What happened to Breakdown to make him change so drastically?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by meirelle, Aug 27, 2011.

1. meirelle

meirelle Sea of Shelfwarmers

Breakdown in TF: Prime is vastly different than the Breakdown we saw in WFC. I wonder what happened to him that changed his personality so drastically?

Way back on Cybertron, Breakdown was whiny, somewhat paranoid, and seeminly lacking in confidence. And now, he's, like, the epitome of badass.

Do you think they'll address this in TFP, or do you think it can just be summed up as "well, he just grew up?"

2. lordjimmybob

lordjimmybob Well-Known Member

I thought they would address this, but they said they had creative liberty when it came to characters and timelines. They simply changed him to fit a role they needed filled.

3. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    He got a body upgrade, and a big boost of confidence.

4. 13 Primes

13 Primes Well-Known Member

I thought They said that TFP and War for cybertron are separate continuums?

5. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prime to WFC is like the G1 cartoon to the G1 comic. So yeah they're not truly apart of the same continuation.

6. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    They are in the same continuity, but it's.... complicated.

7. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

This, or a question like this, seems to keep coming up every so often since this series has started. I'm starting to wonder if someone should put up a sticky.

TF: Prime and the WFC games have nothing to do with each other, canonically. They just use similar story concepts.
    Hasbo(Might have been Archer) stated that they had this bright idea(Sarcasm!) that all the new TF media from here on in will all have what I believe they called the "blink test."(?) In that things like WFC and TFP are not actually connected, but at a glance it all seems like it goes together.

Basically, WFC Breakdown and TFP Breakdown are two different characters.

8. ken8kuhletz08

ken8kuhletz08 JKC

News Credits:
    Yeah, like what they did with WheelJack. :) 

9. Cevel

Cevel Well-Known Member

Exactly. Transformers Prime is to War For Cybertron as G1 cartoon is to G1 Marvel Comics*. Some story elements and characters are basically the same, but others are taken in completely different directions.

* - I'm not saying that the G1 cartoon is anywhere near on the same level of quality as Transformers: Prime, of course.

10. lordjimmybob

Yep. But I think they said he's a mechanic and we just haven't seen that side of him yet.

11. StarryAqua

StarryAqua Former fandom follower

News Credits:
    WFC came before Prime. It originally took place in G1 before and after the game was made. Hasbro then decides to connect WFC and Prime, thus Breakdown is supposed to be the same character. People may disagree with this fact but their opinions practically don't matter, unless they work for Hasbro. Refering to the topic of this thread, no one knows yet. Maybe Knock Out had something to do with it.

12. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    I went to grade school with three different guys named Mike. I'll run with that as the reason for Breakdown being a different Breakdown.

13. meirelle

meirelle Sea of Shelfwarmers

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I'd always just assumed that TFP and WFC being in the same continuity meant that they were in the same universe. I see that's not the case now.

14. Skywarp2413

Skywarp2413 Well-Known Member

Just because TF: Prime has dark energon in it, doesn't mean it's part of WFC continuity.

Now to respond to the thread's title.
    Not one character has any resemblance to their WFC counterparts in any way.

In Transformers Prime:
    There is no Steroidimus Prime.
    There is no G1-esque Bumblebee.
    There is no pink car Arcee.
    There is no Ironhide.
    There is no traingleformer Starscream.
    There is no Tank Megatron.
    There is no truck Soundwave.
    There is no car Breakdown.
    Need I go on?

WFC got its roots from G1 and Prime got its roots from WFC. None of the three are canonical to each other in any way possible.
    Thread debunked.

15. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I don't care what they say, I will never accept Prime and WFC as the same continuity. It ain't happening.

16. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    One of the best quotes regarding this ongoing debate comes from TFWiki! :thumb 

Basically for TFPrime if they want to use elements from WFC and Exodus, and it's in the TF/Hasbro Bible, great, but it's the TFP teams call if they want to "mix it up!"

The show runners were given the "Binder of Revelation", a near 400-page production bible that Hasbro had been working on since the movies, that combined elements of the most popular continuities. The show's title was based on the desire to create a master continuity and a literal Prime continuity.

As part of the aligned continuity family with War for Cybertron and Exodus, the producers strove to maintain many of the common elements (eg. Optimus and Megatron's past friendship, Dark Energon's origins as Unicron's spawn, Bumblebee sharing his film counterpart's backstory), but were allowed contradictions if it served the storytelling.

By using the mammoth story bible, the writers could plan events years in advance. The large number of episodes per season meant they could pace and establish characters during season 1 slowly, while saving the more momentous, less stand alone episodes that delved into the backstory for season 2.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  17. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Besides, that might have been another, unrelated guy called Breakdown.

18. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    There are like at least 15 guys with the name James in my school, so like 15 people share my name. So, I can also go along with there being two Transformers that share the same name.

19. StarryAqua

StarryAqua Former fandom follower

News Credits:
    That's the explanation I have followed from the beginning. Unfortunately, not everyone plans to accept that without a fight.

20. lordjimmybob

400 pages of back story and potential plots plus the creative freedom of new content? Imagine how long this series could last.