What if the next series has 10-minute episodes?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by IamaMeatRabbit, Jul 19, 2017.

1. IamaMeatRabbit

IamaMeatRabbit Well-Known Member

Many cartoons these days have 10 minute episodes with a more lighthearted, comedic tone, often with little to no continuity. Some shows execute this well-Adventure Time, Regular Show. Some don't-Teen Titans Go, the Ben 10 Reboot (note: I've only seen bits and pieces of these shows and watched YouTube reviews, so I'm mostly going off what I've heard).

What if the next Transformers cartoon is like this? How you feel about it? Personally I think it could work well depending on how it's executed. It could be kind of like the first season of Animated (in both tone and in the way it's episodic although with some ongoing plot) where the Autobots help at emergencies and fight human villains and the Decepticons. Each episode could focus on a specific character (read: help sell a specific toy). However, the lack of time for plot exposition would be a major downfall.

What do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. FoolishDoomedCreature

FoolishDoomedCreature When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die.

wut
    That explains it.
    You should definetely watch Adventure Time, Steven Universe and Gravity Falls, great things can be done with only 10 minutes per episode.

• Like Like x 1
  3. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

That would be incredibly annoying, but still, some shows do pull off good story lines with that format. Steven Universe does and it's lore is incredibly similar to TF, even if its style isn't. Star VS the Forces of Evil does, too. Justice League Action doesn't have many story lines, but it's style would work well with TF. Each episode has a different character to flesh out as they spend the episode fighting a villain of the week, who usually gets fairly well defined, too. Combine Justice League Action's general episode formula with Steven Universe or Star VS the Forces of Evil's style of story lines and you'd get a pretty good TF show. Or, it could end up being horrible botched because TF creators are often untalented or lazy and 10 minutes is an incredibly restrictive running time.

Gravity Falls had regular 20 minute episodes, but I agree, it can be done well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. FoolishDoomedCreature

The difference is that the gems are almost human. It makes it easier for the casual viewer to emphatize with them. You can do love storylines with them, but besides the fans, who would care about the feelings of a giant transforming robot that doesn't even have a mouth?
    I agree. Besides Beast Era and Animated, has any TF writer even cared about what they were doing?
    Ooooops. That may be because it was so good time felt faster :D 

• Like Like x 1
  5. soundwaverulls

I'm not saying TF should try being like Steven Universe, I'm just using it as an example of a show that pulls off ongoing story arcs while being restricted to a 10 minute episode format. That's why I went on to say that combining the episode formula of Justice League action with the story lines of Steven Universe could work out well for TF. Oh, and when I say SU story lines, I mean their method of tackling story lines, not the specific stories they tell. Replace who's competing with who for someone's love with who's competing with who for power. Although, Steven's coming of age story, his dealing with old warriors stuck in their violent ways and his struggles with morality in an escalating conflict would probably translate really well into a TF show.

Not to the extend that Transformers really deserves. There are certainly shows that are fairly competently made, but far too often they end up rushed or just not really trying as hard as they could be. Armada's story lines were great and the show could've been one of the best if CN hadn't rushed it to air and if the voice director had given a fuck. RID15 is competent but plays it safe by sticking way too close to its formula.

I can agree with that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SparkPlug24

SparkPlug24 Named after the Mini-con, not the Witwicky.

Hmmm... on the one hand there's potential for dense story-telling, but on the other there's potential for filler. Regardless, of show format, I'd hope to see things fresh and interesting by setting the series on Cybertron.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Awesomepow

Awesomepow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would hate it.

• Like Like x 3
  8. IamaMeatRabbit

IamaMeatRabbit Well-Known Member

Just started Regular Show last night! Loving it so far!

• Like Like x 1
  9. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Could possibly be entertaining if executed properly.

• Like Like x 2
  10. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Hey most times it was executive meddling that caused problems so it wasn't from lack of trying.

I may get flak for this but am I the only one here who's starting to get fed up with how both BW and TFA are held to such a high regard that the other TF series are seen as inferior in comparison at least on TFW2005? I mean sure they're amazing and well written series no doubt about it but that doesn't mean that they do everything better when most times the other TF series just did certain things better then them. I do get the other TF series have flaws some minor and others major but to say that the other TF series have no heart and soul in them just comes across as insulting to the people who grew up with them.

• Like Like x 2
  11. soundwaverulls

I am absolutely not saying they had no heart or soul. Heck, I straight up said the biggest reason for Armada's critical failing was executive meddling from CN, like you say. My comments on RID15 were not designed to imply it's soulless, but simply that while its creative team does a good job, it could be more than it is. I absolutely don't think that the Beast Era and TF Animated are the only shows with any merit, simply that they're the only ones that get close to reaching the full potential of the Transformers franchise. Oh and I forgot about Rescue Bots. Considering it's a secondary show aimed at an extremely young audience, it's amazingly well made and clearly has a lot of heart and soul put into it. I think if you acknowledge what it's trying to be, something very different for a much younger audience, it's success, in terms of quality, can be held up to the likes of the Beast shows and TFA.

12. FoolishDoomedCreature

Not saying that are the only good TF shows, there are many, (hell, I've watched a few Armada clips and seems like a good cartoon) but I think they are better, just my opinion.

