What is so hard to understand about different continuities?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Philliam20, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Philliam20

Philliam20 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    After a thousand different people, making a million different posts on the subject. I don't understand how people still do not understand that over the past 25 years Transformers has followed various storylines and completely separate continuities. In the last 25 years there have been at least 7 different US animated series since G1 (Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Armada, Energon, Cybertron, Animated, and Prime), more comic variations than I can keep track of, 3 movies, and even a video game with a unique take on the Transformer's history. Yet just to use the newest iterations as an example there is always somebody complaining that Transformers Prime or now Fall of Cybertron got something wrong, because it wasn't that way in G1. For example the Dinobots being on Cybertron in Fall of Cybertron. Personally I am impressed that the developers are at least using the backstory that Shockwave studied life on Earth, saw the power in the primal beast forms, and gave said beast forms to Cybertronians. It is quite a nod to the intelligence of their fans to provide that, rather than just say "hey we threw Dinobots into the game just to increase the wow factor, so that we will sell more copies."

However, there are still numerous complaints about how Dinobots can't be on Cybertron, because they were made by Ratchet and Wheeljack on Earth, blabbity blabbity blabbity. Please loosen your grip on G1 people yes it started it all, and just about every series uses some elements of G1 as a baseline, but they should also be allowed their own creative process. Am I the only one that can't understand why people want everything to be a carbon copy of G1? Any thoughts are appreciated, and I did not mean to offend if you are one of those people who complains when a new series does something different from G1.

2. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

people just like to complain.

that sounds like a cool back story about the dinobots. i love all the different ideas and continuities in transformers.

what they did with baroness in gi joe rise of cobra was unforgivable though.

... and i think its stupid bumblebee is now mute in 2 different continuities (that im aware of).

opinions are like a*******...

3. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I still can't handle Superman flying or Batman not using a gun, because that's what they did in the early stories.

People need to loosen up and allow back stories and history for fictional properties to evolve and grow with the times. Within reason, we don't need Watchmen 2.

I agree with the OP, it's not like Hasbro are changing G1, that still exists with Grimmy being made on Earth by a disabled lad with a terrible name, this is a different take on things.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It requires work to understand, and people aren't down with that in a lot of cases.

5. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's right. Things will get stale if we just keep telling the same stories over and over. Half the fun of different continuities is seeing the different ways things can happen. I'm starting to feel like things are staying too similar to G1.

TRUTH.

6. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Granted I haven't kept track of complaints or whatever. But that sounds like a big straw man. Most fans DO accept alternate continuities and their differences.

Btw, Beast Wars is G1.

7. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

wait, What? Superman can Fly? what the hell man! superman doesn't fly he leaps! what are DC doing?

8. PlasticPawn

PlasticPawn Active Member

I would have to agree with OP as well, I am new to the online trading communities, however, many of my friends from local trade groups and shows have a hard time letting go of the G1 lien of thought. I do find that the newer younger traders/collectors/followers have an easier time enjoying the aspects of all lines/continuities of transformers.

9. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    I think there's too much work involved.

It's not like there are multiple resources available that are free on the internetzs or print guides that are pretty easy to get that do the 'splaining for us.

EDIT: I'm a bit surprised that the continuity contortions that a DC or Marvel fan has to undergo don't transfer to TF fandom. I'm not sure what's so hard in the core concept of "multiple continuities." But "I get it." Even the transition from G1 to G2 made fans do this work, if they were on board.

10. HulksmashU

HulksmashU Multiversal-Conqueror

Comic fans seem to handle differant continuities better /:

Its so weird!! just because your a fan of giant robots doesn't mean tehy cant have differnat continuites like Superman!

11. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    Just check TF Wiki, it lists every continuity and the family they belong to. Really I don't see how this is so complicated.

@Everyone who thinks this: What is so confusing about this idea?

12. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Um - WHO exactly are these thousand people, and where are these million posts? I've been here a few years, and I can't remember anyone being utterly befuddled or refusing to accept multiple continuities.

And btw, Beast Wars IS NOT G1. It ties in to the G1 CARTOON, but as your own post says, there are multiple continuities - many for G1 alone, and nothing to say they all "end up" with Beast Wars.

13. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    Sorry dude. I meant what you said, lol.

It's not hard because there are so many free resources.

14. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

yeah...but which G1?

thats the question.

15. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    You don't have to apologize, I was just confused by how you thought that.

Yes, it's not hard.

I believe he's referring to GeeWunners that can't seem to get it through their heads that not everything is G1. Also he was being hyperbolic.

True, however it's pretty clear a G1 continuity leads to it. It's likely not one we've seen but that's enough to make the statement "BW is a G1 show" accurate.

16. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    I forgot my second "not" in the sentence, thus marring its sense.

Indeed.

I like standardized terminology but I can't say that I go for tfwiki's distinctions of continuities, continuations, and micro-continuities.

Though they usually try to distinguish between the media source of the continuity and toys don't often form their own continuities.

17. Koolimus Prime

Koolimus Prime Weapons Expert

:puke2: 

18. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    It doesn't matter :D 

*watches Kor's head explode*

19. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

some stuff will continue as in G1 (leaders...) but other stuff changes, I would like to have transformers with completely new characters (or at least not any g1 based character)... or maybe with some of them, but not the iconic ones like Optimus Prime or Megatron... just to show that there are MORE than just those leaders (something like the BW series did, also some of the Japanese G1)

20. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What bothers me is people who say "G1" and they mean the Sunbow Transformers cartoon. Marvel comics was G1 too, as was Blackthorn, and Devil's Due, and Dreamwave, and many many others.