What if Ratbat become leader in the cartoon?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by MaxLinden, Jan 31, 2011.

1. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    What if Ratbat become leader in the cartoon?
    Do you think they would take his comic personality or what?
    Explain what you think they would do with him... xD

2. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It wouldn't happen, as the leader back then needed a big expensive toy.

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yeah, Given how he led the Ultracons in War Within does make me think it could have happened.

Also he would have needed a bigger toy, Scourge retool anyone?

4. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    That's what that new head looked like to me.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    in the G1 cartoon Ratbat movie included had what ? maybe 2 minutes of screen time? heck he is barely seen in call of the primitives.

so i cannot see it happening.

6. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    If he had, fans would still be arguing about it 25 years later.

Come to think of it, Ratbat as leader of the Decepticons was a low point in the G1 comics for me. "Buster Witwicky and the Car Wash of Doom" was dumber than any of the dumbest plots from the cartoon. (Sorry, Bud.)

If he'd ever tangled one-on-one with Shockwave, Megatron or even Starscream...it would have been a lop-sided, lame and quick fight. And Scorponok proved that in a single blast:

[​IMG]

7. Prowl 2009

Prowl 2009 A Decepticons Downfall

If Ratbat became leader in the cartoon, Starscream would probably try to overthrow him as well. :p 

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Yeah, but Ratbat being the leader of the cons was the best part of that low point. :) 

It was such a refreshing change from the norm, to have a leader who could handle the role, without needing to be a frontline bruiser. He managed to hold onto command for a surprising period of time, considering that his clout was purely bureaucratic, with no real muscle to back it up. I guess he supposedly controlled the fuel supply, though how that worked is a bit vague.

As for the theorized upcoming Scourge repaint... it's a nice homage to Megaton:Origin (nicer than that series deserves, truth be told), but for me, if Ratbat's native form isn't a robot bat, it's just not Ratbat for me.

The native animal modes of many of those "deployers" (as well as Sky Lynx) was one of the things that I most liked about them. It was a cool deviation from the anthrocentrism of sentient Cybertronian life.

zmog

9. thespaniard

thespaniard Well-Known Member

seeing as he takes orders from soundwave in the catoon it would seem doughtful. none of the cons would stoop to taking orders from a casette bot not even rumble. can ratbat even talk. i know the stupid japanese made some of the other casette bots talk but i dont count that series cuz it was a joke. the decepticons rule with might ratbat would get sqaushed by a laughing starscream

10. KWFlange

KWFlange You're So Jelly

MAX!
    I think it would work for a miniseries within a series. He has always been the sly sinister type. He was always a behind the scenes kind of character with more resources than personal strength.
    So I imagine if he did take command in a cartoon it would be his IDW version who would probably end up becoming a cassette later when megatron (or whomever) figured out what was up.

11. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

This.

I'm still MAJORLY confused as to WHO THE HELL came up with the idea that Soundwaves squeaking pet should be a Decepticon LEADER!???

Such utter stupidy...it just seems to me that whoever thought it up was some sort of rampant fanboy with an illogical fixation on the very, very small (in terms of both stature and overall importance) G1 character - I mean damn, if you wanted a sinister, manipulative behind the scenes villain, Mindwipe would have been a much, much better way of satisfying that bat festish.

12. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Do not underestimate the power of a mini-cassette.

13. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The story could be that he got leadership by hypno-controlling his followers.

14. KWFlange

KWFlange You're So Jelly

As a kid I already called my Mindwipe figure Ratbat(I know i fail...but I was 2 or 3)...We don't need any more confusion lol.

15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    In the snowball's-chance-in-hell ratbat became leader, do you know what I think it would honestly mean? PEACE. The Great War was the first and foremost reason for the energy bankruptcy of Cybertron, and it's still the first and foremost use of whatever is left for the Decepticon army. And considering their track record in the cartoon, they probably weren't seeing amazing returns on their investment. Assuming ratbat could take control, and maintain a peace between eons-old enemies while managing a faction of facists, misanthropes, homicidal maniacs, sociopaths, and power-hungry warlords, it could actually open the door to some pretty interesting story concepts. The Decepticons weren't able to get the humans to side with them (at least not for long) while they were wrecking up the place and trying to achieve conquest, but what if they were willing to try commerce? What would human governments be willing to give up for cybertronian technology? How would the autobots fit in with a new world of exploitative business? Could a situation even last for long, or would the Autobots break the peace they've wanted for so very long to protect the long-term interests of the humans they swore to protect?

16. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I suspect it was Bob Budiansky who came up with the idea that Ratbat should become the Decepticons' leader, since he was the writer of the comics at that time. I further suspect it was a case of Ratbat being in the right place at the right time. Budiansky has said in interviews that Hasbro was always coming to him with new characters to introduce (and make up new personalities for), and at the time, Megatron was presumed dead and Shockwave had already had his day in the sun. Budiansky was required to introduce Ratbat into the comic, so why not go against expectations and make this tiny, fairly powerless cassette a master manipulator who could trick Shockwave into an unsurvivable situation rather than take him down in single combat? (And sure, he did survive, but it was Furman who brought him back, not Budiansky.) And then to finally get killed, again not in combat, but due to his own hubris and overconfidence making it impossible for him to even contemplate the notion that someone might outthink him?

Yeah, I liked it.

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Despite the rationalization, I never liked Ratbat being any sort of overall Decepticon leader.

18. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I won't deny that Smog and Ikkstakk make good points. And I'll agree that it was a clever concept to flip the idea of what fans would expect to see in a Decepticon leader. Ratbat as leader was a massive contradiction.

But for starters, his name was freaking RATBAT, for Furman's sake!

And just the idea of a minion as a leader was something I was never able to accept. Sure, Ratbat's the kind of character that you'd always have to be wary of and never let your guard down around (especially in the dark). But as a leader to be feared and respected? Seriously? What did Ratbat ever to do earn that? The history of Decepticon leadership was founded on fear and intimidation. In the G1 comics, Shockwave used Megatron's ruined body in defeat to show the Decepticons that he was not one to be challenged. He took out Cybertron's greatest warrior. That was big time. The message was loud and clear: follow or be destroyed.

If Ratbat ever had a moment like this, we never got a chance to see it. I guess you could say that Ratbat was just in the right place at the right time -- Shockwave got himself burned up re-entering Earth's atmosphere. And just when you think Starscream would finally seize his chance to be leader, he went against type and accepted being Ratbat's lackey so he could covertly pursue a source of ultimate power.

One of the tropes of children's fiction is that the bad guy often seems to be more interesting and entertaining than the good guy. Ratbat was a major exception to the rule. Ratbat had three core problems against him ever achieving popularity with kids:

1. His name had "Rat" in it (and it rhymed with "bat").
    2. He was small and unimpressive or formidable.
    3. He transformed into a cassette tape.

19. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I'm in the same boat, something just never sat right with him being a leader. Yes he was capable but the leader seemed far more fitting to someone else, maybe it's down to something quite trivial i.e being a cassette :eek: 

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    It was also very jarring for Soundwave to be taking orders from him. I mean, I know that's the concept of "Decepticon leader", but one of the things I always thought was very cool about Soundwave is that he had his own minions - and led them quite well.

"No one calls Soundwave 'uncrasimatic'!" really shows how much the cassettes respected and feared their own commander.

I think "jarring" is the keyword for me, as I distinctly remember how much I was put off by the issues depicting Ratbat as the "leader". I have to admit my own biases here, though, as I was knee deep in the cartoon as well. However, even as an adult going through the Marvel series, it still resonates this way.