what happened to our love of the toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Psychrome86, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

before i start let me say i have NOT seen the movie toy protos, and i've seen a very small pic of bumblebee and those pics of prime that were cropped and blacked out.
    i started with gen 2 but only got two toys from that era. i didn't know about beast wars until the last season.
    now...

so when did we start to care everything BUT the toys? my first tfs were green tank megatron and g2 turbofire. i remember waiting for the longest time to see what megatron transformed into on the show. finally found out, then christmas rolls around and i get the tank. somehow the thought of "show accuracy" never entered my head... i find out about beast wars and start getting whatever i can because i loved those toys. i never really played with them as characters, or even thought about getting the show characters. all i wanted were those toys. i loved sitting there just transforming them. when beast machines rolled around i became friendly with the internet and found "the underground fan community." i found websites of all the old g1 toys that i remember seeing bad colored versions of. then i realized something... those toys were horrible as far as show accuracy goes. however, i could see that those would have been so much fun to transform.

i read all this stuff about todays transformers and all i hear is show accuracy this, bright colors that, the show sucks, too many twinkies for optimus... how many of you critiqued your ironhide or rodimus back in the day? i never hear anyone having fun just transforming the toys. or praising the amazing engineering going into a little ten dollor toy. for ten dollars i could go buy a set of legos. i won't have to worry about any of the aesthetics at all. and i try not to with transformers because as long as it is two or more toys in one then i'm happy. how about you guys?

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Are we on the same board, because I sure do :)  There are people here who are pretty much only into the toys. I'm a toy junkie myself. It's not uncommon to see people ooze sugary posts of glee at pictures of new minicons. There's just not a lot to post about as far as sitting around transforming a toy goes though. "So uh, I transformed Energon Soundwave back and forth for almost an hour today. It was awesome!" Critiquing the toys on their design, detail, and construction quality and discussing the fiction surrounding them makes for longer and more interesting conversations, so we get a lot more of that. It only makes sense.

3. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I still love toys.

[​IMG]

You're too late Prime! These flowers are MINE!

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    We love toys, and love to talk about toys (at least I do)

Movie designs are the flavor of the day/week right now. There's a lot of relatively positive talk whenever something new pops up for the Classics toyline - which has no official media attached to it far as I know. People are more than willing to debate the morality of little girlie figures included with Alternator molds in the Kiss Play line. Even in discussions about media, it cames back to toys from time to time. Discussion of the creepy Legion from the Kiss-Play manga includes speculation that a repaint of remold of the Honda Alternator will follow. Discussions on Movie character designs touch on an off about their feasibility as toys. Personally, I like the Blackout toy better than the actual movie robot design. I don't mind a toy that's not show-accurate if the toy looks as good or better. Conversely, my kid-brain saw G1 Ironhide back when and went "That doesn't look anything like the show"

I Soooooo want every last Classics toy that comes down the pike.

5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love the toys that's why I'm here! In fact, I love the toys more than I cared for "show accuracy". The fact that G1 Ironhide and Ratchet didn't have heads didn't bother me.

6. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Discussions on the toys help me decide which toys to get and which to avoid. I agree that it's not all about show accuracy but it's a blast to reenact certain scenes from the show with the toys and I'd rather have them look the part to make the scene look just right. But in the end it's about how much fun it is to transform and pose in the way you want. Articulation for me is the biggest selling point for the toy these days. Classics has the look of G1 with articulation of the alternators. That's why I am more excited bout Classics than any line in recent years. Let's hope movie toys will be equally impressive.

7. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Is that a Battlescene entry?

On topic, I'm all about the toys baby. I couldn't give two flying turds about the current cartoon, or new comics, (except maybe the 2007 movie) and yet I still buy the toys. Last toys I grabbed was Sky Shadow, a totally awesome toy (except for his cavity...) and Shortround, who has his third toilet mode!!!

Come on, if I buy a Toilet Transformer thats make me a toy king.

8. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I don't think our love for toys went away.

I think we just talk about the latest Transformers news, and for now that is the movie for the most part. Right now Takara is doing the bare minimum of Transormers stuff and Hasbro is gearing up for the movie next year and giving us small filler lines. There's just not that much to talk about on the toy front.

You can expect to see a flurry of toy talk from Botcon a month from now. We should be seeing wave 2 of Classics, probably more Titanium, probably the spring 07 Alternators, possibly early movie sculpts, and who knows what else.

9. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I'm totally with you, Psychrome86. My first TF was Ironhide back in '84 and I just took him for what he was! And you're right, the fact that his bot mode looked essentially nothing like his cartoon counterpart didn't even phase me. I know, in this day and age, with the newer toy technology and all, we really do expect to see toys that are as close to being identical to their show representations as possible. But, I feel like perfectionism nowadays amongst many of the fans, or at least a very vocal minority, is dragging the industry down, emotionally anyway. I hope the new movie goes well, and I don't really care what the toys look like: they're new TFs for Pete's sake! Regardless, I'll be one of the first in line to see the movie.

The TF toys, in my opinion, are of better quality than they have ever been; I hope that continues. I'm just trying to look forward to the future, instead of dreading it.

10. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I still love the toys! I am all about the toys! The last TF show I cared about was RID. Armada lost me in 4 episodes, energon in 1 and cybertron was decent, however once it was taken off kids wb and put back on early AM on cartoon network I stopped watching it. The last show I LOVED was Beast Machines....yes I am saying I Love beast machines, and wars and G1 the most.

I am with you about back in the day, I didn't care that the toys and the show didn't look similar, the animators took artistic license and made them look good. It never bothered me in the least. Even today, it still would not bother me. Where they toys do resemble the shows better, they are still not spot on. The show is just a way to get new kids to buy in, and I don't need to be convinced anymore, I love Transformers! :D 

In fact, my favorite line to collect is alternators and the former Binaltechs. They don't even have a show but are the best Transformers to date! Don't worry, once botcon rolls through, there will be much to talk about other then the Movie, I hope.

11. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love the toys.. I got over 800 of them and have no plans on stopping for a long time.

12. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

My attitude remains exactly the same as it's been ever since I was a three year old.

I love good toys, I hate crap ones.

Phazer

13. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Nay. Just a random picture I took when I was bored.

14. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

same here...especially Armada when repaints of everthing came out...even the crappy ones.

so now i just buy Alternators (even the repaints) cause all Alts (except the Scion boX) are awesome looking.

15. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was generally accepting of more things about G1 toys as a kid admittedly. It didn't bother me that Bumblebee didn't have a face like the one from the cartoon, but toys like Ironhide and Ratchet stretched it too far.

There were a few toys I thought were cool, but a little disappointing for not living up to their "image" from the cartoon. (in a way that bugged me more as a kid than as an adult) I wished the Constructicons were bigger, since as toys they were smaller than the regular-size Autobots individually, and eye-to-eye with Shockwave when combined.

On the other hand, as a kid I really loved some toys that might barely hold my interest today. My example is Scamper, the little black car sidekick that came with Metroplex. It was practically a non-entity toy-wise, but I loved it because I thought it looked neat, and I could transform it as fast as they could in the show.

Love for toys never goes away, but sometimes it changes forms over time. For some, the complaints and perfectionism is their expression of love for the toys (as in "That toy would be PERFECT if they had ..." )

16. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I praise the engineering tons. :D  I just haven't picked up any new stuff in ages, mostly because my area intermittantly sucks at getting stuff for months.

17. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got back into it because of the toys. The toys are the best part of TFs. The story and show accuracy are just gravy. And, yeah, back in the day, I did complain about Ironhide and Ratchet, and how stupid they were. Made the kid down the street who owned them cry. Meanwhile, I had a Starscream, Thundercracker, and some minibots who looked a lot like they did on the show. :)  And yeah, I'll sit around for hours fooling with my Alts and BTs, or maybe my 'Primes.' This week, due to a recent box arriving, is week of the dragons, as I'll get out RID Megs and Galvatron, Scourge (and LOC Scourge), Cryotek, TM2 Megs, BM Megs, and a green Big Lots KO of TM2 Megs, and have a lot of fun. Maybe I'll hunt online for a cheap Snapdragon, BWNeo Galvatron, or Hungurr just to add to the set. And I think the movie toys are gonna rock, and I'm hoping for some new and different transformation engineering.

-Tony!

18. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like my toys. If those toys happen to have a good toon to add to the character that is just icing on the cake. I have several Energon toys but didn't care for the show, same with Armada. Galaxy Force sold me on Crumplezone.

19. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

it's good to see our loyalty is still in the right place. i was worried that all we were chewing on was the icing and the gravy. maybe i'm just getting impatient while waiting for the new toys to come out. maybe i'm tired of walking by primus knowing i can't afford him right now. sometimes it seems like it's just the natural thing to get the toys but talk about everything else. it also reminds me of kids in toys r us who complain, "that's not the right color!" "this one is dfferent from that one". made me realize that the only thing that changed was our ages and mommy is called hasbro now ;) 

i drink to you guys tonight. keep it real.

20. Alareth

Alareth Member

They tell me I'm too old for toys. I say children are too young to appreciate them.