What happened?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Fishdirt, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When they came out Minibots were the Chibi of transformers toys and cartoons and now they're less cutsey and small and more in line with the more "serious" autobots. I still very much like this look and seeing it updated would be cool but what's the overall fan feeling? Did you guys hate this concept? Do you miss it?

2. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I think the designs for the series has changed a lot. Now its mostly the humans that are the cutesy type characters. Back in G1 the humans were more serious than the minibots.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    The minibot's original toys' vehicle modes were meant to be actual toy cars and planes and what have you. In Transformers, they're all supposed to be real vehicles, so chibi car mode just don't make any sense and don't really allow them to fit in with other toys TF figures.

4. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Both the toys and cartoon were "squashed" like a chibi in both modes...big heads, short squat bodies...so, I have no idea what you're talking about. I am going by G1 btw, I have no inkling of other series'.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ The minibots were designed before the TF franchise existed. SPLIT is right. Consult the wiki.

6. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

Actually, only the Season 1 minibots (Cliffjumper, Bumblebee, Gears, Brawn, Huffer, Windcharger, Hubcap, Bumper) pre-date Transformers. The Season 2 minibots (Powerglide, Cosmos, Warpath, etc.) were all created for the Transformers line.

7. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    exactly with Cosmos being the most obvious. Beachcomber, Wheelie...pretty sure they lasted as long as the line did.

8. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can't speak for Powerglide, Cosmos, and Warpath, not having held them in-hand, but Beachcomber and Seaspray have MUCH different proportions that cannot remotely be called chibi. And Wheelie is just flat-out weird.

Basically, you're asking why an artistic choice that was based on toy size is not universally carried through today. Whereas someone like me might ask annoying questions like "Cliffjumper and Jazz literally turn into the same car, so why the hell is one twice the size of the other?"

The minibots already exist. When their characters get updated into the size/pricing structure that exists today (or, as in comics, they are sized based on their altmode), they look different and I like that.

9. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    comber has a pretty big head and seaspray was a chubby one on the toon as well as his hovercraft being a squashed version of a similar model. He's still very much squat. Overall his aesthetic fits into the minibot look. This is a very definitive look that has disappeared that I , personally, would not mind seeing again just for the mini bots. The closest we got was an ultra class powerglide.

10. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Split is right. The pre TF minibots were supposed to mimic Takara's Choro-Q line of small chibi cars. The catch is that instead of racing around, they transform into non chibi robots. The minibots were from the Microchange subline of Microman. The way the minibots looked in the cartoon was for streamlining the animation, not to make them look chibi like. This is also why Ratchet & Ironhide have heads in the toon but their G1 toys don't.

11. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:

except, as mentioned, the line went on with the same design qualities. The intial line, namely bumblebee, cliffjumper and windcharger yes. Cartoon wise they kept the "mini" bot format. No it wasn't for easier animation , it was to fit the motif.

Now, regardless of origin opinions the original question is what happened, in your opinion, to that style of transformer? It survived long past it's Choro-Q line counterparts so obviously we don't need to go down that beaten path.

My main reasoning behind the question is although the vw reskins are nice the auto body is too long and looks kinda "wrong" for bumblebee in the classic G1. Still looks good. Also I would love to see a line of TFs doing the Gundam Extreme Chibi thing. I'd collect those in a heartbeat (I am aware of some odd prime out there).

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Uh, dude, I'm refering to G1. They don't fit in with otehr G1 bots. Take the very first episode of G1 for example, Hound and Cliffjumper go scouting, and while Hound turns into a fairly realistic (for a cartoon) depiction of a jeep, as do most bots for their vehicle, Cliffjumper turns into the nubbiest little porsche ever. Does not work. It's silly. (for vehicle modes at least)

Stuff like slightly enlarged heads and stuff are just a product of the toys being outdated, and it was harder to get "proportional" robots out of differnet vehicles and different transformations. You see stuff like that carried over all the time, like Classics Bumblebee who's smaller and more "puffy".

No, the closest we got were all those legends minibots.

13. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I'm with Split_Lip on this one. Hell, I don't even see the minibus as chibi styled. Just always thought of them being small so parents could afford them... and transformer toy technology sucked back then..

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Though it's not like they could never bring the look back, they just need to bring it back somewhere where it fits, which unfortunately is not the classics line.

15. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Possibly the new kids' line they're bringing in - Rescue Bots, wasn't it? It'd be ideal for those.

16. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:

I miss this concept. I would love to see the return of the Minibots in their original forms but maybe with updated heads/faces like they did with the TF Collection/Encore 10 Bees.

17. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yep. Gives me ideas for customs though!