What happened to albums?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eyeballkid, Mar 23, 2007.

1. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

It is 2007, and all I hear about are songs...what happened to albums?

Did the Ipod, or other such devises kill this medium....?

Yes I know that there are a few good good albums out now (type o negatine has a good one!)

Ryan Adams made 3 in one year!

Point is...is good music THAT underground?

(i like the smashing pumpkins....is any of this emo stuff any good?)

2. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I guess what happened is studios discovered they could make more money by getting an "artist" to record 1 - 3 "good" songs then stick them on an "album" with 9 or so shithouse songs. Then all they had to do was release the good songs as singles and their profits would increase.

3. 138 Scourge

138 Scourge WE R 138

There's some artists that still know what an album's about.

Electric Six, for instance, released two albums last year. And, apparently, will release one this year. When every track's good enough that you can't tell what the single will be, that's a great sign.

For stuff what's more popular, the availability of downloaded music makes downloading a single, maybe, preferable than taking a chance on an album. Me, I usually dowload a couple songs, and if I like 'em, buy the album. And any subsequent albums.

Most of the artists I'm into (Six, Clutch, Queens of the Stone Age, White Stripes) still seem to make music to be on an album, not just make a couple singles for airplay, and a bunch of filler.

I dunno if it exactly qualifies as "emo", but Brand New regularly puts out good ALBUMS, the new one, "God and the Devil are Fighting Inside Me" works as a whole record more than it does just a couple singles.

EDIT: "Emo" usually isn't very good, but stuff that is lumped in there sometimes is. Brand New's one example, Coheed and Cambria (another band that knows what albums are about) is too, but I don't know if they fit. Long Live ROCK!!!

4. honestgabe

honestgabe I

I don't know if I see it that way. It all depends on where you get your information and stuff. I don't watch MTV, listen to commercial radio, or read Entertainment Weekly. So I'm not really influenced or see how mainstream media views the album and how it has embraced the single.
    And I'm not trying to say "Oh look at me I'm some sort of hipster. I read Pitchfork" (by the way I hate Pitchfork for the most part) But that if you want something good, something of substance, quality and integrity, you really have to make the effort to seek it out. Its not going to fall in your lap or be shoved down your throat by big business. You really just have to look for it and weed through everything to find it
    I mean look at what awesome albums were just released last week!
    Armcahair Apocrypha by Andrew Bird

We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank by Modest Mouse (features Johnny Marrs of The Smiths woo!)

Living With The Living by Ted Leo and The Pharmacists

Ricky Scaggs and Bruce Hornsby

Sound of Silver by LCD Soundsystem,

Abattoir Blues Tour by Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds

Let Me Introduce My Friends by I'm From Barcelona

Spider Talk by Red Crayola

5. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Shuffle play killed the album for most people. I have a lot of friends both online and in the real world that NEVER will listen to an album. Some of them are music creators themselves. One of them is actually awesome at building an album himself. Yet his iPod is forever set on shuffle play. It makes me want to scream bloody murder. New artists don't have any incentive to build albums because we're starting to approach the day of shuffle-play raised artists. Or sure, they probably knew about albums at some point in their life. But when you haven't sat down and listened to an entire album in five years, what would be the point of creating one?

I for one listen to albums. Even on my iPod. Whole album or forget it. Every once in a great while I'll manually pick one song to listen to just because I can't get it out of my head, but most of the time it's an album at a time.

Shuffle play is evil, and should be stopped. To quote Dimebag before his untimely demise in his talk about buying records then listening to them straight through while reading the lyrics, "Respect your music man."

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Oh HELL yeah. Electric Six FTMFW.

7. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

Let me give the other side of this issue as a casual music fan. I celebrate the end of albums. I have probably purchased 10 albums in the last 2-3 years and I would say that I was disappointed by 7 of them. Frankly, many (if not most) bands don't have enough good material for a whole album. I would much rather buy their two good songs on iTunes than waste money for two good songs and 8 crappy ones.

And, again as a casual music fan, I have never heard of any of the bands you guys mentioned other than the White Stripes. I think you have be be an avid music fan to get into those bands and to enjoy the whole album. There's a reason why top 40 music is top 40 - a much larger group of people, including casual fans, enjoy the music.

Let me say that I'm not trying to ridicule your opinions or tastes in music. My brother is a hardcore music fan and he always makes CD's for me. Frankly, very rarely do I like more than a couple of songs on these CD's, but he LOVES them.

8. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    What makes more money for artists : shows or cds? If it's shows, then full albums are mandatory because they need to put non-single songs in their sets anyway.

9. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I partially blame dross like American Idol.

Why pick a talented artist with a mind of their own when you can just use a hack who is easily replaced with another (younger) hack the next year.

10. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

When I had an mp3 player I admit I used it more for single songs I like. I really didn't like it and kind of missed playing an album and listening to it all the way through. Some of the best music I've heard is in album form (Qudropheina by the who is a great example of this).

But some bands are good with albums others are not, I agree with the whole American Idol helped kill the album side of music. Though mp3's are still as a whole really young so there is hope that someone will find a way to make an album work in the world of digital media

11. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    I know with the artists that I listen to, shows DEFINITELY do not help them make a profit, and their albums do. Last concert I went to was Pillar, who is pretty big name in their genre of music and saw them for only $12 and that included four opening bands. I really love Pillar in the fact they strive to make an album and if they get singles from it, great. They always make a behind the scenes DVD and you can see how much effort they put into making the entire album sound good.

