What if G1 Movie and season 3 of G1 took place in ACTUAL 2005

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

could have been on earth earlier,yes
    you can certainly use that kind of thinking retroactively now but that was not the case in the 80s

There's enough evidence to show him some of the cars and vehicles that inspired some of the looks of the vehicle so that film and it does seem to be that they were thinking of what future cars would look like
    I said it a few times now I'll say it again they were not disguising themselves from humans

They had been disguising themselves for more than 9 million years so yes they would still need to disguise themselves into thousand five
    is your answer would be that they did not seem to have the ability to just scan newer vehicles

Remember aside from the characters are reformated in the movie by higher powers, we never saw any evidence of transformers getting new bodies without mechanical hard work being done on them

2. Altered Prime

. And again they were never hiding from humans

They have been discussing them sells for over 9 million years

Whatever logical reason they came up with those guys left to begin with would have still been in play during the events of Season 3

At least while on earth

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

It doesn't matter whether they're hiding from humans or Decepticons if they live in Autobot City. Everything in the whole city would be a target. In fact, we saw an actual attack on Autobot City during the movie. Nobody hid.

4. Altered Prime

Pretty much all right

However.......
    He was wrong there because he spoke in absolutes as if he could prove for a fact that Magness was on earth earlier

5. Altered Prime

That would be a good point if it wasn't for the fact that when the decepticons are concerned everything on earth is potentially a target

The bottom line is given that the cons have to sometimes pick their targets during an attack or a war, hiding amongst humans vehicles is still a useful ability and whould still have been considered tactically sound

6. flamepanther

It seems highly unlikely that they would systematically blow up every vehicle on the planet, and in three seasons they never tried it. But in one city populated exclusively by Autobots and their friends? Yeah, they'd do that. And when we see the attack during the movie, it does in fact appear pretty much indiscriminate.

And did we see any Autobots actually do that during the movie or season 3? Nope.

7. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Really? Sleek, futuristic-looking vehicles? When you compare their alt modes with that of Cybertronian Jazz, Bumblebee, U-Haul bot etc., they really don't look out of place.

Besides which, Soundwave turns into a lamp-post, and Laserbeak turns into an alien bird thing, so there really don't seem to be any hard and fast rules as to what Cybertronian alt modes should and shouldn't look like.

RE: Ultra Magnus - as far as I know, his alt mode doesn't conform to any known model of car carrier - it's just as kooky and 'alien' as Springer or Wheelie. I mean, it has rockets and stuff. And yeah, whilst the toy had a cab that turned into a proper Freightliner, the cartoon model was just generic enough (and weird enough - red bumper, anyone?) not to conform with any real world cab. So yeah, there's no reason why cartoon Ultra Magnus needs to have arrived on Earth in the 80s, when his alt mode doesn't correspond to an 80s car carrier.

And another thing: it's quite clear that in the future, a lot of Transformers have a 'thing' for retro designs. The Throttlebots, Battlechargers, Octane and third year minibots don't show up until 2006 and yet have 80s vehicle modes. Ditto the newer cassettes. If anything, Hot Rod and the movie guys are the exceptions, rather than the rule. I think I'm right in saying that they're the ONLY alien alt modes we get until the Technobots are introduced in the second half of season 3?

TL;DR

- Hot Rod and company could well be Cybertronian, not future-Earth designs.

- Transformers in the Sunbow continuity clearly have a love for 80s alt modes, even in 2006 (tellingly Goldbug keeps his 70s VW mode, even when his robot mode is considerably revamped).

So yeah, I don't think that the alt modes of the 2005 movie would change at all, even with the benefit of hindsight.

8. Altered Prime

that's why I said "potentially" ,and by the way thanks for proving my point

Systematically blowing up every vehicle even at all about city would be highly unlikely, why waste your energy and your weapons on a vehicle I can't fight back

That would certainly be the thinking the bots would have, so disguising themselves would still be a pretty smart thing to do

Not exclusively they had human workers in those workers would use vehicles to get to the job

almost every attack we ever saw in the show is pretty indiscriminate for the most part
    did we ever really see a good example of the autobots disguising themselves as human vehicles throughout The entire series? Nope

Truth is the show never really did a good job of depicting the idea of the disguising themselfs very well, but that doesn't really affect the logic behind the idea nor that it was a factor in the logic of the universe

technically speaking the ability to hide amongst the human vehicles is still a sound tactic and would have been employed by the auto bots that had been doing so for over 9 million years

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  9. flamepanther

Except that they did. We saw them attack anything and everything, including buildings. The goal was pretty clearly to obliterate everything.

10. Altered Prime

YEP

They looked nothing left key the cyberTron vehicles we saw in "more then meets the eye", or the ones seen in any flashback or even the female autobots

When you compare their alt modes with that of Cybertronian Jazz, Bumblebee, Wheeljack, the seekers and even U-Haul bot, they really don't look inline at all

I never said they were on the heart rules i just don't feel like they look anything like those vehicles especially the ones we see in the first episode.....they had no wheels at all

I kind of felt someway was more of a communications tower
    I actually saw a white cab car Carrier recently with a redbumper but it also had an auto bot sticker on it so I'm pretty sure the guy had it modified for fun
    Very good point

11. Altered Prime

yes because they launched a full-scale attack on the city something that was not expected

But that wouldn't be what the auto bots would be expected on a regular basis, so again hiding amongst humans vehicles would still be a very smart thing to do

12. Ryan F

News Credits:
    And therein lies the rub.

