What if Optimus Prime didn't die in the original movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bass X0, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Hey, he saved wheelie once!:confused2 

You're right, kill him.

No, I liked that Prime died, that post a few up from here put it best ... puts some doubt on the heroes' side.

2. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I thought it was awesome that all the old bots died in the movie, gave it a definite hard edge.

Season 3, however, should have been better.

3. Sound Blaster

Sound Blaster Shattered Glass World

OK here's my take on it:

(Adn it's in no order)

I'm guessing Hasbro wanted all of the Original G1 Autobots & Decepticons gone to make way for other characters to be introduced. By killing them off or re-making them into another character.And since we are on that point How you get 3 Damaged Insecticons,Skywarp & Thundercracker to be Scourge & Cyclonus??? Cyclonus had a clone??? I know of the sweeps (3) but who the hell was Cyclonus's clone??? Skywarp?? Thundercracker??

And when they killed off Prime it was a backlash of kids that wanted him back. You know looking back on it TF The Movie was one of the first if NOT the first to be that violent when it came to a kids toy where actual character's got "Killed" off. I remember hearing of stories about how little kids were crying when the robots got destroyed. For it's time it was pretty loud statement. But that was the decision to take Optimus Prime out then have him be replaced by Rodimus but since kids loved OP so much I take it they brought him back..only to have the Japanease people kill Optimus Off AGAIN in the Headmasters series....:rip 

See people in the US like characters to a point where we want to see them go on and on and not die but when they do kill a key character that doesn't sit well with alot of kids etc. Maybe we should take some advice from the Japanease they keep blowing shit up all the time and rarely have any main character to focus on just the story itself and if someone dies then no biggie it's just a story

But what a helluva story!

4. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

He would have been killed by Frenzy or possibly Wheelie.

5. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

I wouldnt have cried. Oh wait SS would still have died, so yeah I still would have cried. LOL

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    G1 had a storyline?!

7. sharke

sharke canadian piece of sh*t

finally someone who cried for the same reason i did

8. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

If that happened, I would like the movie more.

9. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

The movie is a cult classic today and is melted into all of our heads because of the deaths. Don't kid your self. You don't see anywhere close to as many people talk about the gijoe movie, the carebears movies, Thundercats ect. Why because they were standard 80's animated stuff. Same stuff that you saw every weekday on tv before or after school.
    Transformers was radical. It was different. It looked at the line of what you can and can't do in a kids movie and shot it to hell.
    That's why kids talked about it all summer and have never stopped even today in their late 20's and 30's.
    The deaths made the movie mean something. The events mattered.

10. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Agreed. Had it not been for the death of Prime, Transformers would've just been another 80's toon.

11. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    Prime, Ratchet,Ironhide and Prowl dieing really set up the Drama in the film. Jazz, Bumblebee and Cliffjumper also got side lined. It created a great amount of doubt, if the characters who always won and always came out on top couldn't come through who would? Prime's death made the story so much better. I totally understand why kids didn't like the film in 1986, they made a movie for adults and pretended it was for kids. I didn't like the movie when I watched it in the theatre as a kid either, but looking back i realize the film makers made great decisions and a great film. Season 3 has some great stuff in it though I agree they should have never brought back Prime, Starscream yes, Prime no. You still had fan favorites like Grimlock and Soundwave mixed in with the new characters. I think the five faces of death was a great five episode story arc that was right up there with anything they did in season 1 &2, if not better.

12. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    If Optimus didn't die in this movie... Duke would have died in the GI Joe movie :p 

13. GladiatorPrime

GladiatorPrime working on Rampage P2-V2

Hasbro probably wouldn't have killed interest in the Transformers back in the Late 80's! And we'd probably have a whole list of different Transformer shows to watch!

14. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Preceptor should have gotten a clue and figured out how to repair Optimus without the use of the Matrix. Optimus Prime (recovering) could have still given the Matrix to Ultra Magnus, the Movie could have continued as usual, with Rodimus offering to give back the Matrix at the Movie's end. Optimus, could have "retired" and remained on as advisor to the new leader. I bet the shows would have been better in season 3 without Rodimus making so many stupid decisions. I bet Optimus Prime would have even invited the Junkions to Earth to try and repair some of the fallen heroes, the Ark wouldn't have gotten destroyed, and the Dinobots wouldn't have ended up as clowns. No stupid Funeral Ark either.

15. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    True.

I think not killing Prime would make the film just generic. The Movie and the third season set up Prime as a messaic figure in his self-sacrificing/resurrecting nature, which continues to this day. Overall, I just enjoy the Movie as an alternate future narrowly avoided in the comics by Galvatron's time travelling.

16. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

Nevermind ignoring that hasbro was running out of ideas, making the toys worse with each year, and aging core fan base and the nintendo revolution.

Nope just primes death.....

17. Metroflex

Metroflex Banned

The movie wouldn't have been as good. :) 

-Unicron creates Galvatron and tells him he needs to go back to Autobot City and finish the job.

-Galvatron arrives at Autobot City and attacks. The Autobots flee with Prime basically taking Ultra Magnus' place on that shuttle. Maybe Magnus goes with Kup and Hot Rod now, maybe not. Doesn't really matter, Magnus gets lost in the shuffle now.

-If Prime goes to Junkion, then Galvatron follows him there. Maybe Galvatron gets the matrix and blows Prime up. If so, the Junkions fix Prime like they did with Magnus. If Prime turns back Galvatron's attack, then he flies to Unicron, gets in him, opens the matrix and destroys Unicron.

-If Prime goes to Quintessa, then everything that happened to Kup and Hot Rod still happens, only with Prime joining them. This ruins the chemistry between the young whipper-snapper Hot Rod and the old crotchety Kup. Prime's like a fifth wheel.

Blah. I prefer the way it was done. Prime had his time on the cartoon, it was time to give some screen time to new characters. And by killing Prime off, I think it solidified his place as a cartoon legend. No other hero like that had been killed off at the time, so it really made him stand out from the crowd of He-Man, Duke, Bravestarr, Lion-o and so on.

And I loved how the most unlikely Autobot saves the day in the movie. A valuable lesson for kids; you don't have to be the biggest or strongest or fastest or smartest in order to make a huge difference. You just have to "dare to believe."

18. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Prime would whoop some ass, then he would do it right and instead of opening the matrix like Jackass HotRod did (we know he did it to be prime). He would put the matrix into Vector Sigwhatever, and cybertron woulda transformed into Primus, and the movie woulda ruled. But noooooobody thought of that back then, laaaaame.

19. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    This is a very intresting question but what if ironhide and prowl surived who would get the matrix?

20. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ultra Magnus. Ironhide is no leader, as much as a brother as he was to Prime in the show.