I think Rescue Bots is the G1 toon done right.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime I don't want to set the world on fire...

Ebay:
    That's a bit of a stretch, as the G1 cartoon was a loud, hugely violent series. While nobody died per se, things exploded a lot and it was pretty clear that the big, tall gray dude was trying to alternatively kill/enslave humanity when he wasn't trying to vacuum up the Earth's core or something between dodging his second in command who kept shooting at him. This is pretty much why most of us remember this cartoon and love it and why we're not collecting, say, Smurf toys. Brainy Smurf didn't have a Null Ray.

Rescue Bots is a decent show from the limited amount of what I've seen, but I don't think it really captures the style, tone or sheer awesome excitement of being 6 years old watching giant robots slug it out.

14. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    I for one am still a little critical of BW/BM. I strongly dislike how the showrunners sort of ignored or swept the G1 mythos under the rug (what little there was), and absolutely hated the whole Cybertron Organic Core stuff. The spirituality of BM annoyed the crap out of me, and while I concede that the storytelling was far better than G1 ever managed on its best day, it often mucked through inane, melodramatic claptrap and relied more on emotional damage as a character development device than any show needed to.

I liked TFA, as it was a very tightly assembled show by people that cared. It managed to cater to old G1 fans and show love to a new generation of fans, which is probably why its held in such high regard. I begrudgingly accept that if it wasn't for BW/BM showing execs that tight storytelling was a thing that could work with TFs, we wouldn't HAVE TFA, or TFP (TFP being my favorite series so far).

As for what series did better than others... that's all subjective. I think G1 offered a far grander scope of things, especially when Season 3 rolled in. I think BW/BM offered some of the best storytelling. I think Car Robots and the Unicron Trilogy revived interest in the franchise. I think TFP showed that you could have a successful "serious" TF show.

So far, I'm not sure what RiD shows. It's not as bad as Armada, but I have a sinking feeling that its claim to fame will be 'Keeping the brand active until something better shows up'.

15. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Wanna touch things I don't feel

News Credits:
    A Transformers show in the vein of Regular Show would be the greatest thing ever. Well, minus some of the staleness of later seasons.

• Like Like x 1
  16. FoolishDoomedCreature

With crude, metaphoric moments like the Autobots surfing, the Citizen Kane of cartoons.

Explain yourself.
    Although the show is not bad, for once, I agree with you.
    But you gotta agree that the ending of the show was great.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    Okay, so let me be the first to clarify that I didn't feel that G1 was "good" by any stretch of the imagination. At best, it was a fun action show for kids that relied on bright lights, colors and explosions. The dialogue was often terrible and if you read a little about the show, writers and showrunners were constantly plagued by Hasbro demanding they do ridiculous things like write "generic" dialogue and plots so they could swap in new characters at the drop of a hat for marketing purposes. However, the tone set by the overall show was that of exceedingly violent warrior robots blowing stuff up and trying to kill each other and/or the Earth. As a result, Rescue Bots is probably not the best analog for a spiritual G1 successor. Actually, RiD is probably closer to that, insofar as it's a light action show with a lot of battling, colorful characters but subjectively weaker writing and dialogue than prior shows like Prime, TFA, etc.

In regards to BW not paying proper deference to G1:

It's no secret that Larry DiTillo didn't know very much of anything about G1 when he co-wrote the series. In addition, if you watch the interview with Bob Forward it's pretty clear that when he wrote BW with Larry DiTillo, his response to Hasbro informing him that there was a large fan following was "Yeah, yeah." He also admits he wrote the pilot without "really knowing anything". I'm not faulting them for wanting to do their own thing, but even with fan input, some of the subsequent storylines with the Maximals and Predacons mucking around with the Ark, the corpse of Prime, etc. lacked something for me. They only started adding G1 stuff in after the fact, and generally after lurking on ATT and grabbing plot seeds. Especially early on, I feel that they grabbed stuff without fully understanding what they were adding.

The thing I've always found the most upsetting, however, is the addition of the Spark. Beast Wars introduced this extremely spiritual thing into canon, and it's been effectively retroactively applied to the entire Transformers zeitgeist, and I really don't like it. To my mind it elevates Transformers from a simple alien race having a civil war to something more cosmic. While that's fine if you like that sort of thing, I do not. The Spark concept is nebulous, and has been used to weld various esoteric elements to the franchise. Rather than go into it in detail, think of it like this: I see 'sparks' the same way that many Star Wars fans see midichlorians.

18. ScientistMan

ScientistMan Well-Known Member

Prowl: Clean up this mess or you're fired!!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Wanna touch things I don't feel

News Credits:
    "Nice outfit!"
    "It's a PRETENDER SHELL."

• Like Like x 1
  20. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Wouldn't be a fan of this... yeah, some can do these well, TTGo... yeah, I think some of the episodes are hilarious, others make me groan, but at least they're only 11 minutes :) 
    ... and my fave atm, Justice League: Action does it very well. When a series leaves you wanting more... at least 30 minutes, then they're doing a good job.

I think we should be content with the "Shorts" we get, and keep a 30 minute block (well 22 minutes) episodes.