Customs: What is a Gundam marker and is it better than a sharpie?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by reluttr, Aug 9, 2009.

1. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What exactly is a gundam marker? Also is it less likely to wipe off than a sharpie?

Because I need to fill in some detail lines on a custom I am doing, but I dont want to use a sharpie because it is to easy to remove from plastic.

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

A Gundam Marker is just that. A marker, specifically for Gundams.

I highly doubt that it will be 'too easy to remove from the plastic', because from personal experience, i've tried scratching off bad panel lining and failed.

Though no matter what, i would always recommend doing a paint wash where possible, over a marker.

3. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes a paint wash IMO is better than gundam markers. Use acrylics and use water the thin them down and either go over the lines with the thinned down paint or use a brush with water and go over panel line to get them wet and touch the thinned paint to the edge/end of a panel line and let it flow down.

I used Gundam Markers a lot when I was doing Gundams on a regular and they can be a bit pricey with shipping. You should try finding Sakura Micron pens. A office supply store might sell them individually or you can find them online with retailers I'm sure that are here in the states.

EDIT: Here is the website which you can order from them in individual sizes.http://www.sakuraofamerica.com/Pen-Archival

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I agree. From what I've seen, the markers can end up looking rather stark whereas washes can usually be a lot more subtle. Also, it can be a little easier to manage if you do end up adding too much (simply wipe off with a cloth lightly soaked in alcohol). I'd say the process is less tedious as well.

5. Charger

Charger Born to ride!!

In my experience, Magic Eraser is your friend, whilst panel lining with any marker.
    Works great, and leaves no detectable scratches. Be careful though to let the moisture dry from the Magic Eraser before you continue marking.