What is a Transformer?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Jetfireinthesky, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Jetfireinthesky

Jetfireinthesky Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kinda inspired by the Pluto/Planet deffinition thread, what is a Transformer? What is it that makes our Robots in Disguise different from any other transforming robot such as the Gobots and Convertors? Be warned, there's a reason for this.

2. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well untill recently transformers were a being that changed from form A to form B while retaining aspects of form A (toy wise anyhow). Now days I'm not so sure.

*alt answer* An electrical device by which alternating current of one voltage is changed to another voltage. Or isolated from its source.

3. Alareth

Alareth Member

To me, what makes a Transformer a Transformer is the universe they exist in. The story is king.

4. wolfybulfy

wolfybulfy unethical proctologist

they're sentient and have a spark. i think gobots just run on windows 84.

5. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    A mechanical lifeform originating from the planet Cybertron, and able to choose between at least two physical forms.

6. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :lol  blows my description out of the water.

7. Leemon

Leemon Yar, spare sum fuel mate?

News Credits:
    And, here I thought their processor was a Commodore Vic 20.

[​IMG]

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Storywise, a "Transformer" is a sentient mechanoid from the planet Cybertron, capable of altering it configuration between one or more modes (primarily for transport/camouflage/combat reasons).
    Other races may have transforming capability (Lithonians, Sharkticons), but they are not classified as Transformers to my mind, due to their different planet of origin.

9. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well actually isn't it possible that the sharkticons are the decendents of primative tranformers of cybertronian origin who left with the Quints after the revolt? Their more primative mental facilities could have made them more loyal to the quints, where as the predecesors of the Bots and Cons which had superior mental capabilities revolted.

Likewise are not the junkions of Autobot Origin?

Transformers are Inorganic life of cybertronian origin or decended from those who share that origin, where as Gobots explained their origin as having been organic life but they evolved into vehicles, much like the Rock Lords where organics who evolved into rocks. Gobots and Rock lords could theoretically be a form of Sillcon based life, where as the Transformers are more along the lines of Ghosts in the Machine.

Of course the human body is also just a machine, one built using carbon.

Transformers evolved from simplier and simplier machines. If you say organic life evolved from single celled organisms, you could likewise say robotic life evolves from non sentient robots.

Now if one takes the whole Primus being a God thing into account, Transformers are actually a case for Intelligent Design in Robotic Life.

10. MV75

MV75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    A registered trademark of hasbro.

11. Silver Bullit

Silver Bullit Banned

Until recently, a Transformer wasn't just any old robot that turned into another mode, like vehicle weapon or animal. It held a certain aesthetic, motivation and character persona, with similarities or links to the original franchise.

Recently, anything can be a Transformer. Food can be a Transformer- it starts out as one mode and eventuallt transforms into feces, and as long as you are a rabid NAZI fanboi with an open mind, it qualifies. If you maintain that a certain criteria be maintained and food isn't a Transformer, then you suck and should only be allowed certain rations of oxygen each day.

SB

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    transformers dont have a common aesthetic. look at Beast Wars Injector, and try to point at any non-BW figure he has any resemblance to.

design aesthetics are only shared across as single line.

13. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

The thing that always made the Transformers different for me was that they were indeed 100% SENTIENT robots. The didn't have organic brains like Go-Bots (which essentially makes them cyborgs not robots). They weren't build by humans like Data from Star Trek (and therefore weren't bound by Asimovs 3 laws of robotics). TFs have emotions! They could hate, love, be happy, sad, mad - whatever. People complain that human characters are necessary because the audience will relate to them better, but because TFs have free range of emotions it makes them more "human" than any other robot characters in sci-fi and that is a concept that (as far as I know) had never been explored in TF sci-fi (live action, cartoon ,or otherwise at least in America) back in 1984. And I thought that was fascinating. Add to that that they weren't just robots, but that they "transformed" and you have a mega coolness factor combined with thoughful, innovative sci-fi. What's not to love! But I really think it's that unique combination of "sentient robots" and "transforming coolness" that has allowed the franchise to endure for 20+ years, 500+ episodes, and thousands of toys.

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ditto. ^