What glues are good for mending plastic?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dinobot747, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    I was transforming my RTS Wreck-Gar the other day, and when I went to fold back a handlebar, being as careful as always to not break off the handle, the piece broke off! This also happened with the first one I got, but that time I had no idea the bars had little nubs and they [TJ Maxx] also had more Wreck Gars in stock, so I just exchanged it. This time, however, there's no more to exchange with. So, back to the topic at hand, what are some glues that are safe to use on TFs? Preferably glues that will hold strong for a good while.

Man, I have NOT had good luck with TFs recently. First Ironhide's bumper, the Skyhammer's MechTech weapon's post (still pretty bummed about that one), and now this!

2. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

Not Glues! That's like saying Armors or Deers! I need Glues to put my TF's back together.

As for the adhesive you want for this particular problem, try an Epoxy 2 part system. Don't even think Super Glue (cyanoacrylate) for this type of fix, or you'll be sorry ;) 

3. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    You could always just try to weld it together... even if there is a 99.9989% chance of burning the figure.

4. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Life pincher is the closest, I use plasticweld from the automotive section of walmart, I've used a lot of different glue, none have worked solidly other than that

5. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Because none of you are doing it right. I know the area of breakage and as long as it breaks "OK" with most of the plastic around the pin intact, you can do the pinning technique with a pin vise.

Get a pin vise and get the proper sized bit. Carefully drill a hole in the plastic and another hole where the plastic will meet. Cut to size a straight piece of paperclip, apply super glue to one end, apply a small amount onto the contact surface of the plastic and the other end, and apply. Hold until try. The pin will hold it together and you can mess with it quite a bit and it won't come off.

6. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Any chance we can get pics as a tutorial? This sounds interesting.

7. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    model cement melts *bonds* the joints of plastic edges together. ( i had to use this to fix the crack in the crotch joint of energon sixshot)

does not look pretty(melted looking a bit) but it has not cracked anymore...although i have not tried to transform him...he just holds an epic pose on a shelf now.

8. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    huh i had a arm ball joint break of one of my tfcc nexus prime limbs and used zapagap to glue it, this was the a10 one, this happened the year it came out
    so far no issue at all with mine and its been years

9. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Pinning is a pretty basic modelling technique for scale models and miniatures. Here's a good beginners guide to pinning I found on the web: Hand Cannon Online » Blog Archive » Tutorial: Basics

10. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Your hobby shop will likely have glue for plastic model kits which you can use on plastic as well. You might want to stray away from some of the tube type cements as they will likely cause a mess.

11. gunthetra

gunthetra Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Couldn't you just get rid of the excess with some really, really fine grit sandpaper?

12. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    except you're using crazy glue, pin it with plastic weld and it'd be perfect, i have plastic weld holding on pegs and sides of peg holes with zero visible damage, that are a tight fit and have been transformed multiple times without issue,

all parts i have used superglue on have rebroken quite easily, i threw out the superglue i had, doesn't hold on hasbro plastic.

and on the handlebar for rts wreck-gar, it's pretty tiny for a pin

13. LifePincher

Pinning is great if you do it right. I used a push pin and cut it etc and for this below, it does not work.
    After my KO Menasor incident, I used epoxy resin, which was still not adequate..

Original story...... My computer desk hutch fell on my KO Menasor. The legs were out of commission and the heads snapped off at the leg.

The Menasor ordeal and will never happen again!
    2 part epoxy is your best bet. Just be sure to clean it up as best you can before it sets. Grab a razor and pick off the 'lil stuff.

I

14. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you get glue from a hobby shop, be sure it's for abs plastic! That's what transformers are made of, and the brand called plastruct worlds wonderfully. I usually do super glue between the parts and plasruct around the seem of the beak, and it will never come apart. Pinning, as planckepoch suggested will work just as well, and is probably more sturdy than my method though.

15. LifePincher

This matters not if there's not material to grab to.
    If anyone wants tips, PM me. I'm tired now.

16. LifePincher

It's funny, really it is.
    I've actually worked in the business of models and finishing them. (Not those models ;) )
    What's a drill and what's super glue?

If anyone wants real tips....... PM me.

17. prime roller

prime roller introspective reflector

News Credits:
    I use Zap-a-gap. It's a strong model building cyanoacrylate. There is also another fluid that can either be sprayed or eye-dropped onto the clue to instantly cure it. However, this instant-curing liquid has a warning that says it has been proven to cause cancer in the state of California.

The Zap-a-gap holds solidly enough to continue work after a few seconds anyway, without the cancer stuff.

18. zy80

zy80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My wreckgar broke as well at the handle due to the nub, so I went ahead and used superglue. Used a pair of pliers that kept the broken part in place overnight while the superglue sets in. I remembered having to keep moving the handlebar initially though to prevent the handlebar from being stuck.

- Pics 1 and 2 shows the end result: it looks all right for me, but to prevent it from happening again, 'de-nubbed' the handlebar using a pair of nail clippers

- Pic 3 shows the superglue I used.

19. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One tip on superglues...

They are ineffective when pressed together. Glue and place the pieces together without clamping. Air and moisture need to get in to cause a secure hold.

Also, Superglue almost instantly cures in water.