What happend to The Transformers Spotlights?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by LastDecepticon, Sep 7, 2017.

?

Would u like spotlight back on a monthly run?

1. Yes bring spotlight back.

2. No I don't need it.

3. Don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. LastDecepticon

LastDecepticon Well-Known Member

Sow here's the thing. I loved spotlight metroplex, wheelie, Arce, sixshot,Sound wave, Shockwave, Grimlock, and so much more. Written by Furman and great artist like Guido Guidi, Robby Russo, Alex Milne and so much more. Why did it stop? Dark Cybertron was ok. Last stand of the Wreckers was great and Stormbringer was awesome. What the hell is going on now? I need spotlight back. Stories with warpath, iguanus, Trypticon and sow much bots out there , the possibilty is endless. So any body now why they stopped? Sales or some other bullshit. Amd would u like it back? And what bot would u like to see in a stand a lone stories?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  2. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Sales. Retailers historically order way less of an average Spotlight than they do the main series. They were cool for us, but clearly not financially sustainable, or they'd be doing them.

In the North American comic world, hardcore fans often talk about wanting one shots and limited series and very specifically, anthology titles; the idea being you can float lesser known characters in ongoing stories anchored by maybe one well-known character. "It's Superman as the lead feature, and then 8 pages of the Golden Guardian, 8 pages of the Eradicator and 8 pages of Clark Kent's doorman!"

These books, altho' they provide more bang for your buck and are a cool way to spotlight (no pun intended) lesser known characters almost always sell terribly.

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I hated the Spotlights. They muddled the reading order... I had no idea which ones were meant to be read before which, or between which regular series issues, or which ones furthered the ongoing plot and which were just irrelevant diversions. It's fine now that they've been collected and you just read the collection. But when they were on the stands originally, it was a mess.

Just have an issue of a regular series that focuses on a particular character one month. You get all of the benefit of a Spotlight with none of the confusion.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Format change is also a big reason. Spotlights worked as well as they did because the IDW Universe began as one writer's work, with the various miniseries telling the main story of the Autobots and Decepticons on Earth, while the Spotlights were able to fill in history about the war and plant seeds for future stories. But with the current format, I'm not sure that the Spotlight model would work long-term. Hell, Transformers couldn't even sustain a third ongoing series.

I could potentially see Spotlights returning for a short run (maybe six issues?) as a way to test out new talent, but not written or drawn by the main creative teams.

5. Soundwave902

Soundwave902 The Lone Survivor

I liked the Spotlight, even though I read them after they came out. The issues (usually) gave insight to parts of a character's mind we have not seen

As for characters that need a Spotlight:
    Starscream: What did he do during the siege of Luna 2?
    Springer: How exactly did Kup influence Ostaros?
    Brainstorm: How did he destroy the Hydrus system?
    Sovereign: How did he gain his new body?
    Tarn: How did Damus/Glitch become so influenced by Megatron's words so as to go as far as he did
    Whirl: Why did a crazed psychopath decide to become a teacher?

• Like Like x 4
  6. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Wrecker

I think they need a nautica spotlight because she became a far more important character than i thought she would and i would like to know more about her backstory.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    The only bad one was Mirage because it has no place at all in any timeline and nor is it referenced again anywhere else.

8. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Did you forget Arcee?

9. GogoDG

GogoDG Come and help me somebody quicklyyyyyyahhhhhhh!

Twitter:
    Why don't we get a spotlight issue of an ongoing series (something like a spotlight: Overlord in Lost Light) It will act as a self contained story plus a background to the said character.

• Like Like x 1
  10. redwolfbear

redwolfbear Well-Known Member

Facebook:
  11. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The last arc of Optimus Prime has basically been that. Spotlight Jazz, Spotlight Sideswipe, Spotlight Galvatron.

12. GogoDG

GogoDG Come and help me somebody quicklyyyyyyahhhhhhh!

Twitter:
    Exactly. Plus Spotlight: Arcee pt.2 and the Thirteen.

13. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    It had repercussions in the story that are still felt to this day. We don't have to like exactly how the original Spotlight story was told, but I'll take Spotlight Arcee over a throwaway meaningless issue like Spotlight Mirage.

14. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Wanna touch things I don't feel

News Credits:
    I could have sworn the Mirage issue was mentioned by him recently. Who knows, maybe they'll surprise us and have it show up again.

15. Soundwave902

Soundwave902 The Lone Survivor

Spotlight: Mirage was mentioned in Combiner Wars as one of the visions that Mirage had

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

Barber will resolve the dangling ends of IDW continuity or die, eh?

• Like Like x 1
  17. cashel

cashel Well-Known Member

i heard from an inside source that idw's higher-ups have asked for more spotlights. i think this is great and, personally, wouldn't mind seeing some creators outside the tf bubble to do them (with editors that make sure they don't contradict historical continuity) such as kieth giffen, parkhouse, byrne, GEOF SENIOR, ... the list goes on.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Wrecker

Also spotlight cliffjumper was pretty useless. They never mentioned that later on did they?

19. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Wanna touch things I don't feel

News Credits:
    It was cool as shit though.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Wrecker

Actually i guess it kind of had some use other than being cool by giving us some insight into how the cybertronians can speak and understand what alien races say, but that is it i think

• Like Like x 1