What is it with the 'barely' repaints recently?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Macross7, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While it is a fact that Transformers will always see repaints in it. It has had them since the early G1 days. However, it seems that recently, some of the repaints are barely different from the previous version. Animated Bulkhead's repaint is very close to the 1st one. ROTF's Mudflap looks pretty much the same to me but with some deco on the side, ROTF Ironhide's repaint of Jungle looks close to the 1st to me (which both are close to TM1's deco). Animated Activator BB is also pretty close. THere are others I'm not thinking of.

So why is Hasbro not making the differences great enough? Red movie Ironhide has been asked for for years. A good difference from the others. Make Animated Bulkhead a SWAT deco. Not sure about others but I'm more likely to buy a mold again if there is a bid difference from the other release.

2. Nightwing24

Nightwing24 00 Agent

News Credits:
    Cause it doesn't cost them much and they know kids and completists will want them.

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Character recognition. It's easier for a kid to recognize a certain characters if the base color scheme doesn't change much. Optimus Prime and Bumblebee are the top two that Hasbro has mentioned that are characters that kids love. Basically the theory is that they'll sell more toys if the characters are more recognizable to the kids.

4. Macross7

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why would painting it similar to the 1st version cost any less than a totally different paint job? Lets use Ironhide as an example. Does repainting him with a different shade of grey & some lightning deco cost less than using red plastic? They are repainting him either way.

5. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I think the numerous minor bumblebee repaints in a short space of time would lead completists to question that collection strategy.

Yet here's a set of repaints I'd be happy to complete(including several not pictured):

[​IMG]

And even non-completists like a full set of seekers.

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    They're probably holding onto a red version of Voyager Ironhide for movie three, after they've flogged the mold to death in every other colour possible, and then just when people are fed up of seeing it over and over they'll hit us with the red one people have been waiting for since the first BayFormers.

7. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I wouldn't really see any reason to have to heavily repaint Jungle Ironhide, since that thing is mostly about the remolding and weaponry added than any new colorscheme.

8. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    They could also have a repaint in the works for the later waves of RotF, for all we know. Now that they've repainted the Legends and FAB molds in red, it's just a matter of time till they do the same with one of the Voyager class versions (could be the original or one of the two retools).

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I dunno - they might think the red Legends and FAB are enough for now. They're teasing us by showing a bit of naked leg around the door frame.

10. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope by movie three they'll give a new ironhide mold all together ala rotf prime

11. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    Oh my god, that would be wonderful. A new Voyager Ratchet mold in the correct colors wouldn't hurt either. I'm getting the upcoming Deluxe one just for a custom.

12. Macross7

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They could have given him some sort of jungle camoflauge repaint. Or just a dark green color.

13. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    ^THIS^

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Nothing more needs to be said.

15. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I would imagine that it is done to keep the most popular characters on shelves in incarnations that are close to screen accurate. Not done so much for the fans, but for the kids who want Bumblebee as he appeared on screen, and missed the earlier versions of him.

Might be a good one for the Q & A, if someone has not already put forward that question.

16. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Yes please, I'm dying to know this! Submit it! :) 

I find it too bad. There's been multiple times already where I wouldn't mind buying a second version of a mold, but the new colors were so close to the original (or looked like they were selected by monkeys..Animated Bulkhead repaint, I am looking at YOU!) that I just couldn't justify it.

At least movie 1 had a black Bee and a Cliffjumper..ROTF so far has what? 5 Bumblebees? And they're all yellow. :/

17. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    To be fair though, Movie 1 Bumblebee was like Bigfoot in toy terms. The ridiculous demand for that one figure and the Premium repaint (which in terms of presentation was a slight-redeco like the ones mentioned in this thread) lead to insane scalper prices and an extreme shortage of Bee's. Hell, I only found one in a rural Kohl's several months after his release. It makes sense, Preview Bee only hit saturation in certain areas because he was packed 4 to a case, but I've only ever seen Cannon Bee on the shelves like twice since Wave 3 started hitting stores.

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I posted a question to that effect a bit back. Whether it gets used ... or answered ... is another matter.

19. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Jungle Ironhide isn't so much a redco as he is a major retooling job. Most of the toy's details and even the basic playability of the figure was reworked. Frankly, I think of "Rambo" whenever I see Ironhide in that lightning decal job, I'm not sure why...

Tuner Mudflap is, admittedly, a VERY poor repainting job. But then again, you can't really make the character anybody else since, hey, who ELSE has the set of misformed arms with the missile launcher and an ugly face like his?

20. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Your mother.

:p