What gfx card should I get?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Big_Daddy, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.<br><b><font color=blue>Bi

News Credits:
    I'm currently in the process of building a new computer to replace my old onethat has a fried motherboard...

I was thinking of building a fairly decent computer as I like to play games ever now and then. I bought a new motherboard and it doesn't support SLI AFAIK, but only ATI Crossfire. The question is, what will give me maximum performance? Two ATI cards which I then Crossfire, or one badass nVidia card?

2. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

I say wait until the new nvidia chip comes out that should knock down the prices of everythng on the market allowing you to get two high end ati GPUs at a much lower price then you can get them now. That said I have been very satisfied with my eVGA Geforce 8800 GTS 640mb card

3. Big_Daddy

News Credits:
    ah, yes, but I need a new computer like, NOW ;)  So what's my best bet right now?

4. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Crossfire = LOVE

Then end.

But I've been a Radeon whore for years.

5. Big_Daddy

News Credits:
    don't the Crossfire cards generate a lot of heat? Wouldn't be a problem with proper cooling though, but still :) 

6. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

The price for one of those evga 8800's has dropped to 200.00 lately. I'd say get one of those.

7. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    2 ati 3850s in crossfire

8. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I would say to go with one of the higher 8800 series over the crossfire. I hear that dual graphics card performance can be really fishy sometimes. Although its been awhile since I've been paying attention, so Im not sure if its been fixed via drivers or a hardware revision or something.

Note: I would normally be a ATI guy but Im using a 8800gtfx for gaming now. So far so good.

9. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    GeForce 8800GT 512MB for around 2000Sek, it kick's ass and is almost as fast as 8800GTX, also you get less power consumption, less heat etc.
    Only go for Crossfire or SLI if you want to play in superhigh resolutions 1600x1200/1680x1050 as minimum and with lots of FSAA & AF.
    I run 2xGF7900GTO 512mb cards in SLI, I only did so because it could do it very cheap. As for nVidia's SLI it's been around for 4years now and works flawlessly.

10. Heatbag

Heatbag Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    go for a HIS Iturbo HD3870! Nice high core and mem clocks and it's still got that DHES or direct heat exhaust heatsink for those that dunno. And heat isn't really a problem on the HD3800 series anyways. You'll most likely find a 3850 or 3870 cheaper then a 8800gt or gts.

11. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Don't forget about the power and cooling requirements for a crossfire or sli setup. Yes, the cards do have heatsinks and fans, but you need some airflow in the case for it to make a difference.

And just as SureShot90 mentioned, crossfire and sli's advantage is at really high resolutions(which if you're using an LCD you wouldn't be using unless that's the native resolution of your monitor anyway). With that in mind, you need to look at the cost of 2 cards, vs just getting one better card. You might need to factor in another $100-$150 for a decent power supply for SLI or crossfire if you don't already have one,(I find it funny when people skimp on power supplies when they have a monster of a computer, and then can't figure out why things don't work 100% all the time), and a random no-name brand "600 watt" power supply doesn't cut it(you need to check the actual amperages on the various rails, that's why that spec sticker is on there, plus not all PSU's work worth a crap the higher the load gets.

There have been some issues with crossfire compatibility in games here and there(not many though), and nvidia's last 680i chipset does have a cpu compatibility issue. I'm not sure about crossfire, but I did used to have 2x 7900gs cards in my system, until I got sick of not being able to use my 2nd monitor in games so I took the 2nd card back to the store. SLI didn't support dual monitors at the time, not sure if they fixed it, so it may or may not be an issue for you.

12. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Yes good airflow and a quality PSU is a must. Watt means squat if you don't got the Amp's !
    As for SLI and Dual monitors. As far as I know you can't do both at the same time BUT... instead of physically switching on and off SLI, you can do it via software now, so you can disable and enable SLI in windows and reboot the system and you got Dual Monitors again. That's how it works with my SLI 7900GTO's.

13. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    Yea, I got sick of disabling and re-enabling it(especially since my 2nd monitor is so I can keep an eye on other stuff while gaming, having it disabled for SLI makes it useless), and that's why I returned the card. Last I heard there was some tweak so it was possible to disable and re-enable it without restarting windows, but even then, it doesn't do me any good.

You can just toss in a cheap non-nvidia pci card in the system for dual monitors while using SLI(the old way of getting 2 displays), but it has to be a non-nvidia card, otherwise the nvidia driver will disable the output on the third card(lame), and I didn't wanna bother with that.

14. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Well, techinally the new ATI cards will do Quad Monitor setup if you've got a crossfire going. Each card has two DVI ports (at least mine does) and in Crossfire it can support 4 monitors at once.

Now that's a wide screen!

15. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    That would work for me, if I was willing to deal with the ATI drivers. The last ATI card I had was a 9800pro, and after that software disaster ATI calls "drivers", I'm not dealing with them again until I see there's been a significant change in how they write their software.