What if Optimus wasn't Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rodimus, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

What if Optimus wasn't featured as Leader of the Autobots in a new show? How do you think that would go over?

I have heard some fans in the past suggest that it would be refreshing to try a different leader like Rodimus or Ultra Magnus in one of the new series.

Do you think you would enjoy a Transformers show that featured different leaders for a change? Or do you think it would be a bad move for Transformers?

My feeling in this situation is that Optimus should be used later on halfway (or near the end) of the series as a legend returning to help the cause. This would allow for some freshness while making his arrival all that more impactful, and still utalizing one of the most iconic characters in Transformers.

I do think it would be nice to let some other characters like Ultra Magnus, Rodimus, or Galvatron have their true return to the spot light and gain some positive exposure. I think it would be good for the mythos to have some fresh stories like that. All the while entertaining us with these classic characters and making their appearences count.

What does everyone else think?

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I want a TF show with all new characters.

3. Starscream'sSis

Starscream'sSis Ravage! Bad Kitty!

What if he wasn't Prime because they did a prequel where Optimus is not leader yet (excuse me if this is done)? I think one thing that depresses me about the various series' that took place after G1 (and I am gathering this just from hearing about them, I have not seen them) is that most or all the old characters are dead, yet they have pretty much done nothing to create peace between the autobots and decepticons. It is a pretty bleak outlook...but maybe that is just me.

4. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    I think Transformers Victory was pretty much like that, with Star Saber taking the spotlight and commanding role of a whole new crew of Autobots/Cybertrons. (Ginrai doesn't count as Optimus Prime to me)

It'd be an opportunity to get to really like another leader other than Optimus Prime, but Star Saber didn't do it for me. He came off as a bit too flashy and young for my taste.

Though I could be biased with the mentality that it's hard to replace Optimus Prime as a leader.

5. Rodimus

This is not biased but truth. *Points to sig* :D 

Optimus Prime was Rodimus Prime's hero. ;) 

6. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Replacing Prime as the new leader is like suicide.

7. A Lance

A Lance Give me your hugs

I visualise it something like the Hindenburg filled with kittens.

I always liked this idea; Having Ops and Megs worshiped like Gods, forgotten as legends, found and restored (perhaps their return reparking the conflict but that's far to complex for a 7 year old to understand.). However I think they’re going to market Ops as a Lion-o type character to be the new Hot rod...

8. bushboy

bushboy Hardcore Decepticon

I think it could be good, but the fandom would rip it worse than they did Bay a year or so ago.

9. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I would love this. Ops v Megs has been done enough in all forms of media for a while.

The best TF stories ever IMO were the B&W back-ups in the UK comics. I loved seeing just Transformer stories, not the same crew over and over.

10. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As long as the story and the writing is good.

And if there is a nice toy line.

11. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Hasbro has basicly said that this will never happen. Toy marketing these days is all about brand identity. They have a name that people know and respond well to and they will continue to use it until there is a reason not to.

At one of their Botcon panels a few years back, they told us that as far as they could see, in every new series OP will be the Autobot leader and Megatron will be the Decepticon leader.

12. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

Yep, there is also a need to keep the name trademarks fresh, or someone might jump at the chance of stealing them, and I don't think Hasbro would want to waste money and time in court proving that despite there being no doubt in the first place, that the name is rightfully theirs. I remember reading somewhere they almost lost one of the big Transformer names a while back when the name wasn't in use (at that time).

I had an idea a long time ago to work around this so that it would be possible for someone else to take up the mantle of Autobot leader. I came up with the series which would have Optimus step back and take an advisory yet important role instead, while someone else became Autobot Leader. Or we could have him go off on a crucial tangential quest that requires him to relinquish the responsibility of Autobot leadership for a while. Both ways Prime would still be active and play a big part in the series and there would be an open slot for a new leader.

13. Rodimus

Now that is something I like. Basically it would be some what like Ultra Magnus was for Rodimus Prime, only Optimus as more of an authority figure who KNOWS what to do in every situation. In a nut shell, Magnus always told Rodimus to just figure it out. But Optimus Prime was always Rodimus' hero and I would LOVE to see that social dynamic play out in a story since we never got to see it before. I'd love to see that dynamic within the Autobots leadership. Where Optimus grooms Rodimus into a good leader. That's the thing about Rodimus in G1. There was no one there to really there to teach him how to be a leader. It just happened and he had to figure it out. But Optimus Prime had Alpha Trion as his father figure (literally) to teach him how to be a true leader and a Autobot, plus he had millions of years experience by the time the show started.

I would like to see Optimus be that for Rodimus.

14. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

Optimus Lame

Prime FTW

15. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

i could see prime as being a general or other high ranking autobot and be in an episode every now and then. then the show could focus on lesser autobots. i think of how it is now and i imagine that they could tweak the title to something like "Optimus Prime and the Autobots" then it'd have a reason to to show optimus and megs all the time but the title is TRANSFORMERS. i wouldn't mind the main leader being some sort of "prime" like how the japanese shows have different convoys. i'm reminded of power rangers. they have a new cast every year, but they kept the leader as the red ranger.

16. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

I wouldn't mind a new show with a new leader, but I would absolutely hate it if Optimus was a secondary character and NOT the leader.

17. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

fair enough :) 

18. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    A story idea I have been developing has the Autobots as scattered groups spread out across the galaxy. Optimus is the main leader, inheritor of the Matrix etc. but other Autobots turn up along the way as well who've been out of contact for years, not knowing if they are the last or not, so you end up with a couple of different groups with their own leaders who don't follow Prime, and aren't all that crazy about it.

I've also got a plotline in there where once Optimus' team hooks up with one of these other teams, Optimus is critically wounded and the other team leader takes over until Optimus can be fixed. Also, I'm using Grimlock as a character very critical of Optimus, so there's a chance of Optimus handing over to him.

This is all based on the Classics line, so the more characters released in that line, the more I can expand this universe of mine! I'm already importing extra characters from Energon and Cybertron to fill in gaps, though.

19. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

After Prime died in the series, the ratings sank. Whats that tell ya? Worst mistake was to kill prime.

20. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Think an Optimus break would be cool Then when he returns we'll all be like "F$%@$ YEAH!! "
    Hopefully he returns pissed.