In the cartoon show, the alt modes weren't really used for disguise (the only times I can remember it happening involved Soundwave and his tapes).

Megatron turned into a gun - not to hide - but to shoot stuff. Autobots turned into cars because it beat walking, and besides which they got to participate in races and stuff. In the Movie, the Dinobots specifically turn into dinosaurs for attack purposes, not because they're hiding from Devastator.

In short, the second modes are almost invariably used for practical reasons - attack, defence, transportation - rather than for reasons of camouflage.

The Transformers of the cartoon are celebrities. Rodimus is personal chums with the Prime Minister of Japan; Megatron is a known villain.

So when Hot Rod chooses his alt mode, we can be sure that it's not for reasons of disguise. Wheelie, especially, has to be an alien vehicle because he never even sets foot on Earth until after the movie. Ditto Sandstorm's kinda-custom vehicle modes, as he was in Paradron self-exile for millennia.

So yeah, there's no real reason why Hot Rod has to assume an Earth vehicle form, let alone a real-world sports car from 2005, because there's literally zero evidence that he ever uses his alt mode for disguise purposes.

PS: Not cartoon canon I know, but the creators of the Marvel comics obviously assumed that the Movie bots' vehicle modes were Cybertronian, rather than future-Earth. Beachcomber's Cybertronian alt mode in The Smelting Pool/The Bridge To Nowhere is quite clearly based on Kup's vehicle mode.

13. Altered Prime

There are other examples but that's not really the point

I don't see a "rub" here, there's a lot the show did badly, that doesn't effect the basic logic behind the reason they had developed the ability to disguise themselfs

Megatron Did use his gun to hide once Autobots have used their car modes to hide a few times
    Even the decepticons used their altmodes to hide at times

Characters the Dinobots and others never really fitted into that issue, but that's besides the point

The fact that some of them could never hope to hide doesn't mean that all of them would abandon the practice after doing so for so long.In short, sure their second modes are also used for reasons like attack, defence, transportation, but to hide themselfs from enemy attacks would still be a very practible use and still a useful ability

So when Hot Rod choose, or was givin, his alt mode, we can be sure that disguise would still have been a reasonable consideration

And you can believe Wheelie is an alien vehicle , but that would only be an in the story reason.The point is the toy was designed The same way the other ones were

As for him never setting foot on earth we don't really know that because nothing was mentioned at all about his history and if you look at the writers backstory,then we got to figure out if his parents were ever on earth, and yes I said parents

Sandstorm wasn't in the movie and came for a colony world

So yeah, there's very good reason why Hot Rod may have assumed an Earth vehicle , because whiles there's not much, there is indeed evidence that they uses alt mode for disguise purposes
    I'm not so sure about that similar yes but that depends on when the book was being drawn and window designs for the movie characters were first made

14. Markdelg

Markdelg Well-Known Member

Spike: "Why do you transform into cars and things?"

Trailbreaker: "Simple. Disguise."

-More Than Meets the Eye, Pt. 2

15. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

They were never really in disguise though cause they revealed themselves in the pilot and even though they had tech like holographic drivers they were never used again after the pilot. Other characters who weren't even on the ark got Earth modes which were pointless as disguises as everyone on Earth already knew about them by that point. Remember this is G1 not Prime, they don't really bother trying to hide, they just seem to take Earth modes because they like the look.

Nope. I never said anything about having built in scanners. They do still have access to external scanners like Teletran 1. Scanning new alternate modes was always possible, it's just a little more difficult than scanning a newer model as you're driving down the road.

Ultra Magnus is clearly an Earth truck, he's litter ally just a repaint of Optimus. The trailer might be somewhat fictionalized because I don't think it could transform if it looked like a real trailer but the truck itself is the same as Optimus.

16. Altered Prime

Thank you very much sir

I salute you:thumb :thumb 

17. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

Mr. saber, first let me say I really like the premise of this topic, I just wish I had a more worthwhile contribution but I am not a person who is a fan of vehicles of any type so I know very little in the ways of suggesting what kind of a vehicle a character may have been

But still I think it's an interesting topic
    well as it's been said before here by other members, they weren't hiding from humans.

Although there are a few examples of them hiding from humans, The main purpose of the earth molds were to hide from the bad guys
    The issue is that Teleetran one was never used or shown to have the ability to change alt modes after the first scanning.

I guess it's possible it could continue to update character alternate modes , but it's also it will be possible that it was only able to do so once per character

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  18. Ryan F

News Credits:
    Well, disguise may well have been the original aim when the Transformers gained that ability on Cybertron, but transformation is rarely used for that purpose in the cartoons.

One more example I thought of: when Megatron/Soundwave transform into alt mode, they always shrink.

Preceptor? No, he never does. His alt mode is that of a giant microscope. He uses it to get around (in Child's Play it acts as a car/sized vehicle mode as he shuffles around on his tank treads), and to scan stuff (like in his first movie scene). If Perceptor was really trying to disguise himself, why does he never shrink?

19. Markdelg

Markdelg Well-Known Member

He does shrink.

http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/b/bb/DinobotIsland2-Perceptor.jpg

20. Altered Prime

it's still clearly stated
    actually there's at least one example of soundwave not shrinking
    wrong

And one of his earliest appearances as he introduces himself to Spike & Chip he shrinks down to a human size microscope
    Here's a link to a pic
    perceptor g1 and chip - Google Search:

I do believe there's at least 1 example of him shrinking to a microscope That a robot could use

So Preceptor Had the ability to disguise himself by shrinking