What if Peter Cullen retires?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Macross79, Sep 8, 2017.

1. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Beardy Boyo!

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

I know who gets my vote :p 

Long may Peter Cullen reign, but he has certainly earned his retirement when he wants that to happen.

Gary Chalk or John Bailey would be the most likely candidates.

If money was no object, I'd actually love to see Liam Neeson have a go at it.

2. BumblebeeFan71

BumblebeeFan71 Loyal Starscream Follower

Gary Chalk I wouldn't mind but I really would prefer someone like Josh Petersdorf over Jon Bailey and it's all because of "Combiner Wars." Don't get me wrong, Jon does have that similar tone that's usually associated with Optimus, but his voice just comes off as... well generic. Perhaps maybe this is the show's fault more than Jon's, but his Optimus voice came off as a dull monotone voice with barely any changing emotion. It didn't even sound stoic or carry that hint of righteousness Peter Cullen seems to be able to give it. All I could hear is someone talking deep for the sake of it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus TFW2005 Supporter

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

I love John DiMaggio's work but I would always hear Bender or Jake the Dog if he were to voice Optimus. He's more suited for off-beat, rude and comedic characters. In my "G1 remade" fantasy, John could voice Ironhide and/or one of the more sarcastic Constructicons.

• Like Like x 1
  4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

If it's specifically supposed to be G1 Prime, in the lighter style of Sunbow, then I'd pick "Dr. Smoov." If it's the modern post-Bayverse Prime, then Josh Petersdorf does seem like a really good match.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Dropkick

Dropkick Worse aim than Misfire.

Google+:
    YouTube:
    I like Peter Cullen, but if they had to find another voice actor, I bet they'd find a good one. Hasbro has done "decent" jobs with Optimus Prime voices, so I doubt they'd go with a bad choice. I trust Hasbro to make a good decision.

At least Hasbro's their own company, and at least they're not owned by some money-sponging company that loves making reboots just for the sake of reboots and not caring about continuity and giving no damns about character and loving to make their audience go crazy because "We do it for the KIDS!!!" and CONSTANT ASS JOKES. *cough cough* Cartoon Network *cough cough*
    (I'm ranting again, so I'll stop.)

6. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    when Cullen retires/dies, i think Hasbro should just retire Optimus Prime as a character. let some other Autobots get the spotlight for a while.

7. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus Page D'Ecriture Spy Cousin Jeice

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    John DiMaggio is more Suited for Megatron honestly.

8. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    You know, my dad once met Gary Chalk. He played a game of Golf with him once. My dad told me he met him and he made some Optimus Prime phrases to him.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wheeljackie

Wheeljackie NYEH HEH HEH

As much as i love Peter Cullen's work as Optimus, David Kaye will always be my favorite voice for him.

10. DaveWire

DaveWire Well-Known Member

Jon Bailey is young and does an excellent job at mimicking Peter Cullen's voice. And who doesn't love Honest Trailers? He's just got such an epic voice guys.

11. BumblebeeFan71

How about someone who watched Combined Wars? He can do the tone, sure, but his impression of Optimus really comes off as dull. Then again, everyone but Megatron sounded either dull, emotionless, or bored in that show.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Jon Bailey sounds too much like just that - a mimic. He doesn't try to make the role his own or bring something new to the table, he just does his best imitation of Peter Cullen. That guy on the first page who voices Roadhog in Overwatch, I could actually see that guy performing the role with his own gravitas and talent while still honoring Peter's portrayal.

• Like Like x 1
  13. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If Cullen retires, it is the perfect opportunity for them to also replace Optimus. As much as I adore Optimus, due to the ridiculous exposure, I have grown desensitized of his presence. And, as much I'd hate to see Cullen retire from the scene, it would mark a seamless moment to also retire Optimus.

14. BumblebeeFan71

Well I'm not sure if they'll shelve Optimus. Basically the whole 1986 incident thing. But they might move him to a lesser role, at least that's what he's been doing in RiD2015. He's more of the mentor that only steps in when things get dire in that show.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017