What if Pretenders returned?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Darkscreamer785, Oct 9, 2008.

?

Would you like it if Pretenders were re-done in Classics 2.0?

1. Yes, they were awsome!

31 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. They weren't so great, but re-doing them might be pretty cool.

25 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Yes.

6 vote(s)
    6.2%
  4. I liked them back in the day, but, no.

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  5. No.

7 vote(s)
    7.2%
  6. NEVER!!! They were absolutely terrible, and there's NO way that they could EVER be cool!!!

23 vote(s)
    23.7%
  7. Unsure.

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. Darkscreamer785

Darkscreamer785 Waiting For The End

Lets all face it, pretenders are one of worst ideas in the TF universe, and the figures were even worse; however, what if Hasbro decided to redo their molds(Pretender shells included, obviously), and release them in Classic 2.0? Does anyone here think that they would actually be pretty cool since toys have improved so much since then, or that they're irredeemable?

I, personally, think that the whole idea of them is just completely stupid; however, after looking at Dreamwave's pictures of them I started to think that maybe SOME of them wouldn't be so bad to have re-done. I think the robots themselves deserve justice, and there are a few Pretender shells that weren't so bad, like Submarauder's.

Overall, I think that it would be cool to have a good amount of the bots inside the shells re-done; however, most of the pretender shells were just ridiculous looking and I doubt Hasbro would be able to make them look appealing enough for me to put money into.

2. Drake915

Drake915 Autobot Scout

I personally think it would be awesome to get a couple of them. With the way toys r nowadays they could really put their mark on transformers. I actually liked them when they came out back in the day. It was a new concept and yes giant humans that have robots inside is kinda weird, but i'm sure they could make it work now. Come up with a good reason and story for it; even if they had to change the pretender shell on the autobots to be something other than a large human and it would be cool. Regardless they could give us at least 1 decepticon pretender since they were monsters anyway. Now just for a headmaster....and a damn goldbug figure!

3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and guess you've never read the Marvel comics?

Anyway, hells yes, I want Pretenders! With modern engineering and effort, these could be very awesome figures. At the top of my list is Thunderwing, which has it's repaint all ready in Black Shadow, both of whom I'd eagerly buy. Then there's Bludgeon, who deserves some real love (and a sword!) from the 25th Anniversary line.

I'd prefer Crossformer Pretenders to just static Pretenders, but I'd be glad to get any.

4. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    It would be interesting to see how Hasbro redesigns the gimmick using current technology, but I don't really see a need for it.

5. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    Here's hoping for Universe Classics 2.0 Bludgeon.

6. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Yeah, I'd be up for 'em, especially if they can rig them so the shell actually has half-decent articulation as well. I liked the Pretender figs, but the main falldown for me was the sheer lack of posability in either the bots or the shells. They were, as Kevin Smith might have called them, "inaction figures". :p 
    Reworked with modern designs, and hopefully altmodes that look like more than folded up robots, and they'd be a definite win. :D 

7. Darkscreamer785

Darkscreamer785 Waiting For The End

Yeah, he would be be cool. I think his pretender has a lot of potential.

8. Drake915

Drake915 Autobot Scout

I really feel for all the bludgeon people. Especially since they said they have too many tanks as is and didn't do bludgeon for that reason. Yes they were going to and had a design but scratched it because of all the tank molds. Just blame the crappy Galvatron tank mold. He should of been at least a voyager and a weird space gun or howitzer thing anyway. For all curious my site for that information is from issue #23 of the transformers collectors club magazine (Oct/Nov 08) pg 5 2nd paragraph.

9. n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt Wreaker

NEVAR!

Without ranting... Pretenders have no place in the TF universe... PERIOD!

10. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bludgeon, Pretender Monsterbots, or the pretender shells that transformed those were all gold.

11. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

2 concepts they need to have make 1 appearance each in the line,

Headmaster and Pretender. They made a mark good or bad on any TF fan.

Oh, and a new Thundercracker with his actionmaster colors would be nice. /hide

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I love Bludgeon, Octopunch, Thunderwing, and the Pretender Monsters. New versions of them would rock.

13. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    The pretenders are bad, it has a few cool ones Thunderwing is a great fig but thats it.

I rather see the Micromasters vechiels come back but moderniced to fit the minicons. The minicons must have hade a city before they left Cybertron.

I take micromasters before Pretenders anyday.

14. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bring 'em on. Find a way to make them articulated and still fun. Pick some of the more popular ones like Bludgeon, Thunderwing, Octopunch, and Skullgrin, as well as Landmine and Cloudburst. I'll buy 'em all.

Chris

15. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Don't forget Bomb-Burst. Who doesn't want a vampire Transformer? :p 

16. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With modern engineering, it could be done well I think - the main problems with (most) of the G1 pretenders were:

1. Lack of articulation on the outer shells, even by G1 standards.
    2. Some 'wtf?' vehicle modes, particularly on the first wave.

Both of these issues could be overcome today IMHO. It's a shame we'll never get that Bludgeon, but an IDW-style Thunderwing would be all kinds of awesome.

17. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've never touched a Pretender toy in my life. :( 

18. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    Transformers that don't transform do not work.

19. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Second to last option.

Pretenders, IMO =FAIL.

20. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

I'd like to see Pretenders done with today's technology if only to see how they'd do them w/today's engineering. Not a whole lot, not an entire wave. Just one or two for each faction, tops. Maybe one Deluxe and one Voyager for each (Deluxe being the normal, and Voyager being the Crossformer type). Bludgeon and Thunderwing for the Cons, and...Metalhawk and Crossblades or Vroom for the Bots. So we get a nice Marvel Comics duo, a Masterforce guy, and...someone that is forgotten by most of the fandom.

Modern headmasters, again just one or two each, would be great as well. Deluxe Chromedome vs ... Mindwipe perhaps? Can't have enough bats/beasts. Have the big guys be Ultras instead, and have them be (smaller) versions of Fort Max and Scorponok, with some of their parts Legends sized, or Mini-Con sized.

And redoing some old Micromaster bases on Micron scale and w/powerlinx ports and all that would be cool, too.

Again, just a few each.