What happens if you don't pay a speeding ticket?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RedOktobre, Sep 1, 2008.

1. RedOktobre

RedOktobre RedOktobre

Hi all,

I got a speeding ticket in Arlington, Washington.

According to the officer, I was driving 90 mph on I-5. The posted speed limit was 70 mph.

I never saw the unmarked cream-coloured patrol car until I saw flashing lights behind me. It happened at about 11:00 am on Sunday, August 31, 2008.

It was embarrassing. My wife was with me too! We were on a way from Vancouver, BC, Canada to do some "cross-border" shopping in Washington state. Since the Canadian dollar has been relatively strong, it is common for us Canadians to engage in "same-day cross-border shopping."

Of course, my "shopping day" was ruined. Other than the $ 175.00 US speeding ticket, I did manage to buy Universe 2.0 Onslaught, Premium Bumblebee, and Premium Barricade. It's nice to at least get these guys in my collection.

According to the back of the speeding ticket, if I fail to pay the fine: the debt will be forwarded to a collection agency and I will have a poor driving record.

Questions:
    1. Since I'm from Canada, what will happen if I don't pay?
    2. Will my name be recorded by US customs?
    3. Will my Canadian driving record be affected?

If anyone knows something, please clarify for me.

thanx.

RedOktobre

2. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

It's likely that as the ticket is not paid, and you don't appear at court, a bench warrant will be issued for your arrest. Although I'm not sure how it would affect you in Canada, I would doubt Interpol is going to come looking for you.

If that does happen, you would very likely have trouble the next time you tried to cross the border though.

And, you would be a fucking degenerate. Pay the ticket.

3. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They will issue an warrant for your arrest, if you don't pay the fine. But since
    you live in Canada, I don't know if the State of Washington can do anything to you or not.

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Crazy, that. Police officers should totally not give tickets to people who are with their wives, 'cause it's SO embarrassing.

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

This seems a totally appropriate and decent place to get the facts.

:bay 

6. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Additionally, according to information found on carinsurance.com, most Canadian provinces cooperate with a majority of US states in exchanging driver record information. Because you had a Canadian license, that information could be transmitted back to your province's DMV-equivalent.

It's okay though. I have good news for you. You don't have to be a tool by not paying the ticket - it just means you can't blow it on toys for while!

7. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Seriously, how do you end up going 20 mph over the limit at 11 in the morning?

8. Jazzy Zx

Jazzy Zx Wants too be called Jz :P

News Credits:
    Go straight to jail.....

9. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

That's why you don't drive 145 km/h, heck where the hell can you even do that in Canada.

10. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    do not pass go, do not collect $200

11. Sideways

Sideways Banned

i was thinking the same thing Poho...

12. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

1. You're a foreigner - homeland security will question your purpose and intent for these intermittant cross-border in & outs. The Mounties will be notified by U.S. agents and on the lookout for you.

2. Yes. With a name like RedOktobre, you will most likely be considered a Communist sympathizer who's plotting the demise of the land of the free.

3. Yes, if homeland security decides to send a SEAL team after you to retrieve you for questioning, or if the Mounties find you first.

Dude, pay the ticket and be done with it. My last ticket (a year ago) was $270 for going 15 miles over the limit, plus another $40 for the driving school to take it off my record, plus the gas and wear and tear on my car since the nearest one was 30min east of where I live, plus time off from work, which ment I was minus a day's pay.

My fault. My responsability. If you're worried about any sort of emmbarressment with regards to your wife's opinion of you, imagine what she'd think if you didn't deal out the fine you'll have to pay. You'd have a warrent out for yourself just for speeding due to some cross-border shopping spree. Now THAT'S embarrassing.

Seriously, $175 is cupcakes.

:dj 

13. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Shinki,Braves,TF's Oh my!

Not paying the ticket is really a "dick" thing to do. If you were emberrassed that your wife was there, would you be mortified if you had kids there too, and what lesson would you teach them? It is ok to break the laws in countries you visit? Are you the kind of person that would track mud in your neighbors house then turn around and say, Boy what a mess, I will leave you to clean it up!

14. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    You get put in a cell with a guy called Bubba, your resulting relationship may make you walk like a cowboy, :)  pay the ticket, its still upsetting but far more pleasant.

15. LatinJEM777

LatinJEM777 TFW's Premier Shredder

*BUZZ* calling Prowl Delta, Prowl Delta to General Discussion. You could ask him and get his opinion on it.

16. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:

1. A warrant will be issued after x amount of days
    2.Yes,If you were pulled over again in the us your screwed
    3.Yes, Driving is driving
    The Canadian dmv will be notified and react accordingly.

4.the fine will double multible times the longer you wait to pay(up to 800 dollars or so)I had a seatbelt ticket i forgot about that shot up 400 dollars in a couple months.

p.s

you got lucky it is that cheap for 20+ over the speed limit at night

17. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pay it to avoid this as well. You might want to do some research about it since this is a cross-border thing but, IIRC, it's very bad for your credit to have something go into collections.

18. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

I would never even consider not paying the ticket. You broke the law and got caught, pay the fine and go on with your life. Not paying it is not going to make it go away, it will only get worse making something very easy potentially very hard.

19. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Curse you, I wanted to make that joke.

20. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Christmas night of 2003, I was pulled over for speeding and it was a young cop. I started to step out of my truck and he freaked out by yelling "STAY IN THE TRUCK!!! STAY IN THE TRUCK!!!" He needed to calm down. I guess he was a cop for several months, but I had to pay the fine of $148.