What is it about money/fame that changes people?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by star_ling, Sep 18, 2009.

1. star_ling

star_ling Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    that and being in the lime light? Why does it almost always seem to warp good people and make them for lack of a better word "ugly"?

I was looking at people like Kanye West and his incident this past week and can't help but wonder is it the money? Fame? inability to cope with issues in private?

I never really enjoyed rap music but his early music was so great and different from the faux gangster rap that you still hear and then all of a sudden he kinda just changed. His ego has gotten far to big and he seems on a unavoidble downward spiral. He's just not likeable anymore. It seems celebrities like him, Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Chris Brown and others just turn for the worst. I don't follow their lives in magazines and such but what I do hear is sad. To a degree Michael Jackson's later life is an extension of that, at times I don't know whether to pity them or what.

What do you guys think?

BTW - Is it funny I never heard of Taylor Swift till this happened? Not to condone Kanye's behavior but she like came out of nowhere.

2. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Kanye's a douche. Anyway, having money means having power. If you have power well, your ego can inflate a little.

3. star_ling

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When he first emerged I thought he would be different. Ah well, what can you do? At least he realizes that he needs to take some time off and re evalute his life.

4. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    There are plenty of people out there who have revealed the ugliness of their character without the benefit of money or fame. All the fame does is shine a spotlight on it.

5. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I don't think anybody really knows why fame and money corrupts people like that. Well, maybe psychologists know, but honestly... I really don't know why it seems like people who become celebrities end up transforming from good people to the most nasty, selfish jerkwads ever to walk the planet.

I'm not saying that all people who become rich and famous end up like this. I'm very certain that there are rich and famous people out there who are still good, down-to-earth citizens. It's just celebrities like Kanye West really seem to get the most attention in the media, and it can really distort the way we think about people who are rich and famous.

6. comaface

comaface Crush, kill, destroy

Yeah, this.

For all we know, these people were assholes long before they got rich and famous, but nobody heard about it until then for obvious reasons. Or hell, maybe the cause and effect are reversed; it could very well be their inconsideration for others is what helped them get to where they are in the first place, as they aren't afraid to step on other peoples' toes to get 'ahead'.

I'm also not entirely convinced that they're any worse than the non-famous, except that their prestige and power allows their douchebagotry to operate on a larger scale (and also increases the scrutiny laid upon said douchebagotry).
    Like, I know plenty of people who would have no qualms with jumping in and ruining somebody else's moment in the (usually figurative) spotlight; it's just that few of them have the opportunity to do so under a spotlight as large as something like the MTV Whatever awards.

7. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

Kanye should have blame it on the al-al-al-alcohol baby. I have no negativity against Kanye until that night. I don't know him therefore I won't judge him based on that one act. for
    Maybe because so many people "idolize"/scream like they won the lottery/look at them like they are a role model.

I won't give any celeb that power. Power corrupts.

8. Evil_the_Nub

Evil_the_Nub Well-Known Member

He's done more than that to make an ass of himself. That was just the cherry on top of the sundae.

9. star_ling

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah THAT is very true, and I guess some people put on this mask of how they want you to view them. It's until something unhinges them that you see them for who they are.

I won't and can't say that about him as a person, since I don't know him or any celebrity like that. He just seemed like a really good guy up until a few years ago. Maybe he still hasn't gotten over his mothers death, maybe he just doesn't care anymore. Who knows? I also agree that it doesn't always take money to make people act this way. I'm sure for those who have changed they never envisioned themselves like that.

I can't ever imagining myself doing that. Oh and why is Megan Fox still getting so much attention? They mentioned her along with all the famous singers there that evening. She has yet to do anything noteworthy to me. It's not that I hate her or anything but the media keeps throwing her out there that I hate hearing about her.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  10. star_ling

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This as well. This topic is addressed more towards those who do change because of money. There are obviously exceptions to this rule but I was focusing more on those who prove it.

11. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    It is in human nature.

Some of us act like we are controlled like puppets, human nature tugging on you.

Only some see or realize the strings. IMO.

I think that's what causes it.

12. star_ling

News Credits:
    Ebay:

I'm not sure I follow, care to elaborate?

13. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    Okey dokey, :) 

I believe in human nature, we all/some believe it's a bunch of barnacles.

But it is like a addicting drug, you deny and deny, but it comes on you.

My puppet/ventilouquist comparison, is human nature is the ventriloquist,
    whilst we are the puppets.

14. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

It's called Entertainment and they are Entertainers. I think that about explains it all.

15. star_ling

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What's entertaining about watching people throw their lives away?

16. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    Not that I am calling smkspy a what I am about to say but,

sick sadistic people who enjoy watching people suffer.

17. star_ling

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Unfortunately.

There is nothing enjoyable about suffering. Sick is the only word that fits individuals like that.

18. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    Tis, sad how there are people out there that get a joy out of that garbage.

But some enjoy seing the big, wealthy and snooty, fall like blocks for a baby.

I know I do.

19. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    I'm still
    [​IMG]

20. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    Let me let you be

[​IMG]

What don't you understand?