What if G1 Movie and season 3 of G1 took place in ACTUAL 2005

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

2. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

Just because it was never shown doesn't mean it wasn't possible. Besides we see other characters who weren't on board the Ark when it crashed get Earth modes, and Decepticons who don't even have access to Teletran 1 after that first episode (though we do see a Decepticon equivilent in at least one episode, not the scanner part but they have their own computer which theoretically should have it's own scanner) are able to get Earth modes. Not only that but why would they design it to only work once, that makes no practicle sense even by G1 standards. They must have been using it off screen or other similar external scanners for all the Earth mode non-Ark crew. It's just simple deductive reasoning. Granted it's an 80's cartoon that constantly broke it's own rules but there's nothing conflicting with the idea that they have external scanners that could change their alt modes any time they want. It just seems like they choose not to, Jazz for example is known to like his Earth car mode. I think the closest modern version would be a NASCAR but they have so many adds on them now days I don't think Jazz would ever update his vehicle mode.

3. JLvatron

JLvatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This aspect wasn't used that often in the cartoon, but the marketing of the franchise certainly did, "Robots in Disguise".

I like Trailbreaker's follow up line, though, "Besides, it sure beats walking!"
    This shows it was also for mobility, which was a big factor in the show.

4. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

Sure anything is possible and there's nothing said to indicate it was impossible, but if they had the ability you think ithey would be a reason to have done it at least once

In fact there is at least one episode in which scanning new forms would have actually made things easier and that's the one where the autobots use make up and paint To look like this at the decepticons

As to the characters you claim we're not on the ark, we never see it but the story given in one episode claims that they were on the ark when it crashed with the other characters

And I may not have been an issue of designing the computer only complete the task once it may be that it can only be done once to a characters body

5. SaberPrime

They wouldn't need to scan new alt modes to pose as the Stunt icons. They already had the same vehicle modes which is the whole reason those five were chosen. Really their robot modes are what needed to be changed and I have no idea how they did that with paint.

As to the characters that weren't on the Ark, no one who was introduced after the pilot was ever said to be on board. Though to be fair it was never explained where they came from. They just show up suddenly out of no where.

Anyway, this is getting off topic. The main focus is suppose to be 2005 versions of the Transformers vehicles not a debate on if they can scan new salt modes more than once.

6. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

That's just not the true
    They had similar vehicle modes but not exactly the same

Optimus was Motermaster
    Optimus transformed into a White (name not its color) Freightliner WFT-8664T cabover semi-trailer truck
    Motormaster transforms into a Kenworth K100 Aerodyne sleeper truck

Two very different trucks

Mirage pretended to be Dragstrip
    Mirage was a F-1 Ligier JS11 racer.... with 4 tires
    Dragstrip transforms into a Tyrrell P34, a 6 Wheeler race car.

Windcharger pretens to be Wildrider
    Windcharger transforms into a Pontiac Firebird Trans Am sports car with a T top roof
    Wildrider transforms Ferrari 308 GTB sports car with a regular roof

Two very different cars

Jazz disguised himself as Deadend
    Jazz transforms into Porsche 935/76 racing car lo Circuit.
    Deadend also transformed into a Porsche , but it was a 928.

Sideswipe was Breakdown
    They both transform into Lamborghini Countachs but might be of different model lines

Only one of those matches were the same the rest were all very different
    that's another problem
    You are incorrect

In the episodes "desertion of the Dinobot's" many of the season two characters were affected by the damage of the missing Cybertonium (if I spelled that right).....characters like a preceptor blaster and many more

Preceptor stated that all the robots affected were affected because they had been on earth and exposed to earths atmosphere for 4 million years

That means they all crash land with the season one characters

Unless you want to throw in some BS and claimmaybe another ship crash landed on earth at about the same time:p 

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I prefer the second reason.
    The concept of Robots in Disguise is too limiting to the franchise if this means we only get earth altmodes.
    I prefer Cybertronian modes to earth modes, cause they are more creative.
    I prefer to think they transform because their altmodes gives them certain advantages as to speed (cars and jets) close combat (beastmodes) fire power (military vehicles) etc...

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    But is it ever a disguise, though? Does he use his shrink powers to hide out in a laboratory?

Well, discussions can evolve and grow as different contributors add different viewpoints to the debate. In the news thread, for example, a recent topic about the cancellation of the TAAO comic evolved into a general discussion about IDW's current strategy. An OP doesn't "own" a thread, threads can expand and take on a life of their own.

This particular topic is obviously going to come down to individual opinions - do the original Ark Transformers have the ability to scan other vehicle modes? (Maybe, but there's no evidence of that.) Are Hot Rod and company supposed to be futuristic Earth vehicles or Cybertronian vehicles? (It's not clear cut.) Are the Transformers' alt-modes primarily for camouflage purposes? (Perhaps, but on-screen the disguise aspect is underplayed.) Do the Autobots of 2005 even need to disguise themselves as comtemporary vehicles any more, now they live amongst us as comrades and friends? (Arguable.)

