What is important (your next purchase)?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SydneyY, Mar 1, 2010.

1. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    When you buy/plan to buy your next TF, what aspects do you take into consideration?

A. Character (regardless how good/bad the toy is, because you like the character in the cartoon/movie you want to own their plastic form.)

B. Figure articulations (the toy looks like fun to fiddle with!)

C. Overall looks (May not be much play value there, but a damn good display piece)

D. Homage (he reminds you of that favourite toy/character)

E. Price/Size class (Rather own 1 Leader class toy than 4 Deluxes - prices vary)

F. Transformation (You enjoy new inventive transformations)

G. Completion's sake (no interest in the toy, but you are trying to collect a whole series)

H. Availability (You need a new toy NOW, so grab whatever on the shelves.)

I may not have worded them well (sorry), but that's all I can think of :) 
    As for myself, it's often B, and sadly E.

2. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    A. Character (regardless how good/bad the toy is, because you like the character in the cartoon/movie you want to own their plastic form.)

C. Overall looks (May not be much play value there, but a damn good display piece)

D. Homage (he reminds you of that favourite toy/character)

F. Transformation (You enjoy new inventive transformations)

Bolded are majors, italics are minors.

Example: I love Universe Cyclonus because 1) who he is, 2) how posable he is, 3) he looks awesome. The sweet transformation was a nice side benefit.

3. Nemesis Chris

Nemesis Chris mental minibot

i'm gonna say i normally go with a, b, c, d, e.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    A, B and C.

5. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:

6. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A and C.

7. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Ditto

8. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Hmm, hard to decide. I guess I'd have to rank them from 1-8, 1 being the least important, 8 being the most important.

9. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    A. Character Plays a major part in buying decisions, I've got loads of Megs and Ratchets as they're my favourite characters.

B. Figure articulations Doesn't really come into. Articulation is nice, I wouldn't be without it in modern stuff, but having grown up with G1 I can live without it.

C. Overall looks I've bought a handful of ROTF, maybe five, some for characters, some for looks i.e. Ejector, ICT.

D. Homage See character. I've desired a Straxus for a long time, so am looking forward to Darkmount.

E. Price/Size class Not really a consideration.

F. Transformation Not really a consideration. I never watch reviews as I don't like having the TFation spoiled.

G. Completion's sake Not in a completionist sense, but to an extent. I.e. Saw TFA Grey Shockwave for the first time today, but passed as I've got the purple one. Almost have all the TFA characters now though.

H. Availability Bought loads of stuff like this last year, have been selling it off. No impulse buys so far this year, aiming to stick to that.

In summation, A+D, followed by C.

10. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    All of them except homage and completion do to an extent. But the others, in order of importance, would be A, B, C, E, F, H.

11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    A. Character (yes)

B. Figure articulations (somewhat )

C. Overall looks (very rarely as i value playability over looks))

D. Homage (rarely)

E. Price/Size class (only sometimes if my budget won't support a large transformer purchase i go with the smaller classes)

F. Transformation (on occasion if I know the transformation is a needlessly complicated ill avoid it ( ROTF Leader prime was an exception)

H. Availability ( yah if its not available to be sold i can't buy it can i?)

12. AMG

AMG Old School

Character and/or looks of the toy are all I care about.

13. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Used to be A only. Now, character, looks, homage, and availability-for-a-good-price are all among my most important metrics.

Not a completist, and quality/originality of transformation is more like a bonus. I appreciate the articulation but my figs spend 99.95% of the time standing on a shelf, so I'd rather have one who can stand (looking at you, Samurai Prowl!)

14. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    probably just B and C.

15. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

All of the above whenever possible.
    My first set was to have the toy's I had as a child for nostalgic reasons. Which explains my Kaltor. Next is to get as many of my favorite G1 characters as I can!

16. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I'd say it's a little bit of all of those, except for Transformation. As long as the alt mode and robot mode look good and accurate, I couldn't care less how it gets from one to the other.

17. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A. Character - I bought Deluxe Rampage and the big Devastator because of them being in the second film, not because the toys are very spectacular.

B. Figure articulations/C. Overall looks - For me, these go hand in hand. Limited posability isn't a killer, but it sure as hell doesn't hurt. I display my stuff in 'bot mode, so that's usually a bigger draw for me than the vehicle mode.

D. Homage - I have a weak spot for random repaints (Energon Roadblock) that are homages to G1 characters. New molds of non-movie/show characters that reference other characters (RotF Brawn & Dirge, or even RotF Lockdown and Animated Blackout) will attrack me too.

18. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hommage (classics)

completion

character

19. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I might buy an Optimus next or perhaps something like Device label Ravage.

20. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm not sure. I usually buy one a week, as I don't buy or do anything else accept take care of the kiddos. I usually have a preset plan in my head of what my weekend hunt/target is. If I can't find what I am looking for, I pick up the next best thing.

With the ROTF line being homages lately, I am big on picking up homages. I am a mold completionist as well. I like to have at least one of every mold, then if there is a good repaint, I will pick up another.

But first an foremost I look at what everyone has been getting and figure out which one looks the coolest in my mind, because I like to take pics of them. But if a Transformer has a crappy transformation or something I don't like, he goes to the back of the list. And if a rainy day comes and I need a toy, I'll pick it up then.

I'm not big at picking up human alliances, ultras, leaders and supremes on the spur of the moment. Partly because I am not an ATM. Those are usually something reserved for birthday gifts and such from my kids. My wife will take the kids shopping and pick them up with the kids for me.

I also don't pick up any imports usually. Mainly because of price. I know there are alot of nice stuff out there, But I don't want to go crazy. Limits are good, especially for me. Cause I got a little OC in me and it could get out of hand in a hurry. That's also why I have a 50 dollar limit per toy.

Don't know if this answered the question, but this is the process in which i buy tf's.