What is it about new Transformers...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Wyvern, May 13, 2011.

1. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah and thats why I cant do it, one toy becomes a $1000 collection before you know what happened

2. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Hahahaha. Yeah. I've been through that. I got a bunch of 25th Anniversary Joes. A bunch of clone troopers and recently a bunch of DC Green Lantern Classics figures.

It's like I get bitten with a bug and I can't stop.... sometimes. Those movie toys I saw, if I were to uy one or two I know I'd have fun with them cause they look cool and their gimmicks looked fun. But I know I'd get tired of them sooner rather then later. That's how I end up with figures I don't really want. I just got rid of a bunch of Armada/Energon/Cybertron and movie figures I had accumulated during impulse buys. It's hard selling off toys lol. I don't want to do that again. I'm trying to cut down to figures I really want. Not just figures I think are cool.

But I'll tell you guys this, if Shockwave would have been at that Walmart... I would have bought it as fast as possible.

3. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Only a few days ago I was exchanging posts with someone how we won't be buying many DOTM toys, then yesterday I saw them for the first time on the shelves.
    The difference between you and I is I forked out $47 for a deluxe (Roadbuster) and a HA (Backfire) :redface2:  But what can I say, I love seeing new toys on the shelves.

4. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been having that happen to me with Marvel Universe and a few GI Joe.

5. Fonecrusher

Fonecrusher Megatron wants YOU

I've never collected Bayverse stuff before in fact the only movie toy I had before DOTM was a ROTF Mixmaster and Leader Starscream both of which I got for dirt cheap at a sale a couple years back. But I had a look at the DOTM stuff and for some reason I really like it, the new designs of Crankcase, Shockwave, Sentinel Prime, The Wreckers etc. caught my attention now I've got about 6 figures already and I think I will stick with it. But yeah before this I really hadn't paid any attention to any newer stuff (Unicron Trilogy, Animated) apart from CHUG. I think I'll definitely collect TFPrime as well though.

6. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I saw the movie toys last night for the first time. I looked through them but had no inclinations of buying one (you have no clue how much that says)

The last time I ALMOST bought a figure for the sake of needing a fix was at the end of BM. No new TFs were coming out and I needed a fix. I almost bought Buzzsaw but fought off the urge and kept to my rule of show characters only.

Yes,1 Transformers is not just a hobby, it's an addiction!!

7. bulletthebluesky

bulletthebluesky Mmmm... Beer

I have a problem that whenever I go to the store, I HAVE to go check out the TF section. Even though I KNOW that there is nothing out that I want. Like some in this thread, I guess I just like seeing new stuff on the pegs. I have no intention on getting anything from DOTM, but I'll be happy to see ANY new stuff out at the stores.

8. Geof7609

Geof7609 Brake Pioneer

New is NEW, and therefore better than anything that came before it. At least, that's what marketing's been telling all of us for decades & we're naturally conditioned to react to NEW with "Oh hey! I might need to buy this!"

That said, I found a bunch of DotM Deluxes & Voyagers a week ago at a Walmart. The only character they had that I was interested in was Crankcase & I was about to buy it when I realized how crazy small he seemed. Ultimately, I decided not to get anything since there wasn't anything there that I really wanted NOW. Then I found Generations Wheeljack & Thundercracker the next day & was glad I hadn't spent the money earlier.

9. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    A lot of gijoe fans wound up picking up a lot of rise of cobra figures despite their aesthetic problems. Just because their fans of gijoe toys and want to experience the new stuff. Maybe its the same deal for you, as a fan of transformers you see aspects of these toys that are true to style you prefer. I'm not saying their all going to be as universally great as Generations has been. But there is a lot of new Transformers product bringing variety.

In Joy and Sorrow we find our way, underneath the sky so blue, there is nothing I would rather see than the shining dark of the moon.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  10. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I saw some RTS stuff like Perceptor and G2 Optimus, and I ALMOST bought them, but decided against it in favor of saving up for a larger toy.

11. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    A.D.D...

I feel like a kid all over again, play with it while it is fun for about 5 minutes, than look for a new one. Only this time, I don't just discard the toy, I display it.

12. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    Even though I hate the new movie stuff with a passion, I still found myself looking through unopened boxes at Walmart last night out of curiosity.

13. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol 

It happens to me all the time. I see a new figure on the shelf and I am almost always compelled to buy it.

14. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

I was so close to buying a Sentinel Prime before I stopped myself. I'm only going for Shockwave this round.

15. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    New = Shiny = Want

16. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

if hasbro didn't change the packaging it wouldn't catch my eyes. i blame it on the packaging. that's why it gets a lot more attention. that's why even during the times when there are no TF movie when HFTD came out it got its own name and packaging. tak/bro could cut on packaging but the company knows that new packaging always gets attention. this happens with other toy lines as well which i don't even collect. any changes in packages in the toy aisles are noticable.

if you put DOTM BB in an ROTF or HFTD packaging you probably won't even think about buying it.

17. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have hated the movie toys since they first came out in 2007, but i still have about 100 of them, yup, its called plastic crack for a reason :( 

18. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    Thats a future I'm looking forward to. If ever have a son, I want to be able to introduce him to all the old cartoons that I enjoyed as a kid. Just gonna save my movie-verse toys until that day comes.

19. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Well, that is precisely why they change the packaging often. It's rather clever.

Now we'll have a thread whining about Hasbro's underhanded packaging tactics.

20. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Hahaha that is too funny. I've been there... I know how it goes. Lol.