What if Bay's version was G1?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

What I mean is, what if Bay's version of Transformers was the original one. Would the series be as popular as it is thanks to G1?

2. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    You mean if Transformers started off as a live action film? I'm not sure, it would still be popular, but I think that it woulsn't be as popular now.

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I doubt I would've ended up a TF fan had that been the case. Bay's version is nothing compared to the richness of the G1 comics. Can't say I can speak for the rest of the world, though.

4. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

You mean what if movies came before G1?

I think the sentiment towards the movies would be the same in that case as well. The movies simply do not have the same depth and power to suck kids in, as much as G1 had. I know this sounds crazy, but G1 apart from all the fighting and explosions it had, also had spirit and character. Every major G1 character was instantly likable with quirks and whatnot. TFs in the movies were simply huge props with no depth what so ever. I loved BB in G1 because although small and weak he was also courageous and simply portraited as a bot every kid would like to be friends with. I loved Cliffjumper because of his brashness and "action before thought" attitude. I digged Prowl with his "I've got plan, but do you have the ball bearings for it?". Optimus in G1 wasn't a monolog spewing preacher, but a real war hardened leader.

5. Anthony _aggro

Anthony _aggro Platypus prime

Ebay:
    Agreed.

6. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

No. Would it be a hit movie? Yeah for sure. But the scripts are terrible. It's a summer blockbuster. I don't see it having any more following than a big action film. What makes G1 so lasting is the Tech specs, marvel comics and cartoon together.
    Maybe.. if people saw the films and did like Star Wars or Alien and made comics ect to expand the universe then maybe. But I don't think the films are strong enough.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    This is gonna be one of those "whoa man, mindfuck" threads, ain't it?

So if I understand this correctly, what you're asking is would TFs be as popular as it is now if the movies were much more like the original cartoon?

Deffinately would be popular, but as popular? I wonder. A lot of TFs popularity has to do with the diversity of the brand. If the movies were just like what had come before asthetically, there wouldn't have been a need for Animated, and so on. Thus I don't think it would've reached out to have quite as large a demographic it has now. I believe Transformers strength lies it it's constant reimagining and different styles based on the same core concepts. It's really a unigue thing, this brand.

Or are you saying what if G1 was more stylistically closer to what the movies are? If so, I think it would've been earth-shatteringly cool back then with as complex designs and violence-laden action on top of the living robots that turn into vehicles thing. Damn, that would've broke the 80's and started the 90's early. :rock 

8. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

I think the op is asking if the movies were not based on anything and just the 1st media for Transformers in 25 yrs would Transformers be as popular as they are now.

unless I miss understand. That is what my answer is based on.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I couldn't tell, so I answered in both ways I could think of.

10. Tigertrack

What I'm trying to ask is this. If we didn't have G1 and all the following cartoon series after that. And if we were only just recently introduced to the Transformers world from the Bay movies, would they be as popular today?

What if we had absolutely no knowledge of the Transformers till Michale Bays very first movie in '07?

11. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

If Michael Bay's Transformers movies were the first, I don't think the franchise would be as popular today as it was with G1 being the start of it all and such. Sure, the movies would get some fans, but probably not nearly as many fans as there are today.

12. Tigertrack

Lets ignore the obvious 25 year span that G1 has enjoyed.
    Only stating if the Bay movies were the first introduction...................................

13. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I get what you're asking Tigertrack..but if Transformers the movie was all the fan base would have had to go on, I'd say we'd think it was a cool movie, with the CGI and all, but without a strong background story, a well developed history, then that's all you'd have..a really neat GCI movie. So, my answer, NO, it wouldn't have had the following it does if the franchise is based solely on one movie.

Now, IF, the writers and story developers had jumped on board and started a storyboard with a beginning for the Transformers, began writing the Graphic Novels that would bring to life and continue their journey, a "TF franchise" could have been developed and continued to bring fans to the fold. Just my humble.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    So if the bay movies were frame for frame introduced in 1984? Near perfect celluloid images of giant mechanical beings ruining the shit out of each other while the people who aree adults now were still kids? Say what you will about the designs and plot and whatever, the fandom would be gigantic and infinitely more rabid today if the bar had been set by Optimus Prime decaptitating Bonecrusher using special effects 25 years ahead of their time.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  15. convoymagnus

convoymagnus Yeshua Is Mashiach.

Ebay:
    I was hooked onto transformers because in the 80's there was lot of programs with piloted mecha and the transformers even though they weren't piloted mecha were earth common vehicles and transformed into robots that were so similar to those contemporaneous mecha that had the magic to capture my interest, something GOBOTS did not do, I mean they were cool vehicles too but their robot form was awful and I think that is the same thing g1 has over bay's version. So IMO I do not think bay's version would as successful as g1 has been, even if it was the original story.

16. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Since this isn't the case, this is beyond speculation for myself to answer.

17. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    If the first movie in 2007 was the first introduction of Transformers -

We'd probably regard TFTM and ROTF as those "giant robot" movies. Without the rich history behind them the DVD's would be shelfwarming Wal-Mart instead of Tuner Mudflap.

18. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Banned

I don't know, shit, what do you want? A two page essay on it? It would be what it would be, that's that.

19. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is assuming that Michael Bay and the others weren't contracted to do the Gobots live-action movie.

20. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Then it would be a box office smash and no one would really care about it's mythology and backstory except for a very small group of hardcore explosion geeks. Also there'd be a lot of people wondering if Go-Bots/Machine Robo is going to sue him for ripping off their story.

The toys would also suck because they wouldn't be designed by engineers with 30+ years of transforming engineering experience and would instead be like SWTF and Marvel Crossover TF's.