What if the next series has 10-minute episodes?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by IamaMeatRabbit, Jul 19, 2017.

1. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

You know, a couple years ago I would have scoffed at the idea. But Steven Universe has done such amazing work with 12 minute episodes. So I would be up for that, if it had continuity, good character development, and good plots.

You'd have to have a hell of a skilled writing staff though. No room for error when you only have 12 minutes.

2. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime I don't want to set the world on fire...

Ebay:
    Hmm. I have mixed feelings about SU, but I will admit that there are definite strengths it shows in world building and storytelling. The big disconnect for me would be this:

Steven Universe intersperses action with a lot of world building and introspection that can occur largely because it focuses largely on a very small group in general (the Crystal Gems), and Steven on a micro level. In a lot of ways, this is what made TFA so successful - Sari was the window to the world building because she was, much like Steven, learning about her universe's Transformers along with us. Short episodes work with SU/Starr/Adventure Time because they (usually) focus on the core cast for a long time and only eventually move off into minor characters after a while. There's no viewpoint switching early on because doing that would drive a new viewer crazy - later Adventure Time episodes that don't focus on Finn or Jake would likely be confusing to a new viewer in short order.

In order for RiD to have pulled this off, the main character shouldn't have been Bumblebee, but Strongarm. That way, the audience could operate through the "newbie" character, learning the ropes of the new world as it went. But is this what we want from a new TF series? I'm a little weary of shows that spoon feed us the world in tiny bites. While I'm sure it's quite possible to make Transformers a 12 minute show, I would prefer a more cohesive show that is paced to let me enjoy getting to know everyone as opposed to flinging a character development point here or a plot point there just long enough to get me interested, and then switching to something else entirely.

3. Jamocha101

Jamocha101 Well-Known Member

I mean. I wouldn't be wild about it, but it could be a good thing. If the writing isn't good, it can be hard to sit through twenty-odd minutes. I can never get through an episode of TFP in one sitting, ever. Only one was Deadlock. And I'm an adult; the attention spans of the intended demographic of ages 5-12 could be even worse. (Or maybe better because they'd be less critical than me, idk).

Either way. Whatever. If it works, it works.

4. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

Either it would be a clever parody with a surprisingly tight story, or it would be the Transformers version of Teen Titans Go.

5. Duskscream

Duskscream Well-Known Member

Terrible. I didn't kno this was a thing but it would be utterly terrible in my view.