9. Altered Prime

:thumb 
    no I don't believe they did with him but to tell the truth didn't really put him in any of those kind of stories we are hiding in anyway was I need

Not that it really matters as I said before I have a quite a few characters that could never hope to hide at all
    :thumb 
    since things turned out different in the real world we as fans can retro actively believe that those vehicle modes were cybertronian

But as to what they were supposed to be ......it is clear cut, they were coming up with their own ideas on the what futuristic earth cars might look like

The same thing can be done with the reasons for having a alt mode, since it was rarely depicted as being for disguise we as fans can' retro activily believe any number of different reasons why it was a useful ability

But originally it was developed primarily for camouflage purposes

And based by on their original needs and reasons to develop the ability to begin with, to hide from the enemy,the Autobots of 2005 would still be smart to utilize the ability as often as possible

10. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    If season 3 were to realistically depict the year 2005/2006, the Soviet Union wouldn't exist anymore, there would be no French rebels fighting the Dutch, and Daniel Witwicky wouldn't be wearing such a ridiculous disco suit.

11. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Even if we try to rationalise things, its a fact that Autobots did share tech with humans, so the evolution of humanity both technologically and scocially would take a divergent path. Just think for a minute: In the Toonverse from 1984 to 2005 Mankind evolved its tech from a slightly shouped up 84s tech (as depicted in the toon) to been able to colonise and terraform even outside the solarsystem and having a space force of somekind. So funky disco suits is not out of the question.

That said regarding their alt modes: It is my belief that the actual appereance of the mode doesnt so much as reflect the actual abilities of the Transformer. We had a discussion on this on another thread and we deducted that in G1 at least their internal workings dont change at all merely adopting the most suited form externaly and modifying it to accomodate the Transformers abilities. Therefore it would seem superflows for a carbot to change its model type each time a new Earth car model that meets its creteria is met, as longs as its previous one can accomodate its needs (I can see Tracks doing that for vanity purposes though). Remember the concept or "Robots in disquise" was thrown out the window long ago.

12. Altered Prime

i don't recall any human colonies or terraforming worlds in the toon

Source?

13. pilot00

The dialogue from the Episode Money is Everything, suggests that Dirk hails from Epsilon Ariadni. Also they explicitely state the "Terraformed moons of Jupiter" and when they arrive there, there are plants and breathable atmosphere.

14. Altered Prime

Breathable atmosphere?
    If that was the case why did Marria need to keep her helmet on?

And Dirk may have just lived on the planet, was there mention of a colony

15. pilot00

She was not wearing a helmet on the planet. You mistake it for Io from Five Faces of Darkness.

He was a trader from there, so presumably yes. How can you live on a foreign planet if there is no colony?

16. Altered Prime

well I didn't really remember Jupiter ever been mentioned so I looked it up on tfwiki, according to the info there Jupiter was only mentioned in five places of darkness part three

If you have some other mention please bring it up
    no disrespect but that doesn't even seem like a logical question to ask

Have you never watched other sci-fi shows it's not unheard of for a solitary alien to take up residence on foreign worlds

17. pilot00

Sorry for saying this bluntly but you are a pain in the rear sometimes :lolol 

When Nosecone asks Dirk why he thinks he was attacked, he points out that it might have something to do with him coming across a Quintesson base on the terraformed moons of Saturn (yeah I messed the planets) see the episode.

Then the Technobots merge and calculate the probabilities and their conclussion is to repair his ship, pay him and then meet at six am to go to Saturn.

No offence taken, I know your....intricacies shall we say? :lol 
    Honestly at the time of typing it didnt cross my mind. But even if he just lives there and it isnt a colony perse, we are talking about another system other than SOL. The tech to do so with what appears to be conventional means in toon, is light years (pun intended) ahead of real time 2005.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  18. SaberPrime

I'm glad you pointed out white was part of the name not the color otherwise I would of thought you got him confused with Magnus. Anyway, yeah it's a different model but they're more alike than the robot modes. And except for the extra Windows on Motormasters I'd be hard pressed to tell any of them apart in vehicle mode.

As for the stuff you mention with Percepter, don't rremember any of that... to be honest, I don't even really remember seeing him till the Movie after all the Medics got killed off. Anyway, it is possible. The Insecticons had their own ship which the Decepticons found and Megatron mentioned how they went missing centuries ago. SStars cream came to Earth once before with Sky fire and he was presumably trapped in ice on Earth even before the Ark crashed there. So there's no reason to assume all the characters were on the Ark when we know for a fact at least a few of them were not.

True but off topic arguing can also lead to threads being locked or deleted and this whole debate sounds like it should just get it's own thread before it derails this one.

19. Altered Prime

My wife told me the same thing all the time
    ok tfwiki says it was Titan

What if you recall some of season two episode titan already had an atmosphere and had an alien race living on

So if it was terraformed it wasn't by human

Very true

20. pilot00

I was joking, I know what to expect from you, we have reached a mutual understanding all this time exchanging opinions no?

Τhe dialogue on the episode says not the name of the moon but only "one the the terraformed moons (plural) of Saturn". If it was Titan(no mention on this episode) there are two problems: Where are the Titans, where are the lightning lava flows and perpetual darkness, and how the heck did a bunch of primitives terraformed a planetoid?