What is required for a good likeable human character in a series that the fandom will accept?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bass X0, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Of course, there can never exist a single human character that will universally appeal to everyone. Make them too good, too deep, too focused upon and people will complain they're taking space away from showing the Transformers.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Mr JackatooTM

Mr JackatooTM I'm a Colossal boi

News Credits:
    Google+:
    I say that the Rescue Bots cast is good.
    They're enjoyable and are useful and they don't take too much time away from the Transformers.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Dropkick

Dropkick Worse aim than Misfire.

Google+:
    YouTube:
    Someone who's not annoying, has characterization, and not there just for the Lawlz.

Teen Titans GO!, Energon, and the Movies are examples of having bad characters.

• Like Like x 2
  4. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The good qualities of Cade Yeager with a better actor.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Galvatross

Galvatross Make it Mac Tonight! Veteran

Whoever they are, they should be someone who chooses to help or befriend the Autobots rather than be forced or required to.

The thing is if Transformers are truly sentient beings, and, "Freedom is the right of every sentient being," that means Transformers and humans alike in Transformers fiction should be shown making their own decisions. That is why I am not too keen on humans who are forced to be allies of the Autobots because of their job be the main human protagonists.

6. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    1) Not be a stereotype
    2) Be a normal human being
    3) Don't take away screen time from the robots

• Like Like x 5
  7. Zook

Zook Evil Incarnate

YouTube:
    Don't be a child. Any giant sentient robot with half a processor would be like, "no kid, it's too dangerous for you here."

Don't be written by Michael Bay or his lackies.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

They need not to pull focus but being our eyes into their world is normally quite good. Not being a child would help, teenager is probably okay. Don't have them be stupid is another major one.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

The thing that's always bothered me the most about human characters is that they are totally useless.

G1 has those Exsosuits tat were introduced in the movie. I'd be nice to see an updated version of that but have one of the Autobot scientist/medic types invent the suit for the human companions around the fourth episode that way they have something to protect themselves and fight back with.

Energon Kicker had a suit that offers no real protection but I kinda like the design. They could take some design ques from that when updating the exsosuit concept. Also as dumb as his Energon finding ability was at least it gave him something useful to do.

Movie humans are unrealistically useful killing several Decepticons and Autobots. Though movie Transformers are also gappy as hell making it more believable that they could be killed by humans. But the Transformers should look more solid and humans shouldn't be able slide down the side of a collapsing building and survive. Also the story should be focused on the title characters not these stupidly over powered humans.

Animated has those super powered humans which depending on their powers can be hit or miss.

Prime had that Apex Armor which Miko used and is kinda the closest thing to an exsosuit but it's intended to power up larger bots, makes me wander how the hell a human can even pilot it, and doesn't have a vehicle mode.

AoE, Prime, and Rescue Bots has introduced the concept of human built Transformers. If they could do something like that where some Transformers have human pilots rather than Sparks, that would be cool. But they should stop making them all villains cause the Autobots are the ones who mostly team up with humans, they should be turning blank protoforms into human piloted mechas.

For the most part human characters are just there reacting to stuff that's happening around them and not actually contributing to the story... Why even set the story on Earth if humans aren't going to actually get involved. They're just in the way.

• Like Like x 2
  10. herugrim

herugrim Defiler of Energon

Ebay:
    Give them a reason to be there, something logical, not maguffin, not babysitting.

A team of soldiers would make sense. They can join in combat. Why haven't they made a tv crossover between GI Joe and transformers yet?

And engineer/scientist who can at least help fix then up, develop new tech, maintain the base, etc...

They have had similar characters but they always play second string to the children. It doesn't make any sense for transformers to maintain contact through children.

There were no kids in Transformers or GI Joe when I was little and I liked both of them just fine. You don't have to involve kids to make a show for kids.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AMG

AMG Old School

Just have them be entertaining and helpful. I thought Sari (for example) was a fun character that added to the show and was useful to the Autobots. That's the kind of human I like in a TF series.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SaberPrime

There was an episode of season 3 G1 where Chris Lotta guest stared but not as Stars cream. They just called him Old Snake but it was pretty clear from the helmet who he was.

