What is everybody's inspiration?

Discussion in 'Transformers Funnies' started by Spoon, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Pretty much what the title says.

Just say what inspires you to make your comic, and write about the things you write about. If you can, provide any links to YouTube, Wikipedia, TFWiki, etc. to share your inspiration with us all, so that we might be inspired too!

Also, if you wish, try making direct links between your works and your inspirations. :D 

For me?

Primarily, 3 things inspire me in making 'Children of the Revolution', and they are:

a) Ultraviolet. This was a short-lived BBC series from the 90s. It was about as close to perfection as any TV series can ever achieve. It's all up on YouTube these days, though I highly recommend purchasing the DVD. Linky: YouTube - littlecupcake3009's Channel

b) Terry Pratchett. In his Discworld series, and his most recent book, Nation, Pratchett has provided me with and absurd amount of food for thought. Whenever I read his books, I am always inspired to keep thinking about issues and themes present in a lot of fiction.

c) Doctor Who. This show brought me up. I love it. I love it to tiny bits. It influences almost everything I do.

I hope this thread goes well. :D 

2. Robticon

Robticon Out of the Game

My inspiration, is derived from a lot of the good comics here.
    For example, after reading Warring at play all the way through, as well
    as Autobot Burnout's funnies, I was inspired to write my own funny comic.
    :/ That's all I got. Other wise I'd say I had the ep. 1 pictures just sitting
    in my hardrive doing nothing but take up space. (I had taken them before
    I knew of the funnies section .)

3. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    We need more discussion threads in here. :D 

Interesting story behind my inspiration. I was mostly inspired by Calvin and Hobbes back in 2005-6, when the strip started. However, it never took off, simply because I couldn't export the images. Boredom was what started my strip up again.

Most of my influences are Doctor Who (Wish I'd been brought up on it. :lol ), 30 Rock, and most of the comics on here.

One interesting thing about Wreckers though, I got the idea from a combination of I Am Legend (Haven't seen it, but I get the gist), Planet of the Apes (The original one), and Out of the Dead Land.

4. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Hmm. Interesting.

What are my inspirations for making 'Beyond Your Wildest Imagination', you say? Well let's see:

1) This is obvious but the first inspiration would the 1986 Animated movie. Namely, I wanted to make my own version that would try to do everything right where it was done wrong in the original. That, and I also wanted to make it bigger by adding elements like Primus and the Thriteen into it.

2) It's fanfiction. Before I got back into TFs back in 2007, I was a Harry Potter fanfiction writer. When I got back into TFs, I wanted to do fanfiction for TFs now but in a different way than before. Hence, webcomic making.
    For those curious, my Harry Potter fanfiction can be read here, here, and several other places I can't be bothered listing.

3) The Classics line. After I started collecting them, I started to think that I really wanted to do something for them and then suddenly, thought I could make a comic of them.

5. Nagi-Oki

Nagi-Oki Tracks-O-Phile

Ebay:
    It all started around Christmas last year for me. I had been so busy with Christmas baking that I didn't have time to draw comics. So I brought out the TFs and took pictures. On New Years' Eve, I experimented with putting pics together in a format and bingo bango boombo, SIDE B was born! A New Years' Baby!

For me, SIDE B is inspired by cheap jokes, sight gags, slapstick, sarcasm, and punchline humor. Ya know... THE LOST ART OF TRUE COMEDY.

The back story that sort of developed is more or less background in my head. I have the characters in mind with their quirks, personalities, and thoughts in my head. I just grab a Transformer or two from the shelf and the comic more or less writes itself.

It's not hard to write SIDE B, we're part South Park, Part Family Guy, Part Sitcom, Part crazy crap I think of at work.

6. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ooh I've been waiting for a thread like this for ages :) 

Our Darkest Hour has a lot of inspirations, and I'm sure the ones I list here are by no means all of them. Nonetheless, I shall attempt to recount them all.

1. My girlfriend. She encouraged me to write this, provides quite a help when it comes to characterisation and dialogue and sometimes buys me useful toys for the comic.

2. Optimus Prime. He's such an iconic character and for many of us, he is Transformers. I want to explore what life would be like for the Transformers in a world where Prime was gone.

3. European Inter-war History. I'm a huge fan of history and one of my favourite periods is inter-war Europe. In the study of demobilised soldiers, enemies forced to be friends and traditional allegiances shattered, one can find a lot of inspiration for a comic dealing with this subject.

4. TF Funnies authors, every damn single one of you. We've got everything here from silly fart jokes to gripping drama, and it's a privilege to be part of it.

5. Universe Onslaught, because he'll beat me up unless I keep working on this comic :lol 

7. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Nice stories y'all!

I should probably say why I started making it.

Well, I got into TFs with the '07 movie. And then I felt like getting the toys.

Then I thought, I'm a 16 year old with toys, what the hell? So I justified my ownership of them by making a comic. :D 
    Speaking of which, when are we seeing an update? It's been forever!!!

8. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm setting up the damn camera now, give it another 5 or so hours. Yes, I'm slow :p 

9. Spoon

Spoon Banned

*starts tapping foot*

Let's hear some more stories to pass the time!

We should get a bonfire going. With marshmallows to toast.

10. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

mine is:

Twisted Toyfare Theater,
    Seinfeld,
    comics,
    comics,
    comics,
    and my frustration of not being able to produce a comic that is widely read. this exercise with funnies is helping me rectify that though. i've been a fan of sequential art for as long as i can remember and now i'm getting a chance to fulfill that goal in some form so it makes me happy that people read my stuff and want it to go on. :) 

it's really a great means to put what i learned in comic writing class to good use! :D 

11. saberconvoy

saberconvoy Well-Known Member

Mine is

Anime

other comics

Manga

Vids on youtube

and When i play around with the tfs.

12. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

Whoot! You can't go wrong with Calvin and Hobbes as your inspiration! I'd stay away from that Dead Land strip though. It sucks, and I've heard the writer's a total git.

13. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    um lets see
    1)it's kinda fun :) 
    2)get to dramatically kill and not get in trouble:ev: 
    3)see what I can do with GIMP :p 
    4)sideways might cut off my head like he did skids if I stop now...:crazy: 
    5)an excuse to play with plastic crac- i mean robots.:D 

14. Autobot-Girl

Autobot-Girl is possibly insane

:D  Let's seee...my inspiration?
    Well, I first ventured into the funnies forum a little while after I first joined TFW, I guess I got started wanting to make a comic when I saw how fun it was for the authors. I'm an avid book reader, mostly scifi and fantasy, and at the time I lived on a very busy street away from all my friends so I couldn't just hop on my bike and go over places :(  and it would get immensely boring, so eventually around Christmas I got my first camera (after asking for one for months) and going by some of the tutorials here I got Murphey's LAWL started up!

15. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Grimlock_13's attempt at funnies is what got me into photocomics. Obviously my wtf?@TFW comic is based on the podcast.

16. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

:lol 
    You scare me, p13...but [url="http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-funnies/91307-autobus-primes-blurry-robot-theater-35.html]Wheeljack's beatdown of Pinky[/url] in my own comic was directly influenced by annoyance with my boss that day...:) 

I think inspiration has many parts. There is the fuel, and there is the spark. Here was the earliest fuel:

Crazysteve's hilarious comics:
    crazysteve presents:The Adventures of Car Robot
    crazysteve presents The Adventures of Car Robot

He had a "Minibotcon" report that I haven't refound, but which I referenced in my own comic. I don't think anybody got it. :D  Crazysteve's brand of humor is a lot like my own, I think.

The notorious As Cybertron Turns:
    As Cybertron Turns: A free Transformers toy web comic strip starring Optimus Prime and his Ebay-Acquired Autobots!

Shaxper's beautiful spacecraft interiors spurred me to design sets of my own. I also liked his general freedom from continuity constraints, and his quirky, mismatched teams.

The Insecticomics, an ongoing inspiration:

In Space, No One Can Hear Starscream - Like a ham and cheese sandwich with fins

I enjoy the great characters in this comic and the lighthearted atmosphere, and the meandering plot. The gag-a-day with ongoing-plot format is the one I've tried to use.

Then there is this place, and it would be unfair to single anybody out, because there are so many excellent comics. Just the other day I looked at some I hadn't gotten into before, and found out that they were fantastically funny! All of you are an ongoing source of inspiration and encouragement.

A major change directly driven by this forum's authors is the use of GImp, which has really helped improve my images, lettering, and effects. There are so many good ideas for effects out here...somebody comes up with one, and it improves everybody's comic.

That's the fuel. Now for the spark: in 2005, war was beginning. Er, I was playing with Energon pieces, and made a motorcycle. I put Cruellock on it. Something clicked, some deeply organic link between Godzilla, motorcycles, and silliness. I had to brag, and I had a 320x200 (!) webcam to take pictures with.

There was the comic, and there was the title, because the pictures were AWFUL. It was only supposed to be about the dino and his bike...the early numbers all start with "ec" for Energon Cycle. But then I thought Rawk might be the bar-going type..and then he ran into a cop...and so it went from there.

It's a shame the title looks like a Toyfare ripoff. I didn't even know about the Twisted Toyfare Theater at the time. I was thinking of Segar's prewar "Thimble Theater" newspaper comic, which is a favorite of mine. I'm too attached to the title now to want to change it, although sometimes I worry it is scaring off readers. :D 

TL,DR! And now you know...the rest of the story! Good day!

17. Spyro

Spyro Banned

My friends, my neighbors, school, & my cousins.

18. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

hell yeah, wayward's got some pretty awesome reads! i really like the fallen taking care of grimlock's "dinobabies"

19. Strarf

Strarf Crystal Convoy no more TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Other comics, TF fiction, many TV shows and movies.

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I didn't know that man, thanks! :) 

My main influences for my funny comic are Futurama, Simpsons, older Family Guy, Calvin & Hobbes (high five, G-Fruit!) and things that happen in my daily life.

I haven't been able to update it for awhile, but for my serious comic I've always had an affinity for apocalyptic stories (I try to picture the Terminator movies when I'm writing scripts for it for example). Also, it helped me finalize the title, as cliche as it is ;)