What if G2 was written earlier or today?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Soundatron, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

It seems to me the 12 issue series of Generation 2 never got much attention and is quite frankly one of the most under-rated an over-looked pieces within the comic medium of Transformers. But the reason to this is simple, it was written and published within the early 90's. After the movie in '86 the fandom started to pipe down and little kids started to grow up or latch onto new cartoons and comics. But even today in our age of fans ranging from ages 20 - 30 years old. I find it hard to find anyone who appreciates G2.

I mean death was lurking around everywhere in this comic. Fotress Maximus and Spike died, Hot Spot sacrificed his life, Megatron nearly killed Prime, while Jhiaxus nearly killed Megatron, Megatron killed Bludgeon and more. Just the sheer thought of Prime and Megatron working together was unbelievable. Jhiaxus almost made Megatron look like a cute lil' orange tipped kiddy next to himself lol. Starscream got the matrix and for that made Megatron look like a fool. Plus the artwork for it was great. My only real complaint was the cliffhanger ending.

Now I am not trying to whine and cry over why G2 didn't get its props and that it should. I'm just asking why? Why is it still a dust collector after all these years upon TF fans?

2. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

You bring up some good points but as far as I can tell it's well respected for the kick ass story it is. The one reason I can think of that it is not as well know or talked about as much is it was never resoved or ended properly.

3. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    I wish I had more info about the G2 comics. Or at least all 12 issues.

4. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    The G2 comics were a direct continuation of Marvel's original 80 issue run of the Transformers. It took place "xx amount of years later", with the Autobots hunting down Bludgeon and the Decepticons.

Jhiaxus (or "Gee, Axe Us" as it was created as a stab at Marvel's office by Furman) went from being a mere plot advancement to total plot itself, as his race of "second generation" Transformers sought to conquer the Universe and wipe out the original Transformers. Though his "second generation" Transformers were all non-toy figures, all green/white in color, and kind of uninspired.

I never understood how they decided to take the idea of Generation 2 (the same Transformers only reborn) in to alien Transformers born from the originals, but not something you can buy in the stores.

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I found my set of the originals the other week. Need to sit down and read them again now that I've got them.

6. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

I love the G2 comics, they were the first TF comics I got as a kid. Unlike most people, I was born in the mid 80s, too late to get into G1, but was just the right age when G2 came around and G2 is what brought me into the fandom. I remember collecting the 12 G2 issues when they first came out and I still have the issues with me till this day (though I had to buy the TPB versions as well because to be honest, my originals ain't in the best shape)

Some might accuse the G2 comics of trying to be too "Extreme" as was the trend of most 90s comics at that time, with it feeling too gritty just for the sake of being trendy making it seemingly out of place with the original G1 Marvel run. I do agree that the characters seemed a bit, "vicious", so to speak, making them feel a bit out of character, especially for the Autobots. But I feel that this grittier setting really fits the story Furman was trying to tell, which I believe was an exploration on how the Cybertronian War has affected the warrior culture of the Transformers, by contrasting it with the culture of Jhiaxus's 2nd Generation Forces who left the Great War millenia ago. In fact I think this was the first time the Transformers conflict felt like a real war, with bigger scaled battles and heightened stakes.

Here's another thing that made G2 memorable. Characters who were previously rather Badass just became more awesome in the G2 books. Unsuprisingly Grimlock got his share of the limelight. But the character who shined the most, in my opnion, was Megatron. In G1 for both the US and the UK comics , poor Megatron kept getting the shaft, going missing on multiple occassions for extended periods of time, reappearing only to be swiftly defeated yet again. In G2 no longer was he a wuss, He was ruthless, kicking ass and taking names, cracking wise as he did so. Not to mention displaying a level of competency he never had before. After swiftly wresting the reigns of Decepticon leadership back, he led the decepticons on a rather efficent and thought-out campaign to obtain strategic resources (to be honest, plot devices) to aid the Decepticon war effort, only to be stopped by the unexpected threat of the 2nd Generation Decepticons. He may have taken a big licking fron Jhiaxus, but still kept on ticking. He even wisely swallowed his pride to enter an alliance with Autobots against this greater threat. With his rather impressive performance as Decepticon leader, I find G2 Megatron to be one of my favourite Megatron incarnations.

Back on topic, If G2 had been written at a different time, it would have been a whole lot different I feel. As I said, the G2 comics were evocative of the phase that US comics were going through at that time. If it was written earlier, we'd just have seen something rather close to the old G1 comics. If it was written today, I can im agine it being very close to IDW's current approach. It is not too much of a stretch imagining Bludgeon's decepticons using the "cold war" approach that is being used in the current IDW comicws.

7. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I liked G2. I remember collecting them but not reading them until I had all 12. Then I read them all in one day. It was an exciting story. I agree that Megatron was one of the highlights.

