What if ( this is for the G1 OG's)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by KNOOM842, Jun 30, 2011.

1. KNOOM842

KNOOM842 Ultra Con

What if G1 never happen and the bayverse transformers where the first Transformers to become toys?(way back in 1984) How many of us would still collect them?

I for one would have goten a few but would have never collected this long (20 something years)

2. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    This is such a hypothetical question that I find it hard wrapping my head around the possibilities involved.

3. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :crazy:  :confused2 

4. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    OK let me change your question around instead, because I think I might know what you are asking.

What if Transformers debut in 1984 as a series of 3 theatrical movies instead of a cartoon series?

The mass exposure of the series would be a lot lower, considering the fact that a movie is only in the theater for a limited amount of time. And it would have taken a long time for it to appear on network TV. Back then, a lot of people didn't have cable, so when the first movie would have hit HBO in 1985 it would get even less exposure, considering that HBO was (and still is) a premium movie channel. Even tho my parent had HBO back then, being a little trike, I wasn't allowed to watch that channel until maybe 1989.

You have to consider the timing of Transformers cartoon, in a time where Saturday (or even daily) morning cartoons were on multiple channels. Every broadcast channel had them, and a few cable channels (like USA) had them as well. Every kid was going to be watching those cartoons in the morning, and even some got to watch a couple before leaving for school. That is a huge exposure that definately had driven the toys. And that is something even a series of movies wouldn't have been able to accomplish.

And not to leave out something like Star Wars, yes those toys were huge but the movies were extremely awesome. If a TF movie had come out like they are currently, they would have likely gotten an R rating. Remember, that TFTM got a PG-13 rating because it had a "shit" and a "damn." Consider that all the extra language, innuendo and real-life violence in the current movies would have gotten a way higher rating in 1984 than it does nowadays.

5. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    The transformers as they exist in their movie forms would not have captured my imagination as a child the same way as the original toys did back in '84, however I'm sure they would still have been very succesful, just not the start of a franchise.

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Indeed. Just trying to consider things like additional media and toy techololgy makes it difficult. I mean there's no CGI back then so just that would affect how BayFormers would be represented in film or television, perhaps hobbling a lot of what some people like about the Bay movie showings. Reduce all BayFormer figures to 80s toy technology and that complexity that many enjoy about those figures is lost as well.

To be honest, trying to set BayFormers back in the early 80s with the restrictions G1 had to face just turns it back into essentially what G1 was anyway. So realistically, it's impossible to try and work out how successful BayFormers would've been if it had happened back in the 80s because it wouldn't really be BayFormers as we know it.

7. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    People use to watch the Bionic Six and think it was the coolest thing ever. We would have goobled it up. The same way older peeps then us G1ers gobled up Beast Wars.

I will say that Bionic Six toys were awesome. They weighed like 3 lbs and were made of almost pure metal. I flung one at a friend once, gave him a big bruise.

8. KNOOM842

KNOOM842 Ultra Con

Ok Let me correct what i'm trying to say. In 1984 when transformers came out what if they looked like they do in the Bayverse movies but done in cell animatiion. And the toys looked like they do now with the same G1 alt modes with Megatron looking like a monster, chicken legs on all the seekers,etc.And on the show the cons act like they do in the movies with them not really interacting or talking english(without subtitles like in the movies). Would any of us still be into them like we are now.

And yes Bionic six was the s$%# what was his name? Glove i think? glove and that ape robot in a sock helped put a end to the bully down the block

9. KNOOM842

KNOOM842 Ultra Con

It seems to me sir you got where i was coming from.

10. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    nobody here can answer this. This is because we who gre up with G1 saw them with kids eyes. We now see Bay stuff with adult eyes. Therefore it is IMPOSSIBLE to anwser your question.

Since your mind is diffrent as a kid as to you as an adult the question will be difficult to answer.

11. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

Wow, you must have busted his skull open! Serves that bully right! (jk) When I was about 8 I used a deflated inner tube to beat the complete crap out of a bully who was 4 years older than me. I really let 'em have it too that rat jackass! :lol 

I think if TF started as movies they might not have lasted as long/achived such popularity. With a few major exceptions such as SW, movies and their toys come and go despite their initial popularity. Jurassic Park was huge and so was Men In Black.. sure people like them and always will but they lack that staying power you get with things like TF or TMNT which are television / toy mainstays. Any TF, TMNT etc. movies that are released no matter how huge are secondary or an addition to the cartoons/mainline toys, that said, if Hasbro eventually stopped producing Bay styled figures it would let down plenty of fans.. but if they stopped doing classic styled figures there would be fan rage to the highest degree.

12. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

I would have loved it. I loved Robots. I watched Gobots, Voltron and I watched Transformers. I even liked Silver hawks because they looked like robots. So I would have eaten up.
    That said. Would I be on a web page about those Transformers now? I don't know. I have nothing to do with Gobots, Voltron or Silverhawks now. They were big to me then but I out grew them. Transformers fiction has kept me around. And if the Bayformers movies had the same story I am quite sure I would not have stuck around. I never liked the Humans getting in the way. I could deal with them in small bits. But Bay has sam as THE major character and over time I would have moved on. I think. We can never know for sure.

13. AlphaTrionA3

AlphaTrionA3 Autobot

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure I'd never have liked TFs if Bay's TFs were the first. They're ugly. The movies are terrible. And I wouldn't be caught dead buying one.

14. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What if as a baby you first learned to walk, then learned to crawl after?

15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    wait, so we're still like 4-10 years old, or you mean that nothing came out ever until the bay movies today?

If you mean the first one, then we'd probably love it, just like kids are loving it now. If the latter, we'd probably be talking about how shitty the movies are on some jayce and the wheeled warriors forum.

16. nightdiamond

nightdiamond Well-Known Member

The G1 series premiered at the right time. There was a "robot fad" going on at the time.

Robotech, Go-Bots, Voltron, Japanese Anime- were all the rage but after a few years the fad fizzled out.

But I think the main difference is simplicity-the g1 storyline was pretty simple and easy to relate to.

Bay's version is more adult themed and complicated.

The design of the G1 characters brought out their characters -(even when the actual toys were crappy looking, you still used your imagination)

Bay's designs are harder to look at and a little impersonal.

Still have to give credit to Bay for giving the entire franchise a boost.

17. KNOOM842

KNOOM842 Ultra Con

18. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I would have enjoyed 2006 when everyone would argue about whether or not the old designs would work.

19. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    Its like saying, what if Hasbro purchased Machine Robo from Bandai to make the 1984 Transformers show instead of Takara's Diaclone and MicroChange toys?

20. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

I would not have kept them, I never cared for my stepbrothers Robocop, Terminator, or Predator figs.