What is it that excites/excited you about Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Autobot_Wall-E, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

We've gotta have a reason for being so into these things, I know everyone does for whatever their into. To rephrase the title: what is it that makes you like Transformers so much?

For me, the fight between the forces of good and evil is always fascinating to me and I really like it when the good guys are outmanned and outgunned but still win as the Autobots constantly are. From a toy standpoint, when I was little I would play with cars for a while and have a great time, but then I'd get really bored of them since cars can't go on adventures or defeat bad guys so I'd switch over to action figures. With Transformers, I could do that on the fly and never grow tired of playing.

2. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Growing up in the 80's. Always loved robots and cars. Since these are both, what's cooler than that?

3. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Just the whole idea of robots transforming into the coolest vehicles and other objects, locked in a war between the forces of good and evil is what made me like Transformers so much.

4. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    It a robot, that turns into something else.

It's awesome. Plus the mythology is pretty cool, too.

So everything about Transformers. Aside from R.I.D - Cybertron.

5. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

When I was a little kid, it was 'cause robots are cool.
    Now that I'm 20 years old, it's 'cause robots are cool.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Robots that turned into animals and acted like people. It's just cool to see these guys that are so likable and human and, well, they're robots. On top of that, the toys were great. Not just because they looked like the characters on the show, but also turned into the animals they did on the show. It's hard to describe why robots that turn into stuff and fight are cool when, well, that IS describing it.

7. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

I always loved the fact that you got 2 toys for one, and they were the same item. It always seemed like a no-brainer to choose transformers over other toys that DIDN'T transform.

8. Evil Dead

Evil Dead Well-Known Member

I like ditching reality on a daily basis, and Transformers is one of those things that allows me to do so. Because you figure there's a lot of crap that goes on in the world, but if you have some kind of story to fall into and forget about everything for a bit--well then, things don't always seem quite as bad as they otherwise would.

Also, I just enjoy stories where there's lots of action with solid characters--I very much like the personalities of each Transformer, and how they interact with one another.

9. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    Sexy Arcee. The way those smooth sheets of metal just make here look and ....Damn, I think I just creeped myself out.

I always liked how they were two toys in one -- action figures and whatever they turn into whether it's a microscope, a truck, car, jet, or whatnot. And they provide a nice escape especially when people start making great photocomics about them (but they need more Trailbreaker :p  ).

10. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Grew up as a fan in the 90's. So I openly prefer Transformers with beast modes over ones that have vehicle modes. Even though the focus has changed, I'm happy that I can still buy beast mode transformers. Even though they do lack the faction logos I grew up with.

I do enjoy seeing great series like Beast Wars and Animated. Seeing how characters change over a series. Seeing the overall story taking shape. Seeing the great works from legends like Gary Chalk, David Kaye, and Scott McNeil.

11. jaimanstone

jaimanstone Autobot Warrior

I got my first Optimus on my 5th birthday. Been hooked since.

12. The touch79

The touch79 Sparticon

I always enjoy seeing the big robots go at it in some good battle action. I love just how the bots keep persisting and work as good role models for it's viewers. I have to be honest, I stick around for the cheesy lines too! :D 

13. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Always been about the toys for me

14. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

The fact that there is something going on that we can't see right in front of our very eyes.
    Huge, alien robots fighting a civil war but they are disguised as vehicles and objects we encounter in our everyday lives.
    In the fiction, it brings an element of paranoia into our lives and the whole conspiracy theory along with it, but on a universal scale.
    The fact that we are not alone in the universe but most of the population will never get to find out about it.
    That plus the characters. Transformers has some of the best personalities ever created in popular fiction.
    The cherry on the cake is the awesome, awesome toys.

15. 643cade

643cade Well-Known Member

As a kid? ZOMG transforming cars!

Now, it's a little deeper than that lol. Still love the car/robot thing, but I also really like the more meaningful stories behind the TF brand, the differing continuities, the characters, etc. And of course the toys lol. :) 

16. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    I'm probably going to get shot for this answer, buuut - the downright sillyness of it all.

I'm still watching the G1 cartoon (I'm up to Megs's Idiotic Plan) and the sheer not-maky-senseness of the episodes amuses and delights me. It's like Star Trek: TOS - massive dedicated fanbase and plenty of mythology to sink your teeth into, but at the end of the day you have to stretch your credibility a notch to believe most of the episodes' plots. Bayformers is the same - I went in expecting an okay-ish storyline with some kick-ass special effects and maybe one or two jokey scenes, and that's what I got. Probably why I get on so well with ROTF when most of the fandom wants to set it on fire.

It's also why I'm firmly dedicated to GEEWUN and Bayformers (with a splash of TFA when I can find the damn DVDs) and not so interested in reading the comics or watching The Unicron Trilogy. Too serious, not enough fun. I want my ham-fisted robots who don't notice that their leader has suddenly had a massive personality change and has started calling Ironhide Bumblebee, not some big heroic mess complete with so much B'AWWW that you could start a LiveJournal community.

17. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love a lot of the fiction, but the engineering in the toys is what really appeals to me.

18. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Many things. In no particular order:

* I grew up with this. As a child, the Marvel UK comic was my weekly stop for action and excitement. I loved the toys - there was just something weighty (literally) about them that I responded to, and the whole changing from one form into another etc.

* The core concept is one that's just so entertaining

* It is a franchise that - bar some fanboyz whiners (and they are few) - freely and willingly updates itself regularly to continue to appeal. How many other franchises have been going NON-STOP for over 26 years? (and yes, TFs have - they may have stopped for a year or two in the US, but we in the UK and Japan continued to get our fix in the early 1990s). Even the other evergreen toylines e.g. Star Wars, GI Joe etc, have not had such persistent popularity and success. I attribute much of this to a) the core concept and b) the willingness of both creators and fans to continue to embrace the new.

* Supporting literature: The Marvel US/UK saga will never be beaten - it was groundbreaking then (stories like Target: 2006 and Time Wars were meant for six year olds? wow!) and is legendary now. Dreamwave, IDW etc - don't hold a candle to it, but can still be entertaining at times. I don't watch the cartoons, so can't really comment, but by the sounds of things they are also entertaining and add to the mythos.

Just a few thoughts - I'm sure there's more. Bottom line - ENTERTAINING AND FUN!

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

For me it was the characters. To be honest I wasn't really into the Transformers toys back then because GI Joe with it's ton of articulation, cool vehicles and Cobra was the coolest thing in the whole world. Oh but the cartoons and the Marvel comic books were so my thing.

I know people might hate me for this but I liked how human the robots were compared to other cartoons. It's those little moments outside of fighting that made them so cool. The way some robots were just fascinated by Earth while others felt like they couldn't get off the mud ball fast enough. The way Prime was like every great hero ever with a shot of John Wayne thrown in or how damn pompous and arrogant Starscream could be.

I think that's why it's so easy for me to get into Transformers stuff with great characters but so hard to get into something Transformers that doesn't have great characters. On down side though that means something new is well underway before I'll know if I like it. Sort of like it's impossible for me to say if I'll like Transformers Prime or not until we've had a few episodes to see what the characters are like.

20. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

The characters. I just love that they gave them all such distinct personalities. Plus they're action-oriented, which I love.