What happens to the 3rd party stuff when...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jksit1, Mar 22, 2011.

1. jksit1

jksit1 The Chosen One

Like most of the others on this board I am loving the 3rd party customs that have been thrown our way in the last few years. What I have been thinking about lately is what happens to them if Has-Tak decides to finally release one of their own? i.e

Fansproject
    City Commander
    Protector
    Defender

Igear
    Valkarie

I am in two minds about what I will do with mine if these were ever released.

(A) Do I have a seperate shelf for just custom pieces? (running out of space here)

(B) Sell them off and buy some more official TF's?

I mean they are just replacements for the official one's we are waiting for? Aren't they??

Any thoughts? :confused: 

2. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well speaking just for myself CC and protector and just amazing and doubt hasbro can come up with anything that good in terms of details and looking so good, so even if they were to have an official release i would pass on them and keep what i got.

3. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    It depends on what the product is and how it turns out, but I would say that it's not worth worrying about. Part of the motivation behind the 3rd party releases is the fact that Hasbro is unlikely to release the product in the first place, so odds of a Hasbro/Takara replacement are usually pretty low.

4. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    You are probably NOT going to get a Has/Tak release of CC and Protector. Its rare among rare to release just an add-on.

For Warbot, there are chances of release, but maybe not to the engineering level of what he is.

Valkyrie, I don't care about.

5. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I don't really understand this thread... if you didn't buy the figures with the intent of tossing or selling them, then you're set. If Hasbro releases them, and you like them, buy those too. Why would you let someone else tell you how much you like a product in the sense of whether you should sell something or not?

It's your choice. No one can gauge how much you'd like the product if you had official Hasbro products.

6. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I don't imagine Hasbro or TakaraTomy doing anything similar to either the City Commander or Protector sets, so there's nothing to really say about those. Unless they were to release new figures of Ultra Magnus fully armored and a Rodimus Prime/Convoy.

That's part of the reason I've never picked up anything besides those and the G3 trailer. Like Warbot Defender for example, I never bought it in hopes of an original Hasbro/TakaraTomy product. Same goes for most other "Third Party" products. Though, I don't think very highly of Warbot Defender to begin with, honestly.

I'm with you though. A "Third Party" product is merely a placeholder should Hasbro or TakaraTomy produce an official product representing that character.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    The only ones I got were munitioner and explorer. I think it's a safe bet that Hasbro won't be releasing a new mold combiner Bruticus any time soon.

8. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Moot point for me, as I don't actually own any third party figures (unless you count the stuff I'm doing myself). But yeah, most of these pieces are things that Has/Tak most likely aren't going to do themselves anyway.
    Obviously, the likes of Defender are a bit trickier, as there's every chance they'll eventually do a Springer some way down the line. Whether you replace Defender with the official product would surely depend on which you like better. Just as many people are happy with Perfect Effect's offerings, and some even prefer them over the official Frenzy and Rumble (and indeed Reflector) on their way.

9. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It depends on how much I like the Hastak stuff. I'll keep the one I like and sell off the other one, doesn't matter if 3rd party or official. If I like both the 3rd party and official ones, then I'll keep both. And would display them together side by side.

10. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Your question is one of the reasons that I have yet to get a NOT Arcee. That and neither one was to my liking. But yes these 3rd party items are bought (by me) to fill a void that Hasbro won't.

With regards to Reflector, I will be getting the PE guys but my HASBRO version will be the leader to his little troops.

With Rumble and Frenzy, the Hasbro version is extremely different from the PE verson and I think both can exist in the same reality.

CC and Protector and Bruticus have no worries of being replaced. They are too unique and unlike anything Hasbro has ever offered.

Defender is iffy. If Hasbro ever makes a Triplechanging Springer then I may up an sell my Defender.

My bottom line is that the decision is a one on one thing. It depends on the 3rd party figure. Such as with TFC Devi, if it is as amazing as it seems to be then even a Hasbro official version would not replace him.

11. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
  12. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As far as the "add-on" kits, its just not gonna happen. While we, the collectors, love this stuff, there's just not enough demand for it out there despite what you think.

As far as straight-up "re-do's" of characters, like Springer and Reflector, I doubt we will get anything any time soon from HasTak. But if they were, in fact, to come out with comparable products to any third party stuff, their value will plummet, not that it matters to me though.

13. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    If hasbro were to make new figures that looked great like a new Ultra Magnus with it's armor or an awesome looking Rodimus then I'd put my FP products up for sale. I don't care who makes it. If there's a better figure to be had then I'm getting it. I had Warbot Defender but sold him off because he just wasn't Springer to me. He just kinda clashed with my Classics.