it, but as I remember...

- The plot was sloppy and inconsistent.
    - The story ran out about halfway through, leading to the rest of the show being inconsequential filler.
    - 90% of the characters were completely flat and static.
    - Any character that started to develop in any way had that development almost immediately derailed and forgotten about.
    - The dub was rushed and insanely incompetent.
    - Characters were frequently called by the wrong names and occasionally spoke with the wrong voice.
    - Important plot points were mistranslated to either make no sense (Hot Shot's blaster) or be completely contradictory.
    - Any moment when someone wasn't talking was filled with random grunts.
    - The animation for the dub was incomplete.
    - The completed animation was choppy and rigid.
    - Cars driving in space. Seriously. Cars driving in space.
    - Kicker.
    - Kicker.
    - Mother fucking Kicker.

Mind you, that's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

6. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well to be honest, I think part of it has to do with us being cynical assholes & expecting every reincarnation of our precious Transformers to outperform whichever one we loved most recently in every way.

I'm guilty of this as well, as I honestly don't think Armada Cybertron, or Energon came close to what Beast Wars & Beast Machines did for us. However at the same time, I still plan on finishing Armada, and I'm really not against the idea of offering something different. I mean if anything, that's the way of thinking that got me to accept shows like Star Trek Enterprise, and I think it stacks up well against it's predecessors.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Eh, I liked Armada, and Galaxy Force/Cybertron. I'm able to judge each series on it's own merits, or lack thereof.

8. phoenix88

phoenix88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IT has several lows, but i respect it for what it is. Mediocrity in animation/CG form. I dont mind the CG models. YEs kicker sucks and yes the animation style is amazing when the TFs are hand-drawn. Sure the writing is circular,but having seen all of the episode fairly recently its not as horrible as people make it out to be.

I am slightly annoyed by the constant misnaming and voice mixups with Wheeljack and Cliffjumper, and Bulkead was too much of a goofball for me. But i do enjoy Rodimus' voicing. Also, i quite like the character arc for Wingdagger/Wingsaber. and Scott McNeill was rather brilliant as Jetfire and Omega Supreme

9. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    The way it treated its characters was downright criminal.

10. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Go Dennis Erb Jr. #28!!!

News Credits:
    Nothing will come close to Beast Wars and Beast Machines. The writers knew what they were doing then. Everyting a Transformers fan could ask for is in the Beast Era.

Energon was pretty entertaining to me. If we're talking about character development, Energon didn't do great(other than the good development of Ironhide imo) but neither did many of the shows including G1. I still think its better than Cybertron in the Unicron trilogy and probably close to being as good as Armada. I'm not saying its my favorite show, but I liked it. If people judge G1like they do Energon, they would hate G1. Energon could have been great if they had shortened the series to maybe 30 to 35 episodes to add good quality to the plot and shortened the cast to about 7 or 8 transformers per team. But, its still a decent show.

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Ironhide? Seriously? What development? if any character had any real development in the show, it was Inferno, but even that was wasted with his prompt resurrection.

I do.

12. AMG

AMG Old School

I enjoyed it more than Armada.

13. GPTF01

GPTF01 Well-Known Member

i think the bay movies have a more consistant plot and characture development

i watched it but i kept hoping something would happen that was significant. the whole series felt like filler

14. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Because calling a character Ironhide and then having him voiced by Matt Hill sounding like Jeff Spicoli from "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" is about the worst thing to happen in any Transformers show, ever. It made me cry tears of gasoline and blood. Seriously, that voice...I can't begin to describe how wrong it was for Ironhide? Why call the character Ironhide. Why why why?

15. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

The single greatest complaint I have about Energon is all the wasted potential. There were a ton of good plot points and plenty of opportunities for good character development.

Starscream is one of the best examples. Considering how fantastic and interesting this character turned out in Armada, it would've been so cool to see his story continued. He's been brought back to life as a mutant phantom thing with no memories. Would his memories return? Would he have to choose sides once more? Would he reunite with Alexis? No. Megatron mindwipes him into his, for lack of a better term, bitch. Wasted.

Demolisher got the same treatment. Conflicting feelings about what side he wanted to be on, his friendship with Ironhide, etc... only to be mindwiped by Megatron. Skorponok had this, as well. The dub cut out an entire episode fleshing out his character and relationships with Alpha Q and Ironhide. The dub team must have liked Inferno, because his character arc was done well... until he was brought back as a crane.

