What is on Hasbro's "short list" of classics?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by cowscows527, Oct 13, 2006.

1. cowscows527

cowscows527 Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I recently heard that Hasbro plans to keep the Classic line going if it sells well. So far it seems to be, but as I only hang around transformer fan websites, I kinda get a slanted view. It looks like it's doing well enough to produce some of the other ones they have considered.

I heard Arcee was on the list, but are there any others? I know that they haven't released an actual "list" but have they given any indications for other ones? Specifcally I'm hoping for an insecticon to compliment Grimlock.

Thanks for any and all responses.

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The ones I remember are Galvatron, Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, Cosmos, and more Dinobots.

3. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    I've only heard from Botcon reports that Jazz is on there.

*EDIT* D'oh! How could I forget that Hasbro wanted to do Galvy, Dinobots, and the Lambo Twins?

4. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Arcee is on it too.

5. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I thought they said she had been taken off the short list.

6. cowscows527

cowscows527 Well-Known Member

Galvatron eh? I would be all over it if he was an actual canon, and not a repaint of Classics Megatron. More dinobots would be cool, but again, I'd prefer an insecticon as a direct opposition to Grimlock (a dinobot) and would be another decepticon to even out the ratio of autobots:decepticons.

7. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually in the Hasbro design panel at Botcon they said we wouldn't be seeing Cosmos, which is why they showed the design sketch. I don't remember Archer's exact wording.

Something about it being packaged in alt mode and it being difficult to market a green disc...

It is unfortunate because it looked awesome.

8. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

They could find a way around this problem. Make him a store exclusive packaged in robot mode. Even better, create another, cooler-looking-alt-mode figure (maybe one of the other minibots, like Windcharger, Seaspray, Powerglide, or Warparth) and sell them as a two-pack. Or a versus pack with a Decepticon.

A Warpath/Cosmos two-pack would look great... land and air, red and green.

9. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Yeah, they took her off the short list and put her on the short bus! budum cha!

10. Rama Sha

Rama Sha Tosche Station Pimp

Ebay:
    You know I've always been a little confused on "The Short List" cause it seems three different comments have been mushed together to make up this short list. There was the comment that said that if Classic continued they'd like to do Jazz, Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, and Cosmos next. Then there was another comment that the team would like to do Galvatron, Arcee, and the rest of the Dinobots, then there was another comment that Thundercracker was "coming"

I haven’t seen these three comments lumped together in any of the reports from Botcon, but they have all ended up on the unofficial shortlist. In my mind the only figures on the shortlist are Jazz, Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, and Cosmos. As they said they wanted to do them next. With Galvatron, Acree, and the Dinobots on the Longlist. And it sounds like Thundercracker might be on his way somehow (Most likely an exclusive or a 4th wave of repaint Classics.) That's just what I took from all the comments.

Course all of it is moot if they decide not to make anymore Classics, which would be a shame.

11. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Guess I got the short list and long list confused. Anyway, they were both cool lists. I hope they get to do enough waves to make them all.

12. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Ohhh no way! Granted, the LAST character I ever thought I would get excited about would be Cosmos, but when I saw that concept drawing, my opinion of him vastly changed. Don's new rendition of him was seriously bad ass! I never thought they could take one of the weakest looking G1 characters and turn him into what they did - a real Transformer.

Very disappointing news that they might have axed the idea of making him a Classic.

13. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    They said Classics would continue if they sold well enough, and among collectors it's obvious they're a huge hit. Once they're saturated at toy stores we'll see how well kids take to them. I just hope that if they continue they run beside the Movie line, not stopping for it and resuming later like Alternators is supposed to do.

Which is the great example about how success can make a line stick around, remember, there were only supposed to be 6 Alternators and when the line goes on hiatus, Ravage will be #26, not to mention the extra Binaltechs and new remolds in the Kiss Play line. I'm willing to bet Classics will be continuing passed what Hasbro planned, too.

14. Rama Sha

Ebay:
    Well they never said there was a longlist. It's existance is my opinon. By saying there is a shortlist that implies there is a Longlist that the figures on the shortlist where selected from. Saying "So and So is on the Shortlist" is a lot different then saying "There are only a short list of Characters we want to make." A lot of people panicked thinking the comment meant the latter. Now I can't speak for the Hasbro team, but in my mind they meant the former as that's the only way I've ever heard it used in that context.

15. Rama Sha

Ebay:
    I hope so as well. Considering I don't much like the movie designs. Having as little as two waves of Classics in that time period would be a nice island of hope for people like myself that don't really like the designs used in the movie, while still getting the movie toys into the hands of those that do like it. Everyone is happy. Taking Classics away completely to focus on the movie will just make me resent the movie designs even more...not less. After all Toy Biz didn't stop making Marvel Legends when they were making Spider-Man 2 toys.

16. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

17. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    i hope this lien continues alongside the movie as well...maybe since they are seeing how much we love them, they can plan now to have them run along the movie, and then TF heroes should use these toys as well...maybe make megs a tank for that, but nothing else should change...id love to see all the dinobots, i just hope the rest would transform the same as g1...

18. Cyclone_X

Cyclone_X Cybertronian Warlord

Cosmos can be packed in robotmode then, Energon Battle Ravage was in botmode as well, and not being a store-exclusive (that Cosmos design rocked, non-fat!)

19. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Way I heard it (from one of the Botcon report threads), they want to make a proper Galvatron, not a Megs repaint.

And if I had to guess, I'd say that Classics is probably going to be around for awhile. Every store I've found them at has seen them fly off the shelves. It's way too soon to tell, but I'd be really surprised (and disappointed) if the Classics aren't extended beyond the currently planned line-up.

20. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Holiday Two Pack. BWANG! ZOOM!!