What if The Wachowskis directed Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OP84, Jan 25, 2012.

1. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Now I've never been a huge fan of The Wachowskis' work (granted I've only seen The Animatrix and Speed Racer) but a couple of months ago, someone replied to another thread I made about who people would want to do a Transformers reboot. Most people chose sci-fi directors obviously but one of the most distinguished replies was someone who said they would like The Wachowski brothers (now known as The Wachowskis since one of them got a sex change) to direct a reboot. I wasn't too sure about this considering the second and third Matrix films were very poorly received by critics and Speed Racer was a financial disaster, but I still thought it would be interesting to ask people what they thought about the Wachowskis directing a Transformers film.

2. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

no no no

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Ha!

No, thank you.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    There would be more trannys than the ones in the cars.

5. ShOcKwAvE1213

ShOcKwAvE1213 THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

That's funny

6. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Ix-nay on the achowki-ways

7. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Please, for the love of all things holy, hell no.

8. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Woah, so he made Matrix 2+3 so he could get a sex change, now I get it. All because of the money.

OT: No, please not.

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    OP, just WHAT is your obsession with making these stupid threads about possible reboots of the franchise with all these directors? In all honesty, this has got to be the STUPIDEST thread you've made about possible new directors because those two don't have a shot at directing a Transformers film. If you've truly seen Speed Racer, then you would know that putting them in charge of Transformers would send the franchise into a near-vertical dive straight into the ground. Hell, if you'd bothered to do ANY research on these two other than just going off of what ONE person said and what you've seen of their work, you would have seen they haven't produced a film that was well recieved overall since V for Vendetta (2006), and that was based on existing litterature!

*sigh* Look, it seems that the only thing you ever post on the boards are these pointless "Hey, what if so-and-so was the new director because of these unsupported reasons..." threads, and honestly a lot of us (myself included) are pretty damn tired of it, namely because you're just throwing random ideas you have out on the boards without actually supporting them with good evidence and solid facts. Instead, you rely on what trailers imply (which is always "this movie is awesome! Come see it!" more or less) and your own opinion. Do some research, stengthen and refine your ideas, and maybe people will start to listen to your ideas instead of automatically calling them wildly unrealistic and/or stupid.

10. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    On the other hand, the Wachowskis HAVE shown an ability to really stick to the source material of works they adapt into film, such as Speed Racer and V For Vendetta, so if they made a G1 movie (or beast wars, or armada, or whatever else), it would be probably the closest thing to a G1 movie that would be possible.

11. Omega_Sentinel

Omega_Sentinel Well-Known Member

If the Mach 5 turned into a maniac robot it would have made Speed Racer a little better

12. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Alan Moore would like a word with you.

Also, these guys suck. They got lucky with the Matrix but dropped the ball hard with Reloaded and Revolutions. V for Vendetta was OK at best and the internet's bizarre obsession with it as some sort of revolutionary launching point just makes me hate it more. I've never seen Speed Racer except for the end but it was enough to make me roll my eyes and have no desire to see the rest.

13. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Counterpoint: When has Alan Moore ever been happy with any adaptation of his work by anyone? He basically crossed his arms after LXG and resigned himself to harrumph any project he couldn't outright stop (though I suppose LXG being as bad as it was could drive him to this).

V for Vendetta managed to capture the look, themes, and characters of Moore's work about as well as possible for the medium of film, the time limitations of a feature production, and the tolerances of the audience it was aimed at. It wasn't perfect, and it might have missed some of the nuance of the graphic novel, but it was certainly one of the most faithful adaptations of a graphic novel.

Speed Racer was cheesy as hell, a visual cacaphony, and had the pacing of stop-and-go traffic on a major highway, but so did the show it was based on.

14. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

I clearly stated in my post that I've seen Speed Racer. I didn't care for it much, but it was okay.

15. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I would like it, maybe because I'm the only person in the history of mankind that actually liked Matrix 2 and 3 [I happen to enjoy Christian symbolism], and I absolutely love V for Vendetta [the scene of the dominoes remains one my favorite in the history of cinema, the whole "pattern of events" falling into place].

But after Ninja Assassin, I'm not sure they can deliver something good.

16. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    After what the Wachowskis did for the Matrix sequels and the acid-trip that was Speed Racer, I'd say no.

17. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    You did say you saw it, but here you say it was only "okay". Did you get the opinions of anybody else who saw the movie? How about the average movie scores from various moviegoer websites? Essentially, what you are saying is that what if these two, who produced a movie you think is only "okay", was put in charge of a movie following up a movie that made one billion dollars at the ticket office. "Okay" movies do not make that kind of money without ludicrious amounts of hype (this is why they're still making Twilight movies) or low cost-to-profit margins, the latter of which can never be said of live-action TF movies.

Plus, the Wachoskis haven't made a well-recieved movie in the past six years, and even before "V" it wasn't looking too good. Unless it's a relatively low-cost movie or a film not planned to have sequels, sticking the Wachowskis name on anything will probably not end well.

Bottom Line: Before you even THINK about posting another one of these stupid "what if so-and-so was the director next time?" threads, do some ACTUAL RESEARCH on them and find out if they're actually worth suggesting in theoretical context, because you're kind of scraping the bottom here. Who's the next director you'll inevitably suggest in this exact same manner; M. Night Shamalangadingdong?

18. Aernaroth

News Credits:

The twist would be that the Cybertronians are so stuck in their ways that their war will last forever. It will never end and they will remain the exact same beings as the day they went online. Only human beings can grow, adapt to new situations, become something greater than we were yesterday and change our world around us as we change ourselves. It's us. We were the Transformers all along.

19. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Yes. I'm just kidding! But it's kind of funny how you brought that up at the same time I was watching that piece of dogcrap, The Last Airbender.

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    One thing i know is that Hugo Weaving would still be Megatron.