Who else? Wing Saber, Six Shot, Tidal Wave/Mirage, Alpha Q's entire character... Not to mention the other plot points, like the whole "Unicron within all of us", the planets he ate and were restored...

That's why I hate Energon. So much wasted potential.

16. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    The problem with Energon is that it's not very good.

It has a lot of bad dubbing, it neuters the plot (cutting out an entire episode that is payoff for many of the characters), it uses unfinished animation, and it actively changed some of the elements of the show when compared to Superlink.

Superlink isn't up there with Animated and Beast Wars, but it is a very watchable show that's got some solid moments in there. Galvatrons speech about being alive as he's curb-stomping Scorponok, Nightscream's actions to ease the tensions between Sixshot and Galvatron, etc. Plus there aren't any of the irratating dub filling "uhhhh" and re-iterating the plot points.

17. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's cool that you like it, ErbFan28. Somebody has to! Poor show needs some love! :D 
    I thought the first 26 episodes were okay. Not great, but not bad either. After that though, the show spirals out of control into madness. My brain felt numb after watching the whole series.
    But those first 26 were good.

18. Buzzer-Bot

Buzzer-Bot Kamikaze

Hated the dull surprise in it where they used the same expressions in situations like shock, surprised etc. Just look at Ironhide. Aside from that, I do kinda like it. Maybe because I watched it as a little kid.

19. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

I turned on my on tape of Energon episodes the other day and I was embarressed to look at the animation. The CGI cel shading was terrible and the actual animation they did was the same movements on a repeated loop for the entire conversation. It was at its worst when ever they transformed and were suposably driving (or even walking) on the ground.

The only good animation came from scenes where they ignored the computer models and just animated it by hand, like that scene where one got forced into the Energon Grid while tied up to a rocket. Outside of that the animation was just untolorable, and the voice acting (mostly the directors fault) was for the most part rather silly and goofy, and pretty much lacking any type of respectability or believability. There was way too much uncontrolled and halfarsed/miscalibrated yelling going on.

Which is a total shame in my view because Energon had the potential to be a great series. The concept was good. I liked the powerlinking gimick and some of the characters and their color schemes. It's just that it was so awefully and poorly executed when it came to the show. It seemed like they rushed the whole thing. I think fan dubs could do better than that.

20. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Go watch Superlink. All of you.

I never bothered with Energon as I was watching Superlink at the time. I'm in a very small minority, but I think Superlink is the best of the japanese TF trilogy. And I do have in mind that the show was created, written and animated to appeal to 12 year olds. So no, I'm not\was not expecting Stargate Atlantis\Firefly\Battlestar Gallactica writing from any TF show, especially japanese ones.

The good things the actual show had, as opposed to the DUB? Most characters had amazing voices--Inferno, Hot Shot, Nightscream, Wheeljack, Scorponok, Bruticus [heh, yes] all stand out, with Galvatron not far behind. Nobody is mis-called at any point, no missing episodes [they even made a 500th episode special that's pure fanwank].

The plot is nothing extreme, basically Alpha Q trying to revive Unicron in order to re-create his homeworld. This is ambiguous in the first half as he raids autobot bases. Megatron's corpse is inside Unicron, and catches drift of this. He re-directs his followers and resurrects himself, trying to take control of Unicron's power for his schemes. Optimus and his team essentially try to curtain a second coming of the god of death, both by Alpha Q and Galvatron later on. Rodimus shows up to help Alpha Q because he feels responsible for the loss of Quintessa. Ends up joining the autobots for good once Galvatron prevails as a threat. Galvatron re-takes Cybertron, uncovering ancient secrets and gestalts. Unicron eventually possesses Galvatron, who, being a husk for years and finally ascending to power, decides he's done being bullied around\toyed around and commits suicide. War ends, Autobots win, Unicron's essence is gone.

No circles or anything in that plot. I do agree that the series has some wasted potential-Nightscream and Demolishor are gone for good, but the rest is handled well. You do get insight on Scorponok, you do see Laserwave's mad desire for power, you do get in Inferno's head once his arc comes up.

Kicker is annoying, but he's the typical hero kid that japanese kids are supposed to connect with. He's an anime archetype, a loud brash hero that fights against impossible odds. If anything, he's miles and miles ahead better than the kids in Galaxy Force that did nothing more than run around yelling "Galaxy Convoy, big trouble!".

Everybody has their opinions and taste, and I respect that, but this is anime, transformers or not, and can't be objectively judged from an incompetent dub or from expectations of a fandom who can't fathom the target audience for this sort of shows.