Also Marissa Fairibore who was a regular character on the show was actually suppose to be the daughter of one of the Joes.

Also did you grow up during the Beast Era because that's the only time there were no kids... or humans of any kind. I don't know about G.I. Joe I never got into series on it's own but I would imagine that they would never have children around because what U.S. military is going to recruit children to fight against terrorists? Though to be fair the original version of Bucky Barns before the movies was a ten year old. I'm glad the movie changed his age cause it made more sense for him to be over 18 as that's the only way he's be able to get into the military. The comics made him a kid cause boy side kicks were really popular at the time.

13. SaberPrime

So the kind of HUMAN you want is someone who is NOT human?

14. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Hey!! She was part human! TechnoOrganic....Some of Sumdac's DNA was in there too. :D 

But there were many times she got on my nerves, not Kicker style, but close... she wouldn't listen to advice and instructions at times and got into trouble which could have been avoided.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I'm sure they had their detractors but I don't recall any serious complaints about Coby Hansen (from Cybertron), Jack Darby (Prime), or Cody Burns (Rescue Bots), and several people liked them.

Coby could actually repair Cybertronians (for some reason), and made a drone to help out as well. He also could hear the Cyber Key Signal or whatever it was.

Jack initially didn't want to be part of the "Team" and was in some respects forced into it. Even then he was more of a babysitter and idea man then front line warrior. Heck, as I recall, there was a point where even Megatron respected him because of his actions.

Cody was the link between the Rescue Bots and the Burns family, since they all liked him; when he was put in danger they both worked together to rescue him, which started the teamwork. Later on, his interest helped shaped the bots personalities as he helped them become more rounded individuals; later his genuine friendship with all of them was something that they reciprocated in spades, even if it wasn't always for the best for the bots (Such was when they tried to keep him safe and did a rather poor job at it, while his Pioneer Lad training has provided the skills to both survive and thrive on his own in their new environment and later return all of them home).

So from them, someone who is useful not in combat, or front line work, but as support in unexpected ways, who is letting the Transformers be themselves, but also fitting in. Who does the little things, rather then stupid grand actions, but when the cards are down, rises to the occasion periodically.

16. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    He/she has to be a bland, nice person wihout any "look what i can do" parading around crap.
    In short it has to be the human equivalent of IDW Skids.
    So Captain Lennox is the perfect human.
    I doubt anyone can find fault with him.

17. BumblebeeFan71

BumblebeeFan71 Loyal Starscream Follower

Well... I found Cade to be a pretty good written character. Only times when he came off as "Ugh" was when Mark Wahlburg was given bad scenes to work with. I will forever despise the submarine scene for making me go through five minutes of boredom and frustration. But nonetheless I still considering Cade to be a well written character, examples of that being AOE and only the first act of TLK. I would count the final act, but he only had one or two well written moments which couldn't make up the fact that he didn't contribute much except running around and nearly getting killed.

Now people are free to disagree with this, since it's my personal view, but a consider a well written human to be helpful, interesting, and intertwine with the story of the Transformers. I like the human characters that are willing to help out the Autobots any way they can, but don't overshadow the Transformers themselves. It's also why I like other characters like Sari, Agent Fowler, and Spike. (That is when Spike is being helpful instead of in the way.)

18. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

I guess you didn't grow up watching G1 because Spike was a kid

You must have grown up with Beast Machines

19. GogoDG

GogoDG Come and help me somebody quicklyyyyyyahhhhhhh!

Twitter:
    In a series about war where the fuck can you put a child or a human character for that matter and don't start me about the army. Why can't we see a TV show or a movie about the War for Cybertron. I can see there being some really cool ideas. Take some cues from WFC and FOC games and some stories from the IDW comics and you're done.

20. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

No kids. The Armada kids were annoying and Raff and Cody from Rescue Bots are annoying knowalls.

No kid scientists. Again Raff.

No over the top annoying pests like Leo, the Headmaster, Simmons or Miko.

No ridiculously stupid humans like the Animated villains or Lord Chumley.

Kids don't need to be spoken down to. As a kid, I preferred the more intelligently written Marvel UK comics to the G1 cartoon.

• Like Like x 1