What if Optimus Prime didn't die in the original movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bass X0, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    What if instead of giving the matrix to Ultra Magnus, the Matrix bestowed new life into him and restored him completely?

What do you think would have happened for the rest of the movie? Galvatron would still exist though.

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

We'd get a new Optimus Prime toy, and the Matrix would forever be derided by fans as even more of a story cop-out than it already is, since it would effectively make Prime immortal.

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Galvatron would still exist and we wouldn't have such Crappy Adeventures.

4. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    No, not in terms of the toyline, in terms of the storyline.

5. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

If Optimus Prime didn't die in the movie, who knows what would have happened in the rest of the movie and into the third season? Though... I'd have to admit, it would have been nice if, at the end where Hot Rod is struggling to fight against Galvatron, Optimus Prime was revived just in time to stop the threat of Unicron... by the matrix, of course.

6. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I'd have a different favorite Transformer, as Rodimus Prime would never have existed. :( 

Also we'd have lost some of the better season three episodes: Dark Awakening and Burden Hardest to Bear.

7. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    He wouldve come up with the flame decal idea before Bay

8. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

Same thing in this instance.

9. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

The movie would not be as good without the drama effect.

10. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I always thought, even as a child, that it would have been cool if the Ultra Magnus character never existed. Instead, Prime opened the Matrix and it upgraded him witih a new trailer and the ability to combine with it to become a super robot. My idea was sort of validated a couple of years later when they did basically the same thing with Powermaster Prime, and it was REALLY validated as an adult when I saw the old Diaclone Powered Convoy for the first time. That color scheme would have been perfect for my old childhood idea.

11. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I've always thought that too

12. Rabbit

Rabbit Weary

He would have eventually lost his edge, recorded a few subpar albums, cashed in on his older revolutionary work by selling it out for use in a few car commercials, ride the wave with 'b-sides' or 'best of' collections for a few more years before announcing his retirement, then coming out of retirement for a comeback/reunion show and then doing ads for life insurance policies for the over 50 set.

Better to burn out than fade away, man.

13. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

It would have been like that episode of family guy when grim sprains his ankle. The titanic scene.

14. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    I think if Optimus Prime didn't die, we would've have something of a more straightforward story, than we did to begin with, in which the Autobots defeat Galvatron/(Decepticons) and Unicron, because we all know if Prime is around the A-Team is gonna win no matter what. Aside from the actual reason (bringing in a new toyline and getting rid of the old line), I think Killing Prime was the writer's way of trying to bring a shadow of doubt into the viewer's mind ("What's gonna happen now, that Prime's dead?") as to how the situation would end up without the go-to Transformer in the picture. I mean, yeah, most probably figured out that the heroes would win and the villains would loose and were just pissed they killed Optimus, but you get the general ideal of what I'm presenting, qui (yes)?

As for what his toy would look like, I have no earthly idea. Maybe they would've just gave him a new paint job or something.

15. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, something similar happens in the little Japanese mini-comic that comes with Battle Covoy. Megatron basically tares Prime -Convoy- apart (Prime's in his Heroe form), but the Matrix within him basically begins to glow on it's own and reforms him into Battle Convoy -in the process completely restoring an arm and repairing all the damage that Megatron's cannon had done to his head-.

Frankly, I thought that having something like that happen in the original movie would have been cool. Of course, if that had happened it would have changed a lot of things.

16. hanwombat

hanwombat I'm not a Wombat really..

I'm glad Prime died in the way S3 and S4 were so crap, hated the new characters except Springer, Prime wouldn't fit into it all without his fellow original Autobots ;) 

17. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

Movie would have sucked.

The entire point of the movie is that HotRod is the chosen one who will light the Transformers darkest hour.

Primes death was sad. It was realistic. That is why the movie is awesome. If not for the death it would have been another episode.

This is also why I hate the Return of Prime. It hurts the movie so much.

18. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

I too im glad Prime died. No Rodimus Prime, no depth in characters in G1. Rodimus was the classic coming of age story. He goes from grunt to the man incharge and now he must deal with the power and the responsibilities with it. Fuck Optimus. Rodimus was always my favorite. I grew to like Prime as I got older but I'll always want Rodimus to make a come back.

19. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

The movie sucks because they killed so many of the original characters. It was pretty obvious the way the movie was written, that they were just trying to get rid of the characters that were the foundation of the franchise. Especially when you get a guy who'd been patching up bots left and right all through season two, who suddenly can't fix a hole in the side of a robot. :rolleyes2 

After Magnus was put back together, one of the Autobots needed to look at the Junkions and say "Look, our leader's back on Earth, and he's really fucked up."

20. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

If I could remake the 86' movie, I'd just let Ultra Magnus die at that point. He didn't do anything in the movie, never did anything in the post-movie season either.