What if someone like Chris Nolan Directed TFs (short rant too)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by encline, Jul 29, 2008.

1. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was just thinking, as cool and fun as part one was, what if the Transformers series was taken a Darker more mature direction. More character developement and so one. Do you think I would be as successful?
    I say Chris Nolan because the way Joker and Dent, Bruce, everyone was, you got a true feeling of how the characters roots are.

I really like the first one, A LOT. But this news of Starscream not being the G1 backstabbing Starscream that has been popular for 25 years got me thinking. What is the point of having a Character named Starscream, but, only by name. Heck, look at animated, Starscream is even MORE twisted, cold and backstabbing. Animated really brought Starscream to a full.

But this, dedicated military soldier Starscream.. I know I will like what they do with TF:ROTF, but, I hate when they use name for namesake (and to sell the toys)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  2. encline

News Credits:
    Hmm. Nobody has opinions?

3. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't know if Chris Nolan would do a good job on Transformers (or any other "favourite director" names) mostly because a lot of these guys make good movies that don't feature a cast of characterized special effects creatures as the lead attraction. Making good Batman films doesn't immediately transfer to making good SFX movies.

4. encline

News Credits:
    I only say Nolan because his name is well known and many people could understand the direction.

I am saying a Darker Transformers, with a WAR WITHIN, Spawn animated series, ect. type feel with much better character development.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    If anything, I think the Movie franchise would turn out ten times more successful than it already is. In fact, I'm of the opinion that a condensed, live-action version of Animated's 'Transform and Roll Out', 'Lost and Found' and 'Megatron Rising' would have worked amazingly on the big screen, and could have been what all the fans were clamoring for from the very start.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If Nolan directed Transformers, they would all be Human, but people would call them Robots because of some disfunctionality they had. The ability to Transform, thus the name Transformers, would correspond to the way the main characters curl up into a fetal position whenever they feel threatened. It would be a very different movie. I LOVEd Dark Knight, but I want Boom, Slam, Crash for my Transformers. Not that DK didn't have enough of that, but I'm happy with Bay Burgers.

7. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    While I do enjoy the first movie, I'd like to think that Nolan would be able to put out a great TF movie if he ever worked on one, but I'm still not sure how well it would turn out. I'd really have to see him do something similar first. That and I'd rather Bay stick threw for #2 & 3 to finish of this peticular story arc. Then maybe a bit later on someone churn out a different TF movie. Kinda like Batman Begins did for Batman. I've got a great idea how to make a live-action version of Beast Wars, even though I'm not a big fan of it, lol.

8. encline

News Credits:
    emo-formers!!

YEAH, gotta have boom. I like what Bay has done, maybe just a little more Spielberg involvement?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  9. luca_frontino

luca_frontino Well-Known Member

I'll say it again.
    I felt Transformers was made as a joke, it doesn't take itself serious at all.
    While The Dark Knight is a masterpiece. Disturbing, thrilling masterpiece. Because it's serious, dark and violent.

Transformers is already rooted in a campy tone, so stupid that it made me wanting already a reboot in the TDK way.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yea, I agree. And by that I guess I would like to see a bit more character development on the robots. More conversation, but no so much that they do become emo-formers.

"There's a thin line between being a hero, and being a memory"

"Hhahah, I think Ironhide's ready for a nice office job,"

Things like that, mixed in with the BOOM.

11. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I always found G1 Starscream somewhat one-dimensional and annoying.

The direction Reign of Starscream is taking with him thus far is enjoyable, and if that's the direction he's gonna take in Revenge of the Fallen, I wouldn't mind at all.

I sure don't want to hear "I STARSCREAAAAAM WANT TO RUUUUUULE! DECEPTICONS, RETREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAT!" on the big screen.

12. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    G1 Sarscream has no appeal, he just wanted to be leader for no reason.

Nolan in TF? No thanks, I like his batman adaptations but Michael Bay knows how to make them spectacular, Nolan relies in character development, somehting that can't be done the same way in transformers due to budget limitations, also the action would be much more slower, something I don't want.

13. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    if Chris Nolan directed Transformers, there would be lots of flashbacks in the first hour of the film without telling us that -- that particular scene is in fact a flashback

ie The Prestige and Batman Begins

14. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Remembering that for most of the audience for live-action Transformers movies, their suspension of disbelief is stretched to quite a degree, I think it would be harder to create deep, serious business characterisation for the Transformers regardless of budget, if only so it doesn't become self-parody. The tone of something like Nolan's Batman films is WAAAAAY too highbrow for Transformers.

Transformers has generally been fun fluff, and Bay's movies continue this tradition.

15. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

IMO Bay and Transformers were a match made in heaven.

16. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

anyone other than bay would've been a much better choice. nolan would definately be interesting but someone like favreau or maybe a del toro woulda been great or someone who was actually a fan or at least knew a little about tf's instead of thinking they were some joke. instead we get the worst of the worst in bay. why did he have to do tf's? WHY OH WHY?

17. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    I'm of the opnion bay was made to direct this movie series, as the visuals in his films are usually superb. People act as if Bay writes and directs like Nolan. He does not. He is a director, and ocassionally, he will tweak things. But he is not screenwriter, such as Nolan. Aside from James Cameron, Peter Jackson, and Spielberg himself, there aren't many people who could do this franchise right. As long as the script focuses on character this time, and the upgrade in Budget and lower cost of animating the robots creates less "shaky cam", Bay will nail this one.

An overly serious Transformers (in the vein of the Dark Knight) would suck. I'm glad we don't have someone so dedicated to an idea (think Brian Singer's horrible attempt at recreating magic by knock offing the 80s Superman flicks.... ewwwwwwww), that they are afraid to tweak and adjust.

18. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Because like it or not, Bay is pretty much what Transformers is all about.

- Shallowness
    - Flashiness
    - Explosions
    - Fighting
    - Product Placements (hey, they've been walking adverts since 1984)

19. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    QFT

20. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout TF Fan Artist

News Credits:
    I was going to say pretty much the same thing. :)