What got you into G1 as a child?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Meggamus, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Meggamus

Meggamus I want FOC figures!!

This is mainly for those of you who were a child in the 80s. What made you like g1? Was it just because of giant robots which changed into cars? Or were there exciting story lines? Or was it something else?

Since I didn't grow up in the 80s , I jst wanted to know what got you into them

2. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    The toys. I have seen the media much later and it was mainly bonus. The fact that vehicles turned into robots was cool enough and of course the designs of the robots. Although as I have seen the cartoon later I wished the toys would look more like the cartoon. And I wished the comics would have looked like the cartoon.

3. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

The toys for me as well. Ironhide was my first tf back in '84. I was instantly hooked. I remember playing with him with a friend, I used the bot and he used his battle platform or whatever his arse end was called. We didnt even know what the bad guys were called at the time.

4. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I collected Micronauts in the 70s and Diakron toys in the early 80s, so Transformers seemed to be a logical toy line to look at.

5. TheosPrime

TheosPrime Complete Amateur

Ebay:
    Big freaking robots firing lasers at one another!? Yes please!

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    The toys. My first encounter (that I'm aware of - maybe I saw some previously and it didn't register in my brain) with TF was in 1984 and was a kid who used to visit his aunt a few doors up from my house and I'd often go and play with him. His parents were fairly minted so he always had new toys. One day he had a red robot that changed into a car. I thought it was cool. I'd been heavily into Star Fleet (the puppet show, not the Star Trek thing) and loved red robots because of the Dai-X (the robot in my sig).
    A week or so later I spotted a new comic at the newsagents with some robots fighting on the cover called Transformers and got my mum to buy it for me. When I read the comic I realised it was from the same thing as the robot toy that kid had and what I'd played with was Sideswipe.
    From there I continued to collect the comic and got my first TF (a one-armed Brawn who I got in a swap at school) a short while later.

7. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Seeing the cartoon on TV, and a certain fellow in my sig.

8. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    The sheer awesomeness of 2 toys in 1 plus an amazing cartoon.

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Didn't grow up but since most Transformers fan would always go back to how great G1 was, i decided to watch it.

The first episode I saw I think was Starscream's brigade on Youtube in 2006.

10. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

I was born in 84. So what got me into it was the animated movie. My parents were awesome about finding cartoons for my younger sis and I to watch. Saw that and then it was over. Also my dad. He got into it with my sis and I when were kids.

To this very day he still walks by me or my TF infested room and yells out the universal greeting.

11. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

If I remember correctly I came in halfway through the episode S.O.S Dinobots and was hooked instantly!
    That would have been in late 84 or maybe 85 whenever it was Sky channel showed Transformers in Europe.
    I don't think I knew of the Transformers prior to watching the second half of that episode. I got Diaclone or KO's or something of Jazz and Trailbreaker around that time. The first real Transformer I got was Dirge <3

12. squawkbot

squawkbot Active Member

Im an '82 born. This is kinda a funny question to me. Its like asking why the power rangers franchise is ongoing and still so popular.

Basically, the toys were fun to play and it was backed with a cartoon that appealed to the young child mind, *dont try to watch it now and understand it, you can't unless you're between 4-7 yrs old*. Plus there were combiners. Big robots are always popular, even today.

The only really good story in G1, imo, is the animated movie. Prime rolling into autobot city and frickin' wrecking every decepticon to the tune of Stan Bush ala 'Touch' is EPIC.

"Megatron must be stopped... no matter the cost." still gives me goosebumps.

13. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was ten in 1984 and already interested in Gobots. Then, a couple weeks before the show started my cousin brought Soundwave to school and offered to trade him to me for Leader-1 or maybe some Star Wars figures. Soundwave didn't have any of the weapons, but I was instantly hooked on TFs.

+-MWG-+

14. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    Mother dearest.
    She was into TFs before I was born ('91) and had the movie and random episodes recorded by the time I was born.

15. seali_me

seali_me Dakilang Mandirigma

2 toys in 1 with an amazing cartoon that didn't recycle character animation cells and the intro

16. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Cartoon / toys /comics

17. Optimus Clyde

Optimus Clyde Space Trucker

News Credits:
    The commercials got me excited for all of it before anything actually happened. The toys hit first and I fell in love (GoBots?! What's that?) and that's still "the source" for me when it comes to the story behind it all. For months before I discovered a copy of the comic, I built up the back story in my own imagination from the bios, tech specs and other packaging lore. The comic book endeared the mythos to me forever when it described The Transformers as "sentient beings" that sprang forth from "naturally occurring gears and pulleys". (I LOVE that the Transformers comic made me learn what "sentient" even meant. That rocks!) Then, of course, it was all over when I finally got to see the show. It was the most awesome thing ever to my eleven-year-old mind; not quite as "intellectual" as reading the comic, but more exciting and, well, animated. :D 

18. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

i love giant dinobots - i got only 3 dinobots toys - i watch more of meet eye mini saga 1 time on tv

19. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

Robots fighting robots. I could less about the storyline and all the stuff that happened when robots weren't fighting and still do. I don't care about character development, I want to see robots fighting robots. If I want a good storyline there are plenty of adult books to read for a good story.

20. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Compared to what we had at the time, the toys were a revolution.

The best of pre G1 was probably GI Joe, GoBots , HeMan Legos, Tinkertoys, Hotwheels to name a few. The real good stuff like Robotech was mostly import from Japan, which I did'nt know much about or how to get.
    Just having a plane ,train or automobile toy was fun, but to see it emerge into frikn Optimus for the first time was mindblowing as a kid. The alt modes were so realistic.
    The toys almost glowed when they were in the pegs, sitting next to all that other crap we would've been stuck with for Christmas.
    Christmas also played a huge role. Getting a huge lump of G1 at once like that is something you could never forget.

Then there was Skyfire/Jetfire in 85...it was all over by then.