What if TF G1 cartoonstyle anno 2011...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by G60Force, Apr 4, 2011.

1. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    what if... the current gen artist were to recreate or revive G1...
    but with super smooth transformation sequences and such...
    FAIK that they just you simple CELL SHADING and 3D animation...
    (I mean look at TF Prime... and othe 3D Cartoons... why wouldn't they?)

2. ronin0510

ronin0510 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would love a new re-telling of G1 with new animation and such. With the story done that actually was coherent and all. LOL

3. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Then it wouldn't be G1, it'd be another reboot with inevitable storyline changes and redesigns that'd still displease someone. (Even IDW have changed Megatron to a stealth bomber.) Granted, I'd love to see some of the comics adapted for DTV films.

4. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    yeah... but if was just a remastered G1... you know... same sound... added Dolby Surround effects.... and better graphics.... so SAME story, same voices... right?

5. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    sounds cool in theory but as soon as you start trying to "fix" G1, you start changing it. It wasn't written in a style that would work in todays media, so you'd either be left with something that's cool looking but sub par story telling by todays standard or something that is inherently not G1.

6. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    QTF. Prime is a good example. It's "G1ish" in the basic story. Any remake of G1 would be like that. Plus, not everyone would be happy.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Pretty hard to do the same voices when some of the voice actors are no longer with us, and others have admitted they have trouble doing the same voices.

If it was just a remastering of the old episodes, I think it would fall flat as the quality of writing in cartoons has improved (for the most part) over the past 25 years, and some of the aspects of the show, especially in terms of setting, are no longer as relevant. I also think it wouldn't be as enjoyable for older fans the 2nd time around, since we're not kids anymore and we wouldn't have the same kind of nostalgic connection to these episodes.

I wouldn't mind to see one episode remastered or some scenes redone as an anniversary thing, but for an overall show I'd much rather see the franchise keep changing and growing and reinventing itself.

8. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Money, my friend. Money.

I would LOVE for the entire American G1 series to be re-done in the same style/quality as the 1986 movie, but I know that'll never happen* (as there's no toyline on the shelves to keep the $ flowing). I'd keep all the audio as is, so no new VAs are required, but I'm sure there would be tons of issues regarding rights and so forth.

*Unless some hardcore lottery-winning Geewunners decided to get together and fork over some major cash for this labour of love [yes, even "Carnage in C-Minor" and "BOT" with stepped up animation would be a part of this]

9. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

maybe do a sample episode can they do that? and see if the fans like it. i do ike g1 the way it is but it would be interesting to see what would happened.

10. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Then it wouldn't be the comical G1 we all love to laugh at. It wouldn't have those silly animation errors we talk about frequently. It wouldn't be the same and you might not like it.
    Remember when they tried to upgrade Knight Rider and remade it? The knew series sucked cheese.
    You can't upgrade the classics and expect it to be better. Yes, it might be cooler to look at if it was 3D and what not, like Beast Machines was done. I'd love to see G1 in BM format. But, it just wouldn't be the same.

G1 is a classic, and you don't fuck with the classics.

11. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Ah, the old "G1 with unchanged plots and dialogue but modern animation" pipe dream. Because the animation is dated and flawed, whereas the writing is obviously timeless.

Not.

12. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

true tigertrack true

13. Trypticon 2010

Trypticon 2010 Well-Known Member

As much as I like G1, not it isn't.

It was a Saturday morning cartoon for kids to sell toys. Not the Godfather or Citizen Kane in animation form.

The animation was poor, the writing made no sence and the plot was mostly lame.

Anyway, this sounds like a dumb idea and will clearly never happen. Why don't we just stick to enjoying the old episodes for what they are?

14. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I remember years ago there was a rumor that the entire G1 series was going to be redone in CGI but with the same voice tracks. Of course nothing ever came of it.

Gotta disagree a bit. I thought that, story wise, the upgraded BSG was much better than the one I grew up with.

15. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Yeah, but the upgraded BSG was great because it didn't try to exactly copy the old one, or just update the special effects and sound quality. That's not really the same thing that's being discussed in the OP. I think we can both agree that cheesy 70s BSG with 2005 CGI effects would not have been nearly as successful.

Can anyone think of an attempt to "upgrade" rather than reinvent a classic franchise that went well? Because all I can think of is the Star Wars Special Edition, and that didn't seem to go over that well at all.

16. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I think having G1 back on TV should be good enough. Plus why change it now at this point? Its been almost 30 years, lets leave it in the past.

17. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:

The Star Trek special editions that came out a few years ago. Same classic footage of the actors, but CGI spaceships.

18. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Touche, good sir. But I would say that there are some who felt those CGI ships felt out of place and ruined the overall "feel" of the episode, but I suppose one could dismiss those claims based on nostalgic bias.

19. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I know for a fact there are. My brother bitched about them when they came out.

20. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I'd prefer just the well written episodes to be redone, like MTMTE and Dark Awakening. Maybe Fire in the Sky but with an alternate beginning to them throwing snowballs in the desert.

Here's my list:

MTMTE (I do like the G2 revamp where they had footage with Targetmasters)
    Dark Awakening
    Fire in the Sky
    Chaos (with Chaos as an energy being rather than a dog headed monster, and no Runamuck flying around on Blast Off silliness)
    Grimlock's New Brain
    Money is Everything

Beef up the battles in all of them.

OR

Properly redub the Japanese G1 series'.

OR

Rerelease TF:TM for it's 25th anniversary with the deleted scenes properly animated and added. That would be a great anniversary set. Oh and include the battle with Omega Supreme and the Gestalts at the Ark.