What if: Ultimate Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Ra88, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Time for a good ol' speculation thread! Imagine, you're a writer at Marvel and work on the Ultimate stories. Suddenly, your boss tells you that the company has obtained the rights of Transformers, and that they are letting you do the Ultimate version of it. How would you do it?

Rules: It has to fit into the Utlimate Marvel universe/timeline and the abilities of the Transformers shouldn't be over the top (like, say, an instant nuke attack from Megatron, antimatter cannon is a go though). Everything else goes and yes, even mass sizeshifting (try to explain it though, with the help of molecular compression and an anti-gravity device to enable the TF in question to be 'lifted" by a human).:) 

Oh yeah, if the mods feel this belongs in the comic forum, then please feel free to move it there.

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I just don't think Transformer ever really fit into an Universe where there are beings who can destroy them with a thought.

Transformers only work well when they are the primary thread to us. Why worry about giant robots from outer space when the government can hire Magneto to turn them all into one big ball of scrap...much like Pee-Wee's giant ball of tinfoil.

3. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I don't think it's that bad, really, it's just how you handle it. Magneto would probably refuse to help the UN and rather let Megatron exterminate the human race, or they could probably even team up (I can see Soundwave infiltrating the Triskellion and talking to Magneto).

Time to throw some ideas in that I had:

Time of awakening: I think this could have happened around 1900 like with Hearts of Steel. This gives them time to infiltrate our society, and even help some of history's more notorious and/or notable persons (Perceptor befriending Einstein, Megatron helping Stalin against Hitler and the Chitauri). That way, they could increase their powerbase while making valuable human allies (who knows, maybe one of the Autobots works together with Nick Fury in secret?)
    Energon: Obviously Energon is crucial to the Transformers, but I think a new twist could be involved: Secret fuellines beneath various cities, who tap into the local energy grids and create small portions of the valuable energy. Now here's a twist: What the Transformers don't realise, is that it's radiation INCREASES the evolution of the mutants with a hundred or thousand times, explaining why such powerfull mutants could exist.
    The Transformers' bodies: This is an idea I got from the G1 cartoon, but people will probably not like it, but hey, it's the Ultimate universe. Their bodies are made up from highly resilient nanobots who, like human cells, form their bodies. However, unlike us, they have the ability to steer these as well, allowing their shapeshifting abilities. My idea is to have the carshells as their armor, like with Alternators, but the nanobots make up the rest of the car and break up at the molicular level to 'morph' it into bodyparts (like in the G1 cartoon, as I said). This gets rid of the question "What happens to the interior?", but it would be rather controversial.
    Mass size-shifting: This idea ties into the previous one. The nanobots have the abilty to collapse on themselves like a balloon, which gives them the ability to decrease their size up to a certain level (like with Giant-Man and Wasp). They also have anti gravity, as to make a human think they're picking them up. Obviously this should be limited to only a select few, the most important of them being Soundwave (Megatron shouldn't though; maybe Megaplex could be his representation for the humans?).

4. Stormbringer

Stormbringer Cheese It!

I think it would be really interesting if IDW did sort of an 'Ultimate' version of Transformers, based either off the 2007 film, or from a completely original perspective. They would be crazy not to.

The Transformer's origins have already been reinterpreted many times before, and the upcoming film will pave the way for even more.

I would buy something like that, as long as the writers didn't radically change the character's personalities.

5. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I consider the BT storyline as close to the "ultimate" version of G1 or Transformers. The BT/Alt toys are my "ultimate" transformers. Of course, the problem with BT/Alt was that they were all consumer automobiles and I disliked the re-making of non-vehicular TFs into vehicular TFs.

The only thing that could replace BT/Alts as the "ultimate" storyline/toys are the Classics line.

I'm tired of the constant revamping of G1. I like how IDW is handling the G1 series. Transformers are hidden and the stories alternate between earth and Cybertron. I think Furman is hit-and-miss with his stories but I do like the fact that there is only one person involved in this new G1 mythology. I kinda wish it wasn't Furman though. The old DW series was getting interesting...

