What happens when you complete your intended collection?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Star Saber, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    This just kept popping into my head the last couple of days, but I'm just curious how collectors here feel after they complete a collection or line they want to complete?

I'm currently trying to complete the original Ark Crew for Classics, but am waiting to see if I can find Hound, Cliffjumper, Mirage, Windcharger for reasonable prices. Of course, then have to wait for Hasbro to put out a proper Brawn, Trailbreaker etc. But what happens when you complete them? I'm just curious because most of my other attempts at completion have stalled out. With RID, I'm still missing Ultra Magnus and the Build team for my Autobots, and I'm still missing Starscream and Music Label Soundwave for my Shattered Glass Decepticons.

i'm sure most will feel joy at completing their collection, but what happens after? Is their emptyness knowing you've completed what you've set out to do?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    In the words of William Gull in Alan Moore's From Hell:

"I have been climbing, Netley, all my life, toward a single peak. Now I have reached it. I have stood and felt the wind. I have seen all the world beneath me. Now there is only descent. Only the valley. Would that I had died there, Netley, in that light above the cloud line. I'm cold. Take me home."

3. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Bah, I've been collecting since 1999 and started out with a box of junk from my childhood. Now I've got over 1500 pieces of transformers plastic and I'm still going strong. I limit myself by only going for those bots and cons that are in the show or in a movie. For some that means getting a hasbro version and then after a year or so a takara version for better show accuracy.

As long as hasbro-takaratomy are pumping out new shows I'll be able to collect something new. If they would quit I would still be able to go back to those series that I have yet to complete and/ or start collecting non-show characters.

I love to sit back and just enjoy my collection on display. Or customization on movie figures. Nope I won't be done with my collecting any time soon!

iDD

4. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    When you've completed it, you donate it to me ;) 

5. raindance

raindance Experimental

Heh. My "intended" collection was to buy the original G1 Optimus Prime back in 84-85 because I thought it was cool. Yeah well I've been intending to stop since then. It never ends my friend. Never...
    -rain-

6. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When I think I'm done they go and make an awesome looking toyline like TF:p rime and make a kick-ass show to go wth it, so now I have to complete THAT line too! argh. =(

7. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

I'm almost done getting the figures I really really really want. I have less than 10 on my list. Unfortunately the ones missing are the expensive hard to find kind.

What'll happen is I'll keep buying. Just a lower rate. I plan to keep all of them. Maybe learn to mod. Keep an eye out for new figures I may like and the ones I'm still missing.

8. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    One line ends, then you find another you like and want to collect. Whether you mean to or not.

9. Manok

Manok Well-Known Member

you sell it and start over.

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Help me find the last 4-5 G1s I'm short and I'll tell you ;) 

In fairness - you either stop and enjoy what you have got, or you find a way to expand out and collect something else. I'm planning to do the former and cut back to just the occasional modern stuff, and spend more time enjoying what I already have.

11. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

I..actually haven't thought that far ahead.

12. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    "And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer."

It'll be a while before I get to this point, though. Until then, the hunt for the next shiny new TF is on! Remember, it's the journey, not so much the destination. =)

13. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I was actually referring to say a line or subline ending, or certain encompassing lines like Classics. I'll always be collecting TFs (I collect Primes) but I realized that I've never really finished out a collection. I understand some people hold on to em a while and then sell em, but does that hold for a lot of fans out there?

14. Sanchimaru

Sanchimaru Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When you complete it, images of new awesome toys from toy fairs start appearing. Like the TF: Prime Vehicons. I pretty much have already most of the TFs I wanted to have. And then they had to release that wonderful decepticon car... And Cliffjumper... yeah, not the zombie one, the other... I must have that Cliffjumper... Not only that, I'm sure that we will see more fantastic figures along the line. Oh, and then there is the possibility of more United figures after the DotM line is finished.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  15. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

i'd want more but life at some point catches up with you. i hope i can adjust something. maybe stop smoking and get more toys.

16. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Nothing. When I have everything I want, I have everything. Then I can concentrate on buying vinyls again. Haven't bought a vinyl in years and now that many labels changed to digital distribution, I'd better get some, before they are gone completely.

17. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    I probably won't. ;_;

And even if I did, I'd just wait for new stuff to come out.

18. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I have to comment on how awesome these posts are! :thumb 

I don't know that I'll never be completely done with my overall collection. There's always going to be a new figure that will interest me even if it's the only one of a series.

The only series that I was conciously trying to "complete" was Beast Machines. It is my favorite TF show of all time and I really wanted to get at least one representation of each of the main characters. After I completed that, it was like Christmas putting the display shelf together!
    [​IMG]

19. jksit1

jksit1 The Chosen One

:thumb 

20. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

There's no emptyness, quite the opposite actually. The feeling is of fullfillment and accomplishment. You're dealing with anxiety, not collecting - and buying stuff out of anxiety is dangerous, there's no goal there.