Ever since my husband and I got the Mustang with the cd player I stopped listening to mainstream radio and began to listen to my cds more. He gets annoyed listening to an entire album and prefers the radio since there is a mix of songs he can listen to. Me, I LOVE the albums. I listen to albums so much, I can tell you what song is what number on the cd of that particular artist. I suffer from a serious memory problem, forget what I do the day before most of the time, but with albums I find, if I don't shuffle them, I enjoy the music much more, since I actually remember the lyrics and the song orders. This is just me. :p 

I definitely have to agree that the ipod and other mp3 players killed the albums. Why buy an entire cd at $12 when you can just buy one good song off of that cd for 99 cents. I know several people who do this. Sometimes, if I'm listening to a cd at church while working on a project, somebody will come up to me saying: "Wow, I really love this song. Whose it by?" I tell them and they will then go: "Really? I only had one song from them, might have to buy the album now." What I'm saying is that, most people don't give the whole album a good listen and just snatch the first available song. Don't fault those people in any way, they can do whatever they want.

I don't own an mp3 player or an ipod, hubby keeps telling me to save up for one, but personally I like my little cd player better. :) 

12. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I listen to more albums now that I have an mp3 player in my car than I did when I had a cd player.

I love having the entire Beatles and Led Zeppelin collections on two discs.

13. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    I guess it all depends on what you listen to, and even more on what you listen with. I still buy albums because they sound better in my car than MP3 over an FM-transmitter, and I only buy for bands that I know I'm gonna like the b-sides as much as the singles. And the real audio geeks, the ones who still use vinyl, you know they're not just listening to the singles.

But hell, it's always kind of been that way. Look at the popularity of single records back in the '60s.

14. honestgabe

honestgabe I

Actually, its tours that artist make their money.

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Every once in awhile I'll buy a CD and all the songs are good, but 9 times out fo 10 I'll get a CD because A) It's a band I already like or B) I liked a song I heard. It's too bad, I miss the days where artists didn't record a few 'radio' songs then the rest of the album is 'filler'. Give me more Appetite for Destruction!!!!!!!!!

Agreed 100% I've though American Idol was B.S. since it started.

16. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I think this is all being a little overstated. Airplay has always relied on The Single; it's just that FM is now only one of many ways in which that occurs. The Single still appears on The Album. Because most artists do make most of their money by touring, The Album is necessary because you can't go on tour and only play 4 songs.

I'm about as blissfully unaware of popular music right now as I've been since '89-91, but as far as I am aware, nobody is out there just releasing the occasional single. Timberlake, Clarkson and all the others who aspire to be them, even including American Idol castoffs now, release albums...from which, the most 'radio-friendly' single is carefully selected. That 'radio' no longer really means just radio is a minor point; the role of the single, to promote the album, remains pretty much unchanged.

Bear in mind that sales of singles on physical media used to be a big deal, be it 7", 12", cassettes or CDs. One by one they faded/gave way to the next format, which is really all that's happened yet again. If CD/album sales have been lagging, sales of CD singles must have been dead in the water for several years now. The ability to download the single as an MP3 for $1 or whatever has just raised the prominence of singles back to their former level.

17. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Before I collected toys, I collected CD's. Boy that was stupid, but at any rate, I found that if I bought a mainstream album because there was a song that I liked, I would be disappointed with the rest of the disk. One hit wonder was coined for a reason.

I figure that since the 90's music producers and labels are really the ones that are in charge as such will set up a brand new face with a good producer for a few hand picked songs from successful writers and there you have it- a shinny new hit. It would be packaged with some crappy ass songs and sell it to the kids for that one hit.

I have had a lot more luck with indy bands as they care what songs they put on the disk.

Truth be told- I haven’t spend $ on a cd in years.

18. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

That is true. Many artists get such a small fraction of the sales of albums & singles that they do make more from touring. Of course, to do that they have to be able to perform live consistently. Artists still need to record albums and be able to perform enough songs to warrant having a concert.

The music industry still wants to sell you whole albums too, those aren't going away. It's just that now they prefer to sell it electronically because then they don't have to reproduce the album themselves. The buyer is now has to use their own discs or if they want to listen to it on a cd player and any album art they might want to print (do they include art with album downloads?)

Personally I'm old school when it comes to my listening preference. I buy most of my music on vinyl records (yes they still make them, just in limited quantities) and listen to them often. It truly is the best way to listen to music next to hearing it live.

:dj 

19. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was hoping this thread was about vinyls.
    :redface2: 

20. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

For me it depends on the band. If I really like the band, then I'll pick up the album and listen to it all the way through as I thought they intended it to be. But I'll also pick up singles of bands or singers I'm not diehard about just because I think its fun music to listen to. An example of this would be Ice Ice Baby. Its a crap song, by a crap singer, but I still love to listen to it and could care less about any of Vanilla's other music.

On the other hand, bands like STP or Dave Matthews Band, I will listen to the whole album. STP's Tiny Music is probably one of my favorite albums to listen to from beginning to end.

On the mention of making money, I think it was Dave Matthews that was one of the top paid performers for the last few years because they tour like crazy and they can recreate the same sound if not better at their live shows compared to the studio release.