One definitely plus about IDW G1 is they are starting from the very beginning.

I don't know. I'll stop rambling now but my point is I don't know how to further "ultimatize" TFs. I think the BT toys and storyline did that and I think IDW is doing it too.

The point of the "Ultimate" universe in Marvel Comics was to streamline the characters, making them more accessible to new readers, modernize them a bit, and to give writers a bit more freedom on what they can do. I think BT and IDW got all those things.

6. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

Too many resets! Rather, they should tie everything together from a point source.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I personally think IDW's current series is something of an "Ultimate" style reset. It's taken the whole thing back to basics, and it is exploring a lot of elements of the story from a fresh perspective.

I like your idea about Energon and how it results in human mutations, though. That's a good idea that has never really been explored before now.

8. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Plain and simple, Transformers would not be alien. They'd be human made A.I. And to discypher Deceitpcons from Autobots, we'd have some A.I. be influenced by outside forces. North Korea, Al Queda, some terrorist group would hack/have an insider in the government and would download Decepticon programming. In response, the Autobot A.I. is created and thus we have the Transformers.

And in a perfect world, Tony Stark would create the Autobot AI.

9. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

If they are going to do an Ultimate style transformers book it would have to be like Supreme Power, Ultimate concepts applied to a new property set in its own universe where that property is the star.

Things that must be done
    -Ditch the re-awakening
    -No Mass shifting or Dinosaurs bots
    -Have the tfs go to earth on purpose for a reason other than energon
    -have the tfs stay on earth to find something other than energon
    -Give the decpeticons a cause worth fighting and possibly dieing for like defeating a threat the autobots are too obtuce to see.
    -no endless cycle of battles 1 or 2 fight between any given pair of rivals before one rival is dead
    -there should be some kind of end in sight this should'nt be something that goes on for decades it should be an epic that lasts for 6-8 years worth of comic books

10. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Interesting topic. Here is a "what if" I thought of...

Like the Kree, the Cybertronians detect the entity known as "Gah-Lak-Tus". Theorizing that it might have origins connected with their own from the myth of "The Choas Bringer", they observe it over time as it destroys planet after planet until it is stopped by Earth. Curious as to how a planet so primitive could defeat "Gah-Lak-Tus" where more advanced races have failed, a team of Autobot's is sent to observe Earth more closely. The Decepticons, however, want what ever weapon could stop something like "Gah-Lak-Tus" for them selves. Arriving on Earth, both sides take on disguises based on the local vehicles to better infiltrate with out being noticed by the humans. Quickly they learn that there are several humans with powers and the Transformers limit their observations to those beings that eventually leads them to the information they want to know...

Meanwhile, Shockwave takes the opportunity to study "Gah-Lak-Tus" while it is still weak after being defeated by Earth only to discover the swarm is not the true "Gah-Lak-Tus" but only an instrument used by the planet eater who is now out for revenge against Earth. (This is the character that'd actually look like Galactus. Going by the 616 version of Galactus, it'd appear to different species based on their own perceptions, so to humans it'd look humanoid, to Transformers it'd be Unicron). Realizing the true scope of the situation he goes to Earth to help the other Decepticons get the weapon.

11. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I like this idea.

And as for how I'd go about bringing TFs into the Ultimate Universe, I think I would use a generation other than G1. As has been pointed out, G1 has been done to death.

12. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Exactly. But if put into the UU, I really like Sparky Prime's idea.

13. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    That sounds almost perfect, but a sudden emergence of the TFs wouldn't exactly work in their advantage (how can they adapt to a species that quickly without knowing anything about them?)

I think it could work better if they are tied to the Vision. The Transformer factions should both have reasons to follow her: The Autobots for studying the native species and any information on a possible weapon against Gah Lak Tus, and the Decepticons acting more like locusts and stealing part of that species' energy ("Since Gah Lak Tus wants that planet, it must be rich with potential Energon ingredients").

