What happens to unsold toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by RobotoChan, Nov 11, 2007.

1. RobotoChan

RobotoChan Nothing to see here

News Credits:
    I have been wondering for a long time and have yet to find a satisfactory answer to the question of what happens to unsold toys, in this case Transformers.

If somebody works in the industry and reads this board, I would love to know the answer.

I imagine a fair number of toys go unsold and are maybe returned to the distributor... but what happens after that?

Are they melted down to be used in other toys?

Do they sit in a warehouse forever, gathering dust.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please?

Thanks.

2. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Good question, I don't think they destroy them, probably some end up in the black market in latin american countries... and then I buy them!!! :ev: :ev: 

Serously, I think they wait until there's no demand for them, and then sell them to small stores at a really cheap price.

3. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

If they realy don't sell, they get recycled.

4. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

When you see older toys repackaged, like the current selection of Universe stuff at Family Dollar or KB Toys, you have part of your answer.

5. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Erm, no. Those are actually newly produced as far as I know. It'd be kinda expensive to have unsold toys shipped back to Hasbro, open them, put them in new packaging and then send them back to stores.

6. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Then why are the repacks from Hasbro Toy Group but the originals from Hasbro?

7. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, this has been buggin the hell out of me two.

My guess is the go in the mariana (or whatever) trench.
    Just like in the movie.

8. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

So, then by calling such Universe figures as those, the G1 Spychangers, and various Energon deluxes "repackaged" for some time now, you meant what exactly? If you were actually referring to something else - TFs manufactured but unreleased that get dumped onto discount retail in separate Universe packaging assortments; or older toys manufactured specifically for those outlets; or whatever is their true origin - you certainly never bothered to clarify it as such. Despite the number of threads you've started here and on TFArchive on the subject and using the term when announcing info on new assortments.

By making yourself into an authority on TFs, whether intended or not, these kinds of things can happen if you don't explain these things accurately. Don't act so surprised or throw around sarcasm as if I'm some incoherent moron.

9. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I thought they just got "sent back" and then sold to discount stores like "Big Lots" and the run of the mill "Dollar Tree" type of stores

10. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

Why do a brand new production run on toys that were plentiful shelfwarmers?

11. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, If the toy industry is anything like the music industry. I'd guess that any unsold toys would be sent back to the stores warehouse and then the manufacturer, then ground up and the plastic shipped over to Asia for recycling and such. That's how EMI and Virgin records do things. I could be wrong about how the toy industry does things.

12. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    It seems everyone's missing the obvious, logical answer to this question:

With most retailers, there is no such thing as an "unsold toy." If a toy isn't selling, retailers begin making periodic markdowns on the product until it has sold. And when retailers need space for seasonal product and/or new marketing directives, they'll make deep discounts on product to sell it quicker. Granted, they end up losing money on them, but it's not cost-effective to ship them back to the vendors either. If they did, they'd lose even more money on them.

Product that is returned to vendor usually only involves digital and print media: books, DVDs, music CDs, video games, etc. Believe it or not, this kind of product is frequently commission-based, and retailers don't even make a very high margin of profit on them--unless they sell above the MSRP (like many mall stores do). And whatever product doesn't sell gets sent back to the vendor, except in some cases where the vendor will cut a bulk deal with the retailer to keep costs down and still have a margin of profit.

I'd say about 98% of the time, the only time toys are returned to the vendor is in the event of a safety or defective recall.

I've been working in retail for nearly 20 years, with a number of different retailers (including Wal-Mart and Target), and this is the way the industry works.

Discount and outlet stores like Big Lots, Dollar General and the like frequently get bulk deals direct from the vendor, but they also deal in bulk with some of the "big box" retailers (Walmart, Target, TRU). If you're seeing repackaged product at these chains, more than likely it was done by the vendor.

13. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    My post was sarcastic how? :confused2 

With "repackage", I simply mean "Toy in identical colors re-released in different packaging, sometimes as part of a different line or as part of a multi-pack". Do you have a better term than "repackage"?

We also call things "repaints" even though that term implies that Hasbro take a produced toy and paint it in different colors, rather than producing a new toy using the same molds but with different plastic colors.

And we call things "remolds" or "retools", thereby implying that Hasbro always modify the existing steel molds rather than creating a new mold for one or more plastic sprues.

Sometimes terms shouldn't be taken literal. Y'know, a scalper doesn't literally cut off another person's scalp and all...

14. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    which is why they are picky on stocking certain items, they don't wanna bunch of toys they can't make a profit on, and end up having to clear them out.

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Awesome!

16. RobotoChan

News Credits:
    That sounds like the most sane way of working from a business point of view. Having never really worked in retail that involves that kind of process, I never really considered that they would just mark them down until they sold.

Thanks for spending the time to explain that to us.

17. Roller

Roller Keep on rollin'! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    They get sent to the Isle of Misfit Toys

18. RobotoChan

News Credits:
    My main concern was that they may be buried in the desert like those 5 million E.T. cartridges that Atari made way back when. http://www.snopes.com/business/market/atari.asp

Hell, if that would have been the case, I would have got my shovel and bought a plane ticket ;) 

19. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Wow, I remember that game, it sucked REALLY bad, glad to see it ended up where it belonged though.:lol 

20. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Personally, I would think that any unsold toys would go back to Hasbro and from there on they probably keep them in a warehouse, then probably re-issue them when they're in demand.