What happens to unsold toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by UKBrawn, Jul 15, 2010.

1. UKBrawn

UKBrawn No arms just CLAWS!!

I was just wondering?,

For example; in my TRU, one week there was 50 boxes of reissue jazz on the shelf, the next week they had all been taken off the shelves.

1. Are they all sold onto to cheapo stores for resale at lower prices?

2. Are they returned to Hasbro and kept in a big stockroom somewhere?

3. Are they returned to Hasbro and melted down for scrap?

And if 1 applies what If they still cant be sold? Are they just passed on and on and on until they are eventually all sold?

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I have always wondered this. Hopefully someone will be able to tell us an official answer.

3. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    Two Words UKB. Big Lots!

Here in the US when toys go on clearance and aren't selling they usually sell them to store
    like Big Lots cheap and they sell them slightly over what they paid for them,but still cheaper
    than what they sold for in the first store.Hope that helps.

4. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    what sucks is it is RARE for us to get really anything on clearance over here, we got masterpiece skywarp, him and the ROTF wal-mart exclusive seekers ramjet and skywarp, and that is a RARE treat, still need to pick up those two seekers, i already got mp skywarp

5. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Or sometimes they go to marshalls or tjmaxx...sometimes you get lucky (ldr brawl and movie 1 voyagers)
    Or you will get just fabs....

6. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Target donates them to Goodwill

7. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    they end up in winners here

8. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep, during the TRU era, it was not uncommon to stumble across reissues at KB Toy outlets. I remember picking up sidewipe for 7 bucks:thumb 

Also, Amazon had all the TRU reissues as well and they ALL SOLD lol. Amazon clearanced them out for 7 or 8 bucks with free shipping.

Eventually, everything gets sold, no matter what. Case in point, Beast Wars transquito. Everyone had at least 7 of these and eventually the TRU in my area sold them for 3 dollars. I still didn't buy one but someone did lol.

9. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i think sometimes they get sold to other chains, like big lots, but i bet hasbro also takes a ton of toys back and donates them to Toys for Tots and other charities... that's probably a massive tax write off for them...

10. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I've seen TRU re-issues and exclusives at the Big Lots right down the street from the TRU I frequent.

11. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I've NEVER gone to Big Lot's. But there is one in my area. Should I look there for Transformers I can't find else where?
    I also wonder if some of those get put on ebay.

12. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Liquidation centres also pick them up.
    There are a couple of warehouse liquidation world type places in my area that sell old tfs kinda cheap.

13. JCMGTX

JCMGTX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Usually like everyone said they end up at a Big Lots or around me there is a small chain called Ollie's. I remeber when i got back into collecting TF's, Beast Machines Primal Prime was going for $80 on eBay I walekd into a Big Lots and there was 20 of them on a shelf for $15 a piece.

So I am hoping with the missing last wave of ROTF which wold be Red rampage Evac and HA Mudflap that these show up at these stores. Since they have been so hit and miss in the big chain stores. You know Hasbro produced them and they are sitting somewhere.

14. Rdfnd1253

Rdfnd1253 Well-Known Member

Hey same thing here on Long Island. Big lots had at least 30+ primal primes and for around $15 a piece. I kick myself for not grabbing a bunch!

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    They let them rot until they finally get sold That's how i've seen it.

Don't expect Big Lots to get more Tuner Mudflaps.

16. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

From what I have heard people say online and such they just leave them there or take them into the back and rotate them.

But, from what I have actually heard from toy store workers and my manager at WM is that TRU destroys them in the back, whenever something scans as a penny it's supposed to be destroyed and they claims it out.

It's how I got TRU Red Alert re-issue that got stuck between shelves and hidden during the ilse resets, they weren't about to take that outta my hands without selling it to me.

My WM manager says they just stack stuff on reclamations pallets and send it back to WM that probably destroys it and claims it out.

I know some stock must go to the secondary stores, but you only really know when it still has an exclusive sticker on it where it reallly came from.

Target, KB and a few others seem to do this but I haven't ever seen WM or TRU exclusives at those stores.

My store had a whole isle of clearance toys that magically disapeared for the summer toys/floats I'm sure it got sent back since there aren't alot of repacked toys setting in the bins in the backroom.

Unless they have secret ones I don't know about.

17. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This one was almost too easy: Island of the Misfit Toys! Or here in Canada it's (ironically) known as "Winners" :p 

Also there's a Toy Warehouse here that opens to the public every 6 months I believe, selling overstocked toys

18. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i highly doubt they'd just destroy it... that'd be money down the drain... even selling stuff on clearance is better than doing that...

19. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I remember getting some of the TRU reissues at KB toys and Big Lots back in the day. I got the SE Universe figures at Marshalls.

20. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I just checked my local Big Lots and they had "0" Transformers. They did have some book shelves that I was tempted by as I need more shelving space for my collection. They had a nice tall five shelf system, and a nice long three shelf system. Both shelves can be had for less than $60.