The Autobots and Decepticons' war could also be a bit more refined. At the start of the war Cybertron was rich with inhabitants but energy, but after a hundred years of war nearly 95% of the planet's energy was used up, and almost 98% of the Cybertronians were slaughtered (leaving only an army of perhaps 2000 Autobots and 3000 Decepticons?). This forces the two sides to have a temporary cease-fire to prevent their extinction, but then witness Gah-Lak-Tus coming, who after a small study of the planet decides it's not worthy before moving on. The Autobots and Decepticons decide to follow it for their own reasons, and slowly but surely they learn of other species and their cultures, new energy sources and, of course, the Vision. Both factions want to get in contact with her, and a new war starts for control of the information regarding her whereabouts, although this one is more covert.

Eventually they end up on Earth, and are then surprised at the Vision' disappearance. Puzzled, they decided to infiltrate our society, and slowly but surely decide it's best to keep watching us (perhaps this could also tie into my idea?). Then, when they prepare to leave, they witness us Gah-Lak-Tus' defeat, and decide to send only a select group after the Vision while the majority stays on Earth, intrigued by our potential.

Of course, it needs something new to spice things up a bit, it IS Ultimates after all, and I think I know of something. After Gah-Lak-Tus' defeat SHIELD finds out about the Transformer presence (which they've always suspected, but never had any proof for), and manage to capture a couple of them. Then, with Tony Stark's help, they start creating 'clones' of them, who are more humanoid in appearance and behaviour (maybe the regular Transformers could be more like Transtech, while the new ones are crossovers of I-Robot and Alternators). Eventually the Decepticons find out about this, and their commander (Starscream?) goes to the complex with a strikeforce before quickly obliterating it and then disappearing again. However, some 'clones' escape, and because of their blank memories decide to find out what has been going on, and who/what they are. The main one: OP-Tron IX, with OP standing for Optimus Prime (Ultimate First, the first replica/clone and the most perfect one?).

Other changes could include Galvatron being the supreme commander of the Decepticon forces, with Starscream being the one in command of the Earth forces. The leader of the renegade clones, which are closer to the Decepticons in behaviour, is MegaPL-EX: The 'twin' of Optimus Prime, who is geared more towards strength and tactics then an allround and balanced warrior like Prime. After a few battles, Megaplex becomes obsessed with his jaelousy of Prime, and upgrades himself to become more powerfull and, somehow remembering the importance of the suffix Tron to the regular Decepticons, renames himself into Megatron.

I got no idea for the rest of the characters, but I think the human-made Autobots could be called Cybertrons, while the human-made Decepticons could be named Destrons. As for the storyline: It could consist of the two human-made factions fleeing from SHIELD and the Autobots/Decepticons (who seem alien to them because of their human-like minds), while collecting information about their origins. The Matrix could also be tied into it somehow, but I'm too tired to think of anything now. :p 

14. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Well Vision said she was sent to Earth 100 years ahead of Gah Lak Tus to help Earth prepair (even though she ended up damaged and trapped in a bunker in Russia for most of that time) so any alien race watching Gah Lak Tus would also know which planet it was headed to for 100 years. The Kree camped out to watch Gah Lak Tus come and destroy Earth, I don't see why Cybertronians couldn't do the same.

15. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Going off the Galactus idea...

The Transformers detect Galactus and figure this "Chaos Bringer" is headed towards Earth. The Autobots go and hide themselves, waiting to see how the humans stop it. The heroes of the Ultimate Universe ultimately (hahaha) fail, and Galactus is about to destroy the Earth.

Optimus Prime finally caves in to his desire to save the weak, and the Autobots suddenly transform from their disguises and while they don't stop Galactus, they drive him away. The Decepticons, observing the Autobots, realize they could tap in to a lot of energy from this Galactus fellow, so they team up with him -- they're eradicate the Autobots in exchange for the energy of the Earth. Both sides, of course, plan to double-cross each other.

Then you have the reason for battling for a good 12 issues until Galactus goes to make his big return or something else happens to cause the shift to move away from Galactus and to the next storyline - the Matrix!