What is it about the fans on these forums?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Jetplague, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jetplague

Jetplague Michael Bay is evil!

Don Murphy's boards are full of in-fighting, nasty comments to other fans and belittling to anyone that isn't up to speed with ALL of the TF universe (Toons, comics, techguides, toys...etc). Everyone wonders why the makers of this film are ignoring some suggestions or even the talk back from the fans...gee...could it be they're complete assholes when it comes to reading their posts? They scream in large text, try to out "know" the TF universe with each other, and even insult the guys trying to bring this movie to life for us all. Sure I've said my piece a few times and been arrogant in some of the changes...but I'll at least give someone the benefit of the doubt for their suggestions too.

I was never really steeped into the fandom as many would be...and something tells me I should be glad for that fact. If I produced a film or show that the fans acted like this for...I'd probably want to tell them all where to go too. Chaos...it's utter chaos. I have nothing but sympathy for these people now...having to read through all the crap being recycled over and over again as they rant on and on about who's the better fan, what the movie should (or in some case MUST be like) and even mocking others for not knowing enough of the TF lore. Nice.

Fans are a fickle bunch.

2. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Yes.

And that's all there is to say about that.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

:lol 

I'll second "yes".

4. Roller

Roller Keep on rollin'! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Alot of it has to do with the medium - the internet. Alot of people say things on the internet that they wouldn't say face to face because there is relatively no consequence for being rude or obnoxious. I bet when Don Murphy met with fans in Toronto, the fans were more conservative with their comments than they would be on a message board.

The one thing that actually does bother me about fans being rude or obnoxious on the boards to any of the people involved in the movie is whether or not it would discourage the movie people from making a guest appearance at Botcon. It probably wouldn't have any affect, though, but I wonder.

5. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'll second his second.

I've not gotten involved in any movie related discussion becasue;

1) I expect everything to be turned on it's head.
    2) I don't really care about 1.

6. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Edit *argggh crappy server*

7. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, yes too. I don't frequent too many TF boards on the Net. TFeXtreme used to be a friendly site but that site got hacked. Since then I've found TFW2005 to be the most reasonable. Fans seem to help fans here, and I've rarely seen a wise-azz answer to any newbie (or long time fan for that matter) asking an "uninformed" question.<O:p </O:p 

8. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, totally agree with your post...the one thing that stands out that the moderators and senior members of this board are polite and do their best to help everyone - even newbies. Long be it be that way! :D 

9. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Your post contradicts G1 cartoon continuity.

You call yourself a fan?

:rolleyes2  :rolleyes2  :rolleyes2  :rolleyes2  :rolleyes2  :rolleyes2  :rolleyes2  :rolleyes2  :rolleyes2  :rolleyes2 

PS- I pray you know I'm kidding!

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    nevermind

11. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

*coughs* Dead and buried come to mind.

12. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Personally, I simply talk to the civil people and ignore the asshates. Also, I second the opinion that some people on message boards use the anonomity of hiding behind an internet screen name to act like a total prick. I just remember that alot of the jerks wouldn't dare talk like that in public, becuase they'd be to affraid that you plant a rock solid fist in their face. :lol 

13. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

that's why I stick to 2005 :) 

14. Dio

Dio Scrapper

You would think that people would behave differently in person that they would with the anonymity screen of the internet. WRONG. BotCon 2005 taught me that these guys are just as big of dicks in person, in public, as they are on these internet forums. I was actually in shock from it and wanted to go home halfway through the event, and filled with pity for the Hasbro reps, the IDW guys, the convention organizers... luckily I stayed around and got to experience the rest of the great show MC put together, and plan to go back with a renewed sense of enjoyment and awareness this year if I can make it happen.

I commonly tell people that trip taught me how "not hard core" I am. But that was also when I broke and realized I cannot put up with that sort of behavior anymore. Now I call it as I see it, and have probably irked a fan or two in the process, but many need to learn to behave like the adults they are and stop being so petty and demanding.

What the Don Murphy forums did was give these people a forum to air their wishes, and a sense of empowerment over the direction the movie could go in. Empowerment is the LAST thing fanatics need, and I fully understand why Don was on the verge of a nervous breakdown because of it. He said it best himself - after all this time letting fans discuss their likes and dislikes, the one thing there was any concensus on was "maybe Cullen and Welker should try out." That's sad. It's pathetic and asinine. And the worst part of all is, the voices of moderation that might have been able to organize some sort of agreement were drowned out by the threads where everyone would have to jump on a closed-minded idiot and remind him why the movie isn't going to be a period piece, or that mass shifting is a corny and unrealistic element to try to include in a live-action movie.

I hate to say it, but between BotCon and the interaction over this movie, I've seriously lost a lot of respect for fans. I'm not running around on witch-hunts looking for people to point fingers at, but I am now having a lot less fun with the fan community because of that lost faith. Now I just stick to news and try to be a voice of reason.

15. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'd rather not have an ongoing thread to bash another board or its users. We appreciate that people love to come here and hang out. And we respect the peopel that choose to go elsewhere for their fan interaction. I say we leave it at that and just do our best to have a good time and enjoy the fun things in the fandom, and try our best to block and ignore out what is negative.

Remember, just have fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.