Customs: What is an acceptable level of visible brushstroke? Will clear coat help? Fixing mistakes?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by iuJacob, Mar 11, 2018.

1. iuJacob

iuJacob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Several questions here:

Alright, so I’m working on a TLK Voyager Prime.

Using Tamiya acrylics, which I know are not ideal for brushing, but I bought a ton of them before I knew that.

Started with the sword and shield first. I did a basecoat with a Krylon flat black primer/paint.

Drybrushed silver over top.

Here is the video/artist I’m comparing it to:

This is the guide I was told to use to achieve the results I like in a custom (the artist says this is the guide he uses):

Basic Guide to Painting Transformers Figures

I’m working on some of the detail parts now with wet brush. Paint has been thinned with Tamiya acrylic thinner.

I’m still getting brushstrokes. To me, this seems unacceptable when I compare it to the quality of what I want. So,

A) Do you just not see brushstrokes on people’s videos (like the one I’m using as a guide)?

B) Will a coat of future render my concerns moot? Does it hide smaller brushstrokes?

Next question:

As you can see on the shield in the picture below there are details where I have painted over (the blue crests on the top, and the red stripe down the bottom) that have now hidden the details that really popped with the drybrush. How do I fix these mistakes? Drybrush over top of them again? Start all over and be more careful?

There are some details in the sword that were buried, as well.

What would you guys do to remedy these problems?

FC50D1EE-871F-4B0B-80C5-C9026C363999.jpeg

FC389ECA-05C4-4729-A054-F77FE681043C.jpeg
    1ED0DAB3-D521-4320-8511-54E66DB8FA27.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm using acrylics with brushes too, I lay it on pretty thick I don't tend to see brush strokes.

I think the sword and shield look good

3. Grimwolf100

Grimwolf100 Well-Known Member

if im understanding smaller brushes , maybe thin out the paint a little bit more with multiple light coats and a new rubber eraser to wipe away any stray marks. hope this helps

4. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

You are using too much paint thats your problem. Its better to layer it down one layer at a time rather than coat it on thick blobs. Do one layer, let it dry even if the coverage seems transparent. Do another layer etc etc. Certain colours such as red and yellow particullary demand this method of application.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thundercracker Blue

Thundercracker Blue Well-Known Member

Agree completely. Thin your paint with a bit of water (I usually start with ~1:8 water to paint) and lay on multiple, thin coats.

When you’ve achieved the color you want, sand with fine grit sandpaper (2000 to 4000 grit) to level out paint strokes. After that, I sometimes lay on one more thin coat.