What happens if you don't pay a seller on eBay?

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by NGW, Mar 20, 2011.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    My girlfriend bought a card for her Yugioh deck on eBay, $3 for what's usually a $7 card. And then she saw the shipping, $17, which is just ridiculous for a trading card especially since it puts the price to almost what she could get a full playset of that card for.

She's worried about what would happen if she doesn't pay, she just got her account banned on Gaia for not paying an artist virtual money for work he did (and honestly I feel that was an unfair banning, there's nothing in their Terms of Service about that as far as I know) so she's kinda paranoid about these things right now.

She can just..not pay right, everything would be fine, especially since the shipping cost is just a douchey move on the sellers part.

2. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    She'd get a non-paying buyer strike, is it still '3 strikes and you're out'?

At the risk of sounding unsympathetic, there's really no excuse for the above scenario. If I see what I believe to be extortionate shipping them I simply don't bid. If the postage costs are unclear, I ask the seller before bidding. As someone who sells on ebay from time to time, I find not paying to be complete inexcusable (as the buyer who didn't feel like paying for the Titanium Soundwave they won found out).

3. tb-1599

tb-1599 Well-Known Member

ebay is a binding contract. It all depends how much of an ass the seller wants to be.

4. Cliffbee

Cliffbee Well-Known Member

She agreed to purchase something, but didn't pay attention to the details, and now you think it's probably okay not to pay for the item?

Do you really need to ask this question?

5. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

She can always explain this to the seller, and request that the transaction be canceled.

The seller has the right to open an unpaid item dispute if not paid, and yes, 3 strikes and you are out.

6. Dinobots Rule

Dinobots Rule Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well she should pay....but she will just get 1 strike against her for not paying. and i believe it still takes 3 to get kicked off ebay.

7. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Well we'll contact the seller and proceed from there.

Not gonna let her throw away that much on something that costs a fraction of that to ship. I got a ton of cards off of Troll and Toad and it cost 99 cents to ship them all.

8. omega145

omega145 Autobot

Ebay:
    Her fault for not reading the entire description and price. The seller will file an unpaid item dispute. Not for nothing but with her committing to buy an eBay item and with her history of prior banning for not paying, I'd tell her to stay away from buying anything online. It is frustrating for online sellers to deal with buyers like this.

9. jtwhoib

jtwhoib Protocol

Ebay:
    Yea, unfortunately, it is a binding contract. She'll probably have to suck it up this time and pay it. Just be more careful next time.

10. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

Argh, I have very little sympathy for your gf. Sellers despise non-paying bidders. Heck, I've had to deal with 2 in the last month. Very annoying since I am not a big volume seller.

High shipping or not, you have to honor your winning bid. Perhaps this will serve as lesson for future purchases.

11. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    She should have noticed the shipping before she went and bid. She wont last very long on ebay if she doesnt check the terms and shipping before she bids or buys an auction..

You could always email the seller and ask if they can use a different shipping as well, 17$ for a single card is insane when it can be put in a envelope for the price of a stamp.

Ebay would probably side with her if the seller filed a claim against her. Sounds like the seller is one of those that make his money off of the shipping to get away with not paying ebay fees, so i doubt they would even want to get into filing a non paying bidder dispute because ebay would question why the shipping was so high for just a single card.

12. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Simply contact the seller and see if they are willing to cancel the transaction.

I doubt it, as people like this are basically the scum of the earth and hope for these kind of mistakes, but you can hope for the best.

I report every single extortion shipping sale that I see.

If you want to use ebay, pay the damn fees and move on. It isn't that much.

13. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    The seller is scum for setting shipping at an unacceptable and indefensible amount but your GF also must shoulder some of the blame for failing to read the details before bidding or clicking the BIN button.

I hope you can get the seller to be more accommodating on the shipping but I agree with the opinion the seller won't likely budge on it.

I won't condemn your GF for the action your considering taking in just not paying, but i will say this, she best not make a habit of it , one unpaid strike might be enough to make some sellers to disallow her bidding on their auctions.

14. Xaddion

Xaddion ...

News Credits:
    Challenge the seller to a duel. If you win, shipping is free. If you lose, you go to the Shadow Realm.

Such is life in the Duelist Kingdom.

Seriously, before I comment on the shipping, which card did she buy exactly?

15. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

These ^

16. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Your girlfriend may also find she can't bid on items for a while (a month, I think) if she gets a non-paying bidder strike. Sellers have the ability to block buyers with 1 or more such strikes.

17. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

Actually it's 2 strikes. :thumb 

18. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You would think that as the OP was typing the message out they would have realized how ridiculous it was to think that its just "ok" not to pay. Use common sense.