What Generation Has Held Up Best?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Skullman, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Skullman

Skullman Dr. Wily's 32nd Robot

Through the years, there have been many, generations, all of which you know. All of them varying in quality, and over all value. Which generation of toys has held up the best? Was it G1, because of the metal pieces, and no ball joints? But then they get loose, and become unrepairable. Or is it another series?

I think that "Transformers: Energon" did a decent job of non-breaking figures for the most part. Same with "Transformers: Armada"

2. alex_kingdom

alex_kingdom Well-Known Member

If it a question of sterdiness, I'd say the most recent line are the best, Aminated, Universe/Classics, Movie?(I wouldnt touch a movie toy with yours but I guess they are well built). Stands to reason really the design and engineering has gotten better over time.

3. AMG

AMG Old School

GPS aside, I'd have to say that Beast Wars toys as a whole are the most reliable. They were built in a way that almost anything that pops off can be popped right back on. Plastic quality was great too.

4. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Not Beast Wars, G2, or Beast Machines. Or RiD actually. Or Alternators... this is really a process of elimination.

5. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I don't think people should immediately dismiss G1. Yeah, a lot of what you see on eBay etc is broken/junkers/incomplete with sticker and paint wear, but this is probably because it has been played with or worse, mistreated, over a 26 year period. Yes, so some of the joints loosen over time, but the fact that there are so many good condition G1 figures in people's collections and also, despite what I said, available on eBay, is a testament to how well made they were.
    I would say even more so when you look at some of the figures from '86 - '87 when die cast was phased out. The plastic was quite durable and with the exception of some of the white/grey colours, has held up very well.

I think it's also worth mentioning that back then, Hasbro didn't just churn out figures in the same way they do today in the context of bringing out a new line/different versions of the same character every few months.
    For example, they don't cry a river if your new ROTF toy breaks or gets worn out a few weeks after you've bought it, because they will only be releasing a repaint of it soon enough so you can go buy that instead. Strike Mission Sideswipe and NEST Bumblebee are 2 good cases in point. The originals of these figures didn't have to be of a particularly high quality becasue if they broke, kids would be able to go out and buy a very similar looking toy a few months later.

With G1, that wasn't the case.

6. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    It was the case.

The only pre movie molds I can think that didn't get more than one release are the combiners, Tracks, and Reflector (although I'm sure there are more). The G1 Optimus Prime mold got released more times than I care to count (but I will... original release, vs pack with Megatron, goodbye Convoy release, etc).

Then we had Targetmaster versions of a majority of the new movie character molds. Not even the dignity of a new character repaint or even a power up paintjob, just a new gun. If this was done now that would be a major point of fan rage I'd venture - imagine buying Universe Cyclonus without Nightstick, and then being told that the next line has the exact same figure with the exact same paintjob, and an extra gun.

Then there was that phase were we got an Optimus Prime at least every year, starting with Powermaster, progressing to Action master, and then just reverting to another release of the original mold.

7. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I'm not talking about reissues, which were some 20 or more years later. I'm talking about within the G1 toyline during it's original run. The Targetmasters are a slight exception of course as you say, but then there are exceptions to everything. But for the most part, each toy was only released once - at least here in the UK but I can't speak for what came out in the US. And Action Masters don't count because they are a different mold, as was Powermaster with prime.

By point is, that if you bought Wheeljack, or Jazz, or Soundwave for example, back in 1984/5, you wouldn't get another chance to own that figure for many many years to come, at standard retail that is (and that is waht I'm getting at). In some cases, some figures were never re-released at all, ie Wheeljack.

8. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    The Optimus Prime re releases I mention were from Generation 1 (ie were actually released in the 1980s and early 90s).

9. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd have to make a strong argument for Cybertron for three reasons:

1. They're very sturdy in my opinion. They don't have parts popping off every time you transform them, like many of the universe 2.0 and animated toys do.

2. They made some very good use of a HUGE range of mold sizes. The leader figures (optimus, metroplex) and Supreme figures (Primus, Starscream) were excellent, as were many of the scouts.

3. The scouts, deluxes and voyagers have been re-used to death in subsequent lines. Just think of how many repaints of cybertron guys we've had from Botcon to the first movie to universe 2.0 to ROTF. If that's not a testament to the staying power of a line, I don't know what is.

10. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I dont recall any use of cybertron scouts in the ROTF line. were they exclusives?
    As for my 2 cents i think g1/g2 held up the best over time. All of my figures that i did not play with to an early grave as a child are still in great shape. Admittedly thats not man but i main peice i can think of is my g2 Megatron. Joints still tiight, no yellowing or fading paint. The stickers have gone to hell for the most part and i lost most of the accessories but the electronics all still work to. My reflector also in great shape. What i have left of the protectobots as well. And my g1 beachcomber also in great shape.
    Still i do not think that we as collectors can really make a call and say one toy line is more durable because there are so many factors that are involved, such as die cast or all plastic, age of the toys themselves, and of course how hard they have been played.

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Wheeljack got a re-release as one of the Euro Classics, which is how I got mine. And Sunstreaker. :) 

But yeah, G1 can hold up pretty well. I played the hell out of mine when I was a kid and they're still in decent condition. I actually pulled my G1 Optimus out the other day while digging in storage for something else and was amazed to find all his chrome still intact. I also pulled out my Six-Shot and Overlord and they're like brand new. Even my G2 Electro hasn't fallen to GPS.
    Some figures obviously fare better than others but then that could be said of all TF lines, even the current one depending on how well someone treats their figures.

12. ANONYMOUS

ANONYMOUS Well-Known Member

You are technicly correct, but you are really making a stretch to make your case...VSX, Goodbye Convoy, were only released in Japan, and even there they were obviously limited in release or you would see a lot more of them. So yes, Optimus was released several times in G1, but really, whoever actualy had the opportunity to buy these? I don't know if these were showing up on your shelves in Australia, but I am pretty sure the rest of us around the world were not seeing these toys. Most G1 collectors didn't even know they existed until the golden age of the internet 15 years after they were released. And even now, how many people actually own those toys (VSX comes up for sale what...maybe 1 or 2 times a year if that). So to the other posters point, it wasn't like G1 optimus came out and then 6 months later you had a black version. There was not another repaint of that mold until G2 years later.

13. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

G1, BW, RID have been holding up pretty fine since their inception (toy- (sturdiness) and interest- wise). I predict the same for Classics/Universe/Generations lines.

14. Skullman

Skullman Dr. Wily's 32nd Robot

Excellent point.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I don't recall many Animated toys besides Starscream who have problems with parts popping off.

I wish they'd reissue or reuse some more BW moulds like they did Cybertron. Those were awesome. But yeah, Cybertron had great moulds. Too bad we're so used to seeing them people often don't acknowledge them.

16. tigermask44

tigermask44 Kills Cons Dead!

News Credits:
    The answer is easily G1