What Happens When you Hit 40 or 50?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Auto Morph, May 8, 2011.

1. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

So many of us will have either grown up with Transformers (for example G1) or been introduced to it at a relatively young age.

The recent age poll on here showed that, for the most part we are all within roughly the same age demographic. I think it's fair to say that 'our' age group is the first to really collect toys of this type, ie which are marketed directly through a cartoon or similar media, especially in the numbers we represent.

I know there are people of all ages who collect toy cars, dolls and such like, but in terms of a tie in to a TV show or film, there is really only those of us who were born in the 70s or 80s who have embraced this as a hobby and carried it through to the age we are now. OK, maybe Star Wars fans would be slightly older than TF fans on average (although the newer trilogy may have changed that) but generally, I would group us all together in the context of this thread.

So my question is, at what point do you think we will stop buying toys? When we are forty? Fifty? Can you really see yourself posting on TFW and hunting down the latest TF releases when you are approaching retirement?

My own answer is that I genuinely do not know. As I said, there isn't really a precedent for this type of collecting/fan/hobby that I can easily think of, so I have nothing to judge against.

Is there anyone out there who collects TFs who is already aged forty or more? I would like to hear from them! Where do you those of you aged 30-35 think you will be with your Transformer toy collection in the next twenty years?

2. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I don't think about what I do in 10 or 20 years. It's hard enough to manage everything that needs to be done now and I'm happy about every second I can just do what I want without thinking about what will be.

I will see what I will do when it is time. Until then I'll let myself be surprised about what time will bring.

3. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, I'm 40 and have been collecting since 1985. So, 26 years later here I sit in a Robot museum with more toys than a Large TRU. I do look back on those early years when G1 was still on shelves and wonder what I would think if I knew back then what my collection would look like today.

I think things changed for me after the first Botcon in '94. That was when it ceased being a casual hobby for me and became a collection I worked at. Where I'll be 26 years down the road? I can only guess. I think I'd like to open a real museum for TF's at some point. It'd be a nice way to retire and still enjoy collecting without having to buy a second house to store it all in.

4. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

A Transformers museum would be...well it would be so awesome I can't actually think of a word for it!

5. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well im 33 now and when i get 50 i will still collect if i am able and still enjoy it. i could care less if anyone else likes it or not.

6. dkr7

dkr7 "Argh' Hexagonal Nuts!"

News Credits:
    well ive got 20-30 years til then so i hope to have a sweet ass collection and to of seen transformers toys evolve over the years into even better engineered figures.

7. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll never say never but I don't see my collecting changing very much. I turn 35 this year and, as long as quality product is available, I don't see myself stopping any time soon.

8. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    I don't quite agree with some things,of us being a tie-in with shows and stuff,there are way more toylines that do that like Marvel,DC,Kamen Rider and etc. Now as for the topic I am fixing to turn 40 in about 10 months but I figure when that time comes I will most likely stop buying new TF's,mainly by then all the movie figs will be the last ones I want,but then I plan on trying to get the old ones I don't have yet which is about 75 or 80 more,then I will truly be done,and I can put them on display till I am pushing up daises.That is my story.

9. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm 48 and it seems I'm the oldest one here. I remember buying G1 figures and there were alot of them on the shelves after 1985, before that the figures sold out quick.

What I'm planning to do is that I will buy some of the DOTM figures and then I will stop and concentrate on getting the old ones whether they are original, reissues and KO.

My collection is getting large and I am running out of room. I hate paying for storage every month.

But what will I do with my collection in the future, I don't know maybe sell it. But I know it won't be worth much as the G1 originals.

10. indie

indie Guns! More guns!

well, when i hit 50 (23 years from now), i'm hoping we'll have self transforming and moving electronic figures with artifical intelligence. and yes, i'm going to collect the hell out of those :) 

11. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I'm playing it by ear. I'm 33 now, so I've got 7 years til 40 and 17 til 50. I've got a feeling I'll quit when I get all the G1's I want, and the classics updates of them. Only buying more new stuff if they redo a classics character with a better version.

12. Barry Kaid

Barry Kaid Well-Known Member

I'm 38 and only started collecting about 4 years ago. I might stop when I'm 40 though (already anticipating that mid-life crisis!)

13. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    I'm 32 and I don't see my collecting stopping, but my tastes have changed over the years. I've become increasingly picky over the years and most of my collection is now Japanese or custom.

For me it's a nostalgia trip - so long as the toys keep doing it for me, I'll keep collecting.

14. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

I'm also nearing 40..... and I'm not sure if I'm losing interest in actual collecting, if it's because I already have so much, or that I'm just not liking what's being done with the line. Maybe it's because I have a better understand of what I really like and want.... and simply being a Transformer isn't enough for me any more.

I had so much fun watching and collecting Animated.... that if I don't reach that level of fun.... I don't even want to bother with it.

I stopped collecting Star Wars mid '07 when frustration replaced fun in trying to find figures. Last year the vintage collection pulled me back in. This year it has gone back to being a big pain in the ass...... but I want them so much I don't care. I will buy them online if it comes to that. Paying a higher price isn't so bad when I'm not collecting a bunch of other stuff. But that's the thing, I know this is a line I really want and have wanted for a very long time. Maybe that's what for me at least comes with being an older collecter.

There is one last thing to consider..... collecting every year..... adds up. I'd say I collected pretty steady for 10 years, Star Wars, Transformers, Anime figs, Zoids, Medabots, 25th Ann. Joes, Saint Seiya, etc. and it's almost shocking how much crap that equals. Just simply keeping it all becomes an undertaking. I don't see how that can continue to be maintained through multiple decades... unless there are major purges along the way. There is no way I could see my self collecting toys in my 40's like I did in my 30's.... if only because if I did that would mean I'd double my collection.... and that would be INSANE.

15. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

There are people in their 40s, 50s, etc, who still collect comic books. I don't think it's all that different. People like to collect things.

16. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    Recently turned 39 and recently rediscovered collecting transformers! So heck yeah, until the day they throw dirt on my face I'll be gathering and modifying my collection.

When do we stop? Until all are one!

17. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, I don't think you can put a year on it you know? When I stopped for 4 years in the mid 00's, I didn't make a consensus decision to stop. My priorities changed (Finishing up college/dating/applying for a Masters degree) and I abandoned Seibertron.com :lol 

Some of my Beast Wars stayed out but for the most part, everything else went into Storage. It wasn't until I stumbled across this site that I was officially sucked back in. My love for the line never changed, I just came back because school ended and I was dating a pretty cool woman at the time.

We'll have to see what changes in my life occur but quitting isn't set on a particular age or date, it just happens and you realize "Hey... I don't have time for this stuff anymore".

However, I will always have BW TM Megatron. I don't give a damn how old I get, that Megatron isn't going ANYWHERE:2c: 

18. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

Until his arm snaps off. :) 

19. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Pretty much what I was going to say! Haha!

I'm not sure what'll happen. Right now I'm winding down my collection, my my interest remains high. Perhaps I'll just buy the occasional tf, or play with my kids toys if I ever happen to spawn!

20. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    I'd collect. And collect. And collect.

But I also have about 20-30 more years before I have to worry about any of that.