What if DOTM retcons ROTF?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Rogzilla, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is a thought I've been having lately.

What if DOTM treats ROTF the same way as, say, Superman Returns treated the original series or The Incredible Hulk treated Hulk or even how The Wolverine will be treating X-Men Origins: Wolverine. That is to say, while acknowledging that the events happened, they may not have happened exactly the same way that was previously presented to us. Details will be tweaked, characters may be altered, so on and so forth.

Would you guys like it? Would you be pissed at them ignoring the continuity?

Personally, I'd like it. I think Revenge of the Fallen had a solid, straight forward story, but it got lost in the rush to get a script finished and the film shot. If they were able to retcon a few things to make Dark of the Moon a better film by ignoring aspects that made the film a bit weaker, I'd be really happy.

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    If anything, DOTM retconning ROTF might make up for the awfulness that was the latter film. Almost.

3. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

IMO, movies like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings had the same characters and each of the 3 movies lead into the other. As one complete story split up into 3 individual parts.

Thats the standard of a modern movie trilogy...

And its up to GOOD writing to not only explain the plot faults from ROTF but cap it all off with a climactic ending.

If they flub off established continuity, thats just plain lazy.

We all know the story in the first two film. Just have some creative writers stich them all together...

Dont make me call George Lucas! Ha!

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Maybe they could make Skids and Mudflap less of a minstrel show, pretend that dumb shit never happened.

5. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    o_O  George Lucas is almost as bad a story teller as Michael Bay (and much more racist, I'm looking at you Trade Federation, Watto and Gungans, just to name a few!) As much as I CAN enjoy Star Wars, like Transformers, I acknowledge that they are pretty dumb. Naboo? Really? That's what you're calling the planet? Was Juplanononow taken?

In general, I agree with you though. However, Transformers wasn't being thought up as a trilogy, but as the potential start of a new franchise. They didn't know how many films they were going to make, so they've focused on one film at a time. They never considered a larger story. To try now to tie it back into a single story, to make this film act 3 just wouldn't work. Maybe if ROTF ended with a cliffhanger, but it didn't. It was a self contained story. While this may be a trilogy, I can't see them making it a single story.

Kind of what I'm thinking. It was Nelson's talk of the Twins not being in it and his somewhat self contradicting statements that made me think that. Honestly, I think they have been straight cut out of the film, but if they are in it, they will probably be much more toned down.

6. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Honestly, the damage is done. The problems of ROTF are still on the public's mind.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Continuity has never seemed like a big thing for the films. Even the same movie you can have something like Sam spot Barricade only for him to not be seen again. Plus I can't remember which interview it was in but at least at one point Bay was wanting to make them stand alone films so that you didn't have to see the last film to make the current film work.

Still it seems like they would have their work cut out for them to correct or gloss over all the bad ideas from Revenge of the Fallen to get back to something a bit closer to the first film.

8. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    The incredible hulk never retconned The original Hulk, Since incredible hulk si a reboot!

Aslo i dont think dotm will retcon ROTF, otherwise then why we sitll have sideswipe and wheelie? (and the twins if What nelson says is a Lie)

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Where would ROTF fit on a list that includes the uprisings in the Middle East and the global economy?

10. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    If DOTM would retcon ROTF, I would be okay with it as long as the basic story happened. If, for example, change the fact that Optimus died at Megatron's hands, and the Matrix brought him back, ( which was a huge chunk of the ROTF story) and act like it never happened, I'd be pissed, but I'd see it as an "alternative" universe for the movies.

11. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    The fandom already has a hard enough time knowing what a plot hole is, this would just set them back even further.

12. Barricade24

Barricade24 Decepticop Artist

News Credits:
    Well I don't know about that. Star Wars is a legend I've been a fan with it way longer I have been with Transformers.

George Lucas did well on star wars. But he ruinied Indiana Jones 4 with the alien thing.

13. Splintershot

Splintershot Predacon?? ... Awesome

As... appropriate... as it would be to ignore everything that happened in ROTF, I doubt that it will be forgotten (unfortunately). Though, there are rumors from Nelson going on that Mudflap and Skids will be cut from the film unexplained *rolls his eyes*.

14. eagc7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Aslo if DOTM Retcons ROTF, Why is Megs still Alive and why screamer still have his tatoos?

15. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    What exactly are you talking about? (This is NOT being said in a snarky tone, believe it or not. I'm actually just simply inquiring on what you were referring to. :)  )

But I do remember that whole "Bay said they were stand alone stories"-thing that you mentioned. Of course, I can't remember where I heard it, but I do recall it.

Oh, you know, probably somewhere between "not at all" and "not in the friggin' slightest". ;)  Yeah really. Yes, RotF may have left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths, but I still know a lot of people who are hyped about DotM, or *gasp* ENJOYED RotF enough to want to see a third film. Myself included. I really don't think that the subpar-ness of a smash blockbuster hit from two years ago weighs that heavily on people's minds. They'll watch the trailers, say that it looks cool, looks awesome, looks dumb or maybe that they don't want to see it, but whatever. It'll be big. Not necessarily 'well made', but HUGE. :bay 

"Plot" who know? :p 

As for the actual film itself, I don't know if I'd want a complete "retcon", per se, but I wouldn't complain if they tried to do things that would make up for the shortcomings of RotF. Little things like cutting the lame humour, toning down The Twins, making it more about the robots, etc.. You know, not outright dismissing ideas, characters, and concepts in the previous films, but simply doing what they can to make up some things. :) 

16. Awesomus Prime

Awesomus Prime I rise, you fall.

News Credits:
    In TF1, seconds before Optimus fights Bonecrusher on the highway, Sam spots Barricade and says "Hey, look! It's that same cop!". Barricade then disappeared for the rest of the movie.
    ----------------------------
    As far as retconning ROTF is concerned, DOTM doesn't really have to. The story was self-contained. They can probably just get away with not mentioning anything from it, and the movie would make complete sense. The only plot element that really seems to stick out is the existence of NEST, and they weren't even really touched on in ROTF anyway.

It's like the Indiana Jones series. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was excellent, and didn't mention Temple of Doom at all.

17. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Oh, on the highway. Yes, that. I thought he was talking about Sam's first encounter with Barricade (after the bike chase-scene), and that's why I was confused. Thanks for that. :) 

Very good analogy using Indiana Jones, by the way. :thumbs2: 

18. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    I don't mean they erase it but just ignore the dumber parts.

And does ROTF itself ever really address Starscream's tattoos?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  19. eagc7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    ah. i get it now

20. jru42287

jru42287 With great power...

News Credits:
    It would kind of be stupid for them to. It's a trilogy. With the Wolverine movies, aside from a few set pieces that were a little different from X2, it didn't really change the story at all. Incredible Hulk was technically a complete reboot of the Hulk franchise, hence the different actors/actresses in all the parts. Superman Returns was more tricky. This one was basically just a sequel to the first two Superman movies (b/c the 3rd and 4th were utter crap sandwiches from what I've heard). The only reason it had new actors playing the parts is because there was a 20 something years difference from the originals, so all the original actors had aged too much (and Chris Reeve had a pretty bad case of not walking anymore). Otherwise, it was a sequel, right down to the reuse to John Williams's score.

So, long story short, I very highly doubt this will be a retcon. I mean, we already know that Megs is hiding his face in shame after having it blown to hell by OP, so I'd say that's pretty decent continuity. And frankly, if they did do this, I don't think I'd be happy. It's already there, and we know it as such, whether we hate it or not. No sense trying to change the past, so long as they fix the future.