But it really all came and went just so quickly. Like I said, much as I love TFs, I didn't jump in and devour every issue as it came out like with G1. Maybe because I didn't want to get my hopes up again about a long lasting comic only to have it dashed. Maybe because I was deep into other fandoms at the time. Not that I would even forget Transformers. But it felt like some last hurrah of something once great rather than a rebirth of something new like Beast Wars proved to be.

I don't know if that makes any sense. But G2 came along at a time that felt like you had just said goodbye to G1 and the end of an era but at the same time it hadn't been gone long enough for you to miss it terribly either. And no new cartoon also drove home the temporary nature of G2 it seemed. I wish G2 could have lasted longer, but the new comics were the only thing I really got involved with about it.

8. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

If only the G2 cartoon could of had the quality of the comic...

9. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

read most of g2,but still can't find all 12 issues.
    that's probably the problem:availibility,especially now.
    i liked what i did find though.my only complaints were the unfinished story and
    the inconsistencies between the 2 artists(yaniger at first,then galan later).

10. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Never really liked G2. Art was horrible compared to the G1 comic & it seemed like all they wanted to do is wipe out/kill G1 characters. Didn't care for the story either. I have them all but probably won't reread them anytime soon.

11. Screambug

Screambug King of Transformers

It was a brilliant story - even deep and very dark in some places (the grimness and even cruelty displayed on otherwise friendly-looking faces of Autobots were really disconcerting, frank to say.)

The highlights of that story was when Starscream took over Matrix and turned into a GIGANTIC, tentacle-entangled monster (still CAN'T get over it!) and Megatron suddenly showing his "good" side when he was forced to pair with Optimus Prime to beat Warworld Starscream down.

It is obviously not kiddie stuff, especially when swarms of mysterious "bugs" threaten to EAT Transformers like fresh meat!:eek: 

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    the g2 comic had the best work ever by geoff. startscream + warworld. nuff said.

13. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Still don't like G2. Some of my favorite characters died, most noteably FM & Spike. The death toll was way over the top. I for one thought the writing was poor. Imagine Mirage going up agaisnt a horde of the Newer Decepticons, without first going invisible. That and not being 100% sure of the war to begin with. Or Red Alert not being able to detect thousands of Decepticons before leaving the ship. As for FM, making him the same size as Megatron and a shuttle blast killing the. up to that point, most powerful Transformer ever built. I still think S.Furman killed Max because he wasn't released in the U.K. Well, at least F.Max is alive and well in the Japanese continuity. I'm glad the slaughter only lasted 12 issues. That period I wrote the most negative snail mail to Marvel since G1 issue one. Before G2, I actually had four letters published. One of those issues had Fortress Maximus on the cover. The issue when Spike frist teamed up with Max.

14. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    I still heart G2.

IF they ever get the chance, I'd be down with a comic accurate Jhiaxus 6" TF figure.

15. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

G2 was the first and probably last time that Transformers finally stopped telling us about this relentless conflict between huge robot armies and actually depicted it in all its grim detail.

Fair enougth if some people don't like change or seeing thier favorite characters suffer, but there is more then enougth safe and inoffensive material for those folks and G2 should be given all the credit it is due for tearing up what little was left of the rulebook and giving us some actual war in a franchise that is supposed to be about warring robots.

Its certainly not perfect, but its great for what it is and its definatly one of the most worthwhile adverts that those damn toys have spawned.

16. Wolf Boy

Wolf Boy Ghost of Impactor

COBRAAAAAAAAAA!

Does anyone besides me think its cool to finally have a GI Joe tie-in that occurs in BOTH the US and UK continuities??

I could've sworn Spike died at the end of G-1. Huh. Better go back and re-read.

I liked G-2. BTW, Fort Max was smaller sometimes in G-1 also. He was the same size as Galvatron in "Time Wars." Or maybe Galvatron grew. That pesky mass displacement again ...

17. Avon

Avon Well-Known Member

I was never much into the G2 comics. I do like them, but the art (apart from the brief spots from Senior) really turned me off, and I didnt really like the concept much. As someone mentioned the 'G2' designs seemed pretty uninspired, and I suppose I didnt like that the big new threat semed pretty arbitrary.

Having said that, it was a nice change of pace from the G1 comics, and pretty gritty. It had plenty of cool moments, and I appreciate that it tried to do something different, especially since so many transformers comics since then have seemed like rehashes in one way or another.

18. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a long-standing nerdcrush on Dr. Biggles-Jones

G2 was great.

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I liked G2 so muich that I set my animation after it.

20. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    Two of my favorite TF figures are from the G2-era, the green tank form of Megatron & the bright-camo Bruticus!

As for the comic, I missed out on it as I wasn't a comic book fan until many years later, but I've read them on my computer (someone digitized the comics a while back, so they're probably still floating around the internet somewhere). I liked the artwork and story, but it's a shame it didn't last longer than it did...

OP Prime said he'd picked it up as a TPB, is it still available to purchase? How much would it cost to pick up that or the individual books?