What is/are the best Gundam game(s) for the PS2?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by netkid, Mar 30, 2010.

1. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    I've had a PS2 since GTA: Vice City came out and have been a fan of Gundam for years, but I never bought any of the games.

I have heard that most of them were just "okay", with exceptions being "Encounters in Space", "Gundam vs. Zeta", and "Federation vs. Zeon."

The only Gundam game I've ever played was "Journey to Jaburo", and that was only in multiplayer a few times.

However, I've regularly read up on most of the games, especially when it came to finding out which suits were playable in which games.

I'd like to have some PS2 Gundam games, so which ones are the best?

2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I own "federation vs Zeon" and it was pretty fun but I would like to highlight some of the following:

i) the mechs moved in a lumbering manner with the Gundam and Gelgoogs having the most mobility;

ii) beam rifles (or other guns) must be given time to recharged

I believe they have "secret" missions.

I didn't play the other 2 games you mentioned but I read that they are pretty enjoyable.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    federation vs. zeon is great. capcom was actually the developer on that, so that probably has a hand in it (banpresto/bandai handled the arcade-to-console ports to DC and PS2, so most resourcers out there list them as the developers ).

Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam is a pretty damn good game too. but not as good as federation vs. zeon.

never played encounters in space.

I liked journey to jaburo okay. wasnt great, but I was able to enjoy it to some degree.

out of all the UC games for the PS2, the only one I outright hated was Zeonic Front. just couldnt get into that at all.

4. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    I like SEED as a series, and the Renkou vs ZAFT II is supposedly a really good game based of SEED.

5. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    These three are some of my favorite games. Encounters in Space is my favorite of the three. I also recommend Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2.

Buy Federation vs Zeon first. Then get Encounters in Space. Gundam vs Zeta Gundam is like FvsZ redone with a heavy dose of Zeta, so get that after you've had some experience with FvsZ and want more. DW:G2 is very time consuming and a little repetitive, so get it after you're through with the first three. Avoid Zeonic Front like the plague.

6. netkid

News Credits:
    What about japan-only Gundam games?

I heard the one with the Ez-8 was good.

I also heard they release Gundam games as "best of's" with all the best levels in one game.

7. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I havent played many Gundam games or know the titles of them, but I do recall Zionic Front. That game has got the highest learning curve of the bunch I know and is about squad warfare than a mobile suit dancing around the field destroying enemies. You also pilot and roam around as a Zaku II grunt instead of one them spiffy Gundams. :D 

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Reading this thread reminds me that I need to borrow my brother's copy of Dynasty Warriors Gundam sometime.

9. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    I liked the PS1 2D fighting games, Battle Assault.

10. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

I have Journey to Jaburo, Zeonic Front, Federation Vs. Zeon, and Encounters in Space. Played through them all pretty thoroughly. My favorite is Federation Vs. Zeon. It's kind of hard to explain but it basically has to do with how the Gundams control. It just feels right. It also has around 30ish Gundams which is more than enough imo.

11. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    Battle Assault 3. I hardly know a thing about Gundam, but that game kicks ass.

12. netkid

News Credits:
    Yeah, I've been wonder how that one is.

God Gundam, Master Gundam, Wing Zero Custom, and Tallgeese 3 are secret characters. How are they?

13. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

Those are great games, and I also vote the same way Hot Shot does, in that order.

Journey isn't bad. Not so great either. Has some neat suits, and fun modes. Get it cheap only.

Lost War Chronicles is cool. SD Gundam G Generation Wars is great. Gihren's Greed is awesome. All the Super Robot Wars are wonderful, highly recommended, and come stacked w/Gundams. Tons of Gundams, especially in the Alphas. Another Century's Episode (1, 2 and 3) have lots of Gundams, play like Armored Core (since the AC guys did it) and have tons of other mecha in it also. It's basically like a SRW in an action game.

Best part is, to play the games, you don't need heavy proficiency in the language. Simple menu translations off gamefaqs and the like is more than enough.

14. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

All of that is what makes it one of the best Gundam games for the ps2, it's like Rainbow Six with Mobile Suits. Which is awesome.

15. Transfotaku

Zeonic Front is also FRIGGING HARD. Even the training missions have no qualms about destroying you in mere seconds without the chance to fight back.

It's also not very mobile. They're called mobile suits. The ZF suits all feel like statues that move in the wind.

What's the game where you can fight as the RX-78-6 Mudrock? I quite like that design. In fact, anything in the RX-78 line that is NOT the -2 is a really awesome design. Anyway, I forget what suit lets you fight with the Mudrock.

16. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    Wing Zero kicks ass. He's easy to use too. Tallgeese 3 and Master Gundam are meh to good. I don't remember god gundam.

17. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

You say that like it's a bad thing. Don't forget it's not an action game it's a tatctical squad based game.

I kind of liked that about it. It was a nice break from J2J and FvZ. Besides aside from Doms and the Rx-78 series most Mobile Suits were shown to be kind of lumbering when fighting on earth during the OYW era.

18. netkid

News Credits:
    Scroll to bottom:

RX-78-6 Mudrock Gundam

He was in 2 different PS2 games.

19. Transfotaku

Oh good. I'll be playing as him when I get further in LWC it seems. And I was afraid his only USA game was ZF.

I wish I got that one FIX Fig toy of his twice. One for RX-78-6 Mudrock mode and one for the other mode (78-5? Or is it -4? Whatever). Then HG 78-7. Have a nice set of RX-78s for a wicked display setup.

20. netkid

News Credits:
    I heard these 2 games are pretty good.

I can barely find any info on these 2 Gundam games. So far all I know is they are only available in Japan (right now), and have many of my favorite mobile suits in them.

I know Battle Report has 8 player online multiplayer and 4 player online co-op.

Does anyone have any more info on them? IGN and Gamespot have little to no info on them.