what i disliked about animated...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ryan.j, Dec 23, 2009.

1. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

I was in the process of posting something slightly more on-topic in the tfa thread when I was locked out of it, so rather than get the hump and go back to posting about how much I love michael bay's work, I stuck it here instead. Feel free to merge it into the other thread which I can't read.

For me the only problem with animated was the lack of chatacterisation - not of the autobots, who all had a well-furnished history complete with nice little nods to their g1 heritage, but with the virtual absence of any backstory for the decepticons. (Lockdown doesn't count, he's freelance!)

Lugnut and blitzwing rack up an impressive amount of screen-time, but we never learn anything about their pasts, their relationship or what drew them to megatron's cause in the frst place.

It may simply be that they were pencilled in for character development at a later date, and the premature death of the show prevented that, but I was always disappointed we didn't find out a bit more about shockwave or starscream, both of whom had the potential for so much more.

All said and done, tfa is arguably the most consistently excellent tf cartoon we've been given and in it's short life it hardly put a foot wrong - I get the impression that many of the people who have critisised it's storytelling were so put off by the visual style, they didn't watch enough of it to fully appreciate the slow-burning, multi-episode spanning, story arcs that revealed the character's pasts. Shame, it really was superb compared to the more episodic g1 toy commercials.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    The same can be said of any TF series. you never find out decepticon backstory, outside of the comics, if you're lucky.

3. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

True enough, but in most previous series we didn't delve too deeply into either side's past.

Even beastwars, which was also superb, dwelt more on the interraction between characters rather than how they became what they are, with the possible ecxeption of protoformX and depthcharge they were all 'new' characters fresh out of the drop pod.

4. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    They're the badguys. You're not supposed to care about why the badguys are bad. You're supposed to make the friend that you hate pretend to be them when you play robots, make him cry, and not see him again for ten years.

5. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    What?

Optimus had loads of character development with the pressure of being a leader, Bulkhead's character was developed beyond the big dumb oaf, the only characters that weren't really developed were most of the Decepticons sans Blackarachnia, and Bumblebee. Did you really want characterization for the Decepticons in a show mostly about Autobots and their war?

6. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I agree with you here. I think the Decepticons could have had a little more back story. I mean even in G1 "some" of the decepticons got more back story then Animated.

I also didn't care for how season 3 ended at all. The last 2 episodes were a let down.

7. butz

butz slippery when wet

I see what you're saying, but I wasn't really bothered by it; beyond knowing that Megatron felt persecuted for being driven off Cybertron due to the war, I didn't really give a second thought to the Decepticon's backstory. Too busy with everything that was going on with the Autobots.

8. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I fear that Lugnut's loyalty was so so strong, that no matter the explanation for such crazy devotion...it would still disappoint.

9. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My only problems with TF:A deal partly with its "villain of the week" storytelling structure. I don't think it's bad exactly - it works great for those who can't catch all episodes in order, but you don't get much development for any given character unless they get an episode devoted o them (Example: Blackarachnia is one of the most character-driven villains in the series, but barely shows up for more than one episode per season.) There's also the tendency to make main characters learn the same lessons over and over ("Sari, that key is not a toy!" "Bumblebee, quit going off on your own and work with the team more!")

My main disappointment is the handling of the Dinobots. They had the potential to be heroic, or a chaotic element in the bot/con battle. Instead they were mostly big dogs who were controlled by literally ANY bad guy who landed on their island, and never did jack for anyone who was willing to help them. ('cept maybe Snarl a little bit)

10. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I believe this is very much the cause of it. Animated was pressured to finish it up, with 1 or 2 more seasons, it could have been so much more.

Just look at Justice League, with its continuation in Justice League Unlimited. Characters such as the Flash, which had no development prior to this, got quite a bit in the Unlimited series. A real waster for Animated, I think.

11. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I hated the look moreso than the writing. It looked cheap and honestly I have seen 10 year olds come up with better looking designs. I couldn't draw an IDW comic but even I could draw better than the look of Animated. Honestly the writing and va wasn't bad but the look killed it and I believe it was the factor that made the show die a quick death especially considering it started right after a major blockbuster movie. There are no badass looking robots in Animated just lame ones.

12. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

Ryan I like what you said, all of it. Given just a little more time to develop or had it been aimed at an older audience it would have been superb.

13. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    my main disappointment with animated was that the Dinobots were underused and misused when they were and all 5 weren't there

14. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My only true dislike of Transformers Animated is that it ended. However, if a gun was placed against my head for anything to disapprove of it would be that an Animated Devastator never made an appearance. Allthough, I'm pretty sure that if it had continued, Devastator would have shown up.

15. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The lack of dinobots didn't bug me. Even in the original series, they only showed up a couple times. However, I disliked the capture of Blitzwing, Ramjet, and Sunstorm (I think that was all of them?).

Blitzwing was easily the best character in that series and to write him off before the climax is inexcusable.

"I WILL CRUSH THE WRITERS INTO TIN FOIL!!!"

I don't know who did his voice but I hope he returns to the Transformers soon. Love his Arnold voice.... "I WILL POUND THEM INTO SHEET METAL"

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    OK, Go ahead and do it and show it off!

Go!

NOW!!

(BTW, be prepared for criticism not one bit harsher than you give to Derrick Wyatt and crew. ;)  )

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Animated's art style made hasbro strike a deal with Discovery to form their own channel, thus removing any reason to continue to do business with cartoon network. gotcha.

18. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Aha, I wanted to retort his comment, but I figured other members out there could do better. Great job guys.

19. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Johnator is improving. Before he used the '5 year old' comparison, now it's the '10 year old' comparison. C'mon guys, keep influencing him! :lol 

20. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think TFA is overrated. It's just a regular show that managed to catch the attention of people tired of